TMA block and IR block : difference ?

stefherbuel

Inspired
Can someone explain, please , the difference between a TMA block and IR block in term of "quality" ?
i understand TMA block is "tone matching", so it matches the eq of a sound/file/source , i did it today, it works great , but when i save it as a IR is it the same, just a "eq" match ? i thought the IR was more than a "big filter" ? if someone can explain the difference that would be great !

i mean TMA only take 5% cpu vs way more for cab block : if i use only TMA without saving it as an ir, will i lose "something" (exept room /low cut/hi cut / mic etc that we found in the cab block )
because if it's the same , i prefer build my patch only with tma blocs to save cpu , if it's the same "quality" as an ir.

to resume is TMA block as dynamic as IR cab block ?
thanks if you can answer me on that

I think the quality will be the same if you got the Tone Match right, so yes, it will save on CPU ! Many users have uploaded really good presets with a TM block and no cab block, so it works

Last edited:
Technically speaking, the TM block is inferior from what I read. There's nothing dynamic (speaker drive, motor drive) and the resolution is at 512, which is half of the cab's lo res mode.
The resolution is limited because it's part of the patch and has to be stored in there.

From what I've gathered, the Low Res TMA is at 512 points, the new High Res TMA is a double that 1024 points. The cab block IR in High Res is double that at 2048 points. However, everything hinges on how you capture the IR. If you capture the IR in the TMA at 512 points, putting into a High Res cab block wont change how it sounds. The opposite however, capturing the IR at 2048 points and putting it into the Low Res cab block, will make a big difference. Unless you capture the IR externally of the Axefx, you wont run into this situation. Though it is not mentioned in the Wiki, one would assume that the IR capture function inside the Axefx is at 2048 points.

The best of both world, probably, is to use a cab block followed by a tone match block. I prefer presets having both, they sounds "beefier" than TM only presets if you get what I mean. Plus, you can change the IR in the cab for tonal variations ; even if the tone match was done with one specific IR, you can get surprising results with another one, if you have the time and the will to experiment

Back
Top Bottom