Tips for filling out tones in a rock trio?

Stereo works live. I don't get these people that claim it only works in one position...do they only run their home stereos in mono since otherwise it would only sound good in one seat?

If you aren't sitting in a central position, you aren't experiencing the left/right balance as it is intended. It isn't the "stereo" that's making the music sound good in that situation it's the volume. But to each their own.

If you aren't sitting in a central position, you aren't experiencing the left/right balance as it is intended. It isn't the "stereo" that's making the music sound good in that situation it's the volume. But to each their own.

Simulated double tracking is way better in stereo than in mono. Many people will tell you that stereo doesn't work for live audiences but I've heard it work in small and large theaters very convincingly, including effects like auto-pan, doubling, split dry and wet, and more. I've also seen artists grow to the point of playing small arenas, at which point they need to give this up and return to mono.

Look...if you or anyone wants to run stereo live, own it and enjoy it. IME the logistics of getting it right were a waste of time. That said, when someone asks for help with a thin tone in a trio, all stereo processing does is add width to a thin tone. The answer is EQ and depending on scenario adjustments to gain and/or compression.

Look...if you or anyone wants to run stereo live, own it and enjoy it. IME the logistics of getting it right were a waste of time.
One of the tricks to running live in stereo is realizing that you don’t have to hard-pan your sources. Another trick is realizing that stereo sound can be exploited in ways that don’t involve trying to create a convincing sound stage.

That said, when someone asks for help with a thin tone in a trio, all stereo processing does is add width to a thin tone. The answer is EQ and depending on scenario adjustments to gain and/or compression.
Truth. To weave sound, you need to start with good thread. If the thread is thin, the resulting stereo “fabric” will sound a bit threadbare.

Another trick is realizing that stereo sound can be exploited in ways that don’t involve trying to create a convincing sound stage.

Sure, but the issue is any mono source is automatically converted to stereo in any room as we hear the ambience of the room in stereo. Add multiple mono sources spread stage right/left and the impact can be fairly dramatic in a really live space. Now add in an intentional timing difference and maybe the audience is getting a great spread, maybe a muddy mess. For those doing church stuff in a fixed setting, especially the high dollar places where acoustic design was a priority, I'm sure it works fine. In a typical bar/club...again, maybe. But I digress...people should do whatever makes them happy. I personally just am not a fan of trying to run stereo live. And again the op was specifically asking about a thin tone.

20230709_102434.jpg

This sideways thing (thanks Samsung phone camera) does a great job filling the room with sound. Ping-pong delays lose a little left/right width but gain some front/back depth in exchange....

Big thing Ive found for bringing down a thin sound live is simply turning down the hi cut in the cab block. Go as low as you need to get the tone where you want it. Disregard the value and just use your ears. For my tele I go down to about 3500. It’s an easy and uncomplicated fix.

Back
Top Bottom