Tips for Bringing Vox Amps to Life?

Hey guys. Looking for any tips on the Vox amps.

I find the stock presets as well as my own presets typically lacking that "amp in the room" feel as compared to the Marshalls and other amps in the Axe (which sound huge with v11 now by the way).

Just looking for any tips to create a more natural sounding base Vox tone, which I can then tweak to taste.

My deep editing skills aren't great but wondering if a clean boost and some hi/low cuts might be the answer. Haven't figured it out yet but assume a more skilled Axe user could help. Maybe the IRs need tweaking as well. Typically defaulting to the RW 2x12 Blue or Silvers.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Matt

Personally I favor the silver over the blue, but a nice 4x12 might solve some issues as well, even though it wasn't made for them. Also, the Vox amps go well with the treble booster, and especially the RAT :)

Turn up Comp. It defaults to zero in 11 beta as I had not gotten around to calculating the default value. I'm guessing around 5 or so.

A couple of days ago I shot some far field IRs of a mate's UK AC30 with celestion blues speakers. Afterwards I A/B'd the amp with the axe/FRFR from the same distance, and they sound similar. You can't get the huge 3d open back cab effect with IRs though. I'll post some when I pick my favourite mic positions from the bunch.

Turn up Comp. It defaults to zero in 11 beta as I had not gotten around to calculating the default value. I'm guessing around 5 or so.

Um, I'm finding many amps are defaulting to above 50% compression. This is not through AE, I looked via the face.

This is probably a more general Axe use question, but I downloaded Axeman's really great AC-30 patch posted above, and I noticed that it has a Presence knob when I first load it up. It sounds wonderful in this state- clear, and bright. I won't change a thing on the patch, but if I select another amp model and then go back to the AC-30TB model used in the preset, but sound is totally different- sort of dark and muddy, and the Presence knob is replaced by the Cut knob. Anybody have a clue why this is happening? I'm sure it has to do with resetting the amp model, but why would the amp have a Presence knob at first? And why the change in sound? Thanks!

Last edited:
This is probably a more general Axe use questianything EeI downloaded Axeman's really great AC-30 patch posted above, and I noticed that it has a Presence knob when I first load it up. It sounds wonderful in this state- clear, and bright. I won't change a thing on the patch, but if I select another amp model and then go back to the AC-30TB model used in the preset, but sound is totally different- sort of dark and muddy, and the Presence knob is replaced by the Cut knob. Anybody have a clue why this is happening? I'm sure it has to do with resetting the amp model, but why would the amp have a Presence knob at first? And why the change in sound? Thanks!

I believe that if you set Damping parameter in the advanced pages to anything else than zero the Cut turns into Presence.

When you reset the amp type, it goes back to the default values. The Vox amps have dampening at zero which turns the presence knob to a hi cut. That patch must have the dampening turned above zero.

i think the break through Cliff had on fw11 affects compression on many of the amps, that's why you see values that are higher like that. if i'm wrong, someone please correct me.

(and he obviously stated he hadn't set the compression for the VOX amps yet)

Ah! Thanks all! Yea, that dampening thing... I didn't know it'd change the presence knob to a cut. Thank you!

I also find it useful to increase damping on the AC30 models. A real AC30 has a high cut (as do the Morgan AC type amps), which we can assume from the model means no damping. I am curious why there is a difference in the model?

Back
Top Bottom