Tiny speaker suggestions for practicing?

My old bose soundlinks are unusable due to latency. If anyone knows of same size and sound quality but without latency- i want to hear about it.

Is there any noticeable latency when using its AUX?
I don't notice any added latency wired directly into iLoud from Axefx3 compared to spdif > octacapture interface > studio mons. The feel is good.

iLoud has a guitar input (1/4" with gain knob) and a trrs 1/8" in/out. The idea is that your guitar goes into iLoud's guitar input and, if you want to use external amp modelling/fx (ios/iphone w BiasFx in my case), a trrs cable is connected between iLoud's 1/8" jack and the trrs 1/8" io on your external device. The problem with this setup is with using the microphone/speaker io of most devices sounds bad and has more latency compared to using a dedicated audio interface. What I do to get a good + low latency sound from iLoud with amp modelling from my iphone is to use a dedicated portable interface into the iphone (iRig2) and with an 1/8" cable from iRig2 into iLoud - To play free of guitar cable with this, i use a cheaper plug style Donner wireless. I'm quite happy with this as my "micro" modelling rig.

1694727656364.jpeg

Last edited:
Indeed but different fidelity by far. I use mostly a single speaker
you can find a single used under 100. I love my guitar in mono anyway. I can lie to myself that its an amp:)

I'd love to see that price literally anywhere so I can buy it, but that's not real life unfortunately. Any used ones I can find are well over $200.

Tried iLoud and THR5 next to each other. Decided to send iLoud back.
Overall, both provided similar result. I have not noticed much latency. iLoud definitely has more extended low end. However, I felt it had somewhat less information in the mids than THR5. For my purposes, THR5 felt better, though I cannot say it's amazing. Just sounds OK for home practice.

I like to jam with headphones (Sony MDR-7506) while going through the THR10 at the same time (aux stereo from the FM3). I sit close to the THR10, which is usually set to low/moderate TV volume. I don't really hear the amp, but I kind of feel it. I read somewhere that playing totally silent (headphones only) can change the feel of the playing experience because the sound waves are no longer bouncing off/interacting with the guitar strings. I think there's definitely something to that (tried with and without), so I like to sit close to the amp with the speakers pointed right at the strings while enjoying a slightly more 'alive' sound through the headphones. I have the THR10 (older beige model) and the newer THR30II. I prefer the THR10 for monitoring the FM3 when jamming at normal TV volume. There is something more focused, present, sweet in the midrange about the THR10 to my ears compared to the THR30II, which I found a bit dark/wooly when using its aux input.
I just got a Mission Engineering Gemini 1 for band practice and gigs. But the first powered speaker I bought was the Headrush FRFR108, and that is just about perfect for my small practice space at home. A little global EQ cut on the bass and the headrush is kick ass.

Back
Top Bottom