Tinnitus sufferers: ever find anything that helps?

Ah! This is where a lot of my neck pain issues lie, probably due to a nearly 30 year old whiplash injury....

While a picture may be worth a thousand words, sometimes 3 words mushed together help you find the picture....

View attachment 95007

I have 'crepitus' also. Neck rolls sound like a bowl of rice crispies near a gun range. 🤪 Helps to have a name for it, thanks!
I tried also that, nothing works. I have almost no Inter vertebral disks between two cervical bones in my neck so we are going to target this fist, with plasma injections. If it does not help, I’ll go to bind the two vertebrae or something like that. It is all mostly posture related, shoulders forward and chest dominant muscles, and 20+ years shit sitting working on IT.

I tried also that, nothing works. I have almost no Inter vertebral disks between two cervical bones in my neck so we are going to target this fist, with plasma injections. If it does not help, I’ll go to bind the two vertebrae or something like that. It is all mostly posture related, shoulders forward and chest dominant muscles, and 20+ years shit sitting working on IT.
Yeah, the IT work does tear up the neck, shoulders, arms, and hands. Hope the injections provide you some relief!

Loss of taste or smell is not a side effect of the vaccines, it's a symptom of Covid. From Yale Health https://yalehealth.yale.edu/yale-covid-19-vaccine-program/covid-19-vaccine-side-effects:

While some of the common side effects are similar to symptoms of COVID-19, the following symptoms suggest COVID-19 infection and are not caused by the vaccine. If you experience any of these symptoms:
  • New loss of smell or taste
  • Cough or shortness of breath
  • Congestion/sore throat/runny nose/conjunctivitis (red eye)
  • Nausea/vomiting or diarrhea that develops after 72 hours

Understood and wasn’t trying to state that it was, merely trying to associate a rare, and at this point not fully understood change in hearing from the vaccine, with the not fully understood change in taste/smell from the virus that does seem to largely return for many affected individuals.

As I am now following some of these minority patients I can hope to see some positive changes in time, though I don’t think anyone can say at this point if this exceedingly rare side effect from the vaccine is permanent. Largely this is no different than most cases of sudden sensorineural hearing loss associated with ototoxicity, viral outbreak etc, with the exception that this vaccine is still rather new ground.

In no way is this an endorsement for or against the vaccine mind you, just a discussion regarding a rarely reported side effect which is obviously very impactful to musicians.

Understood and wasn’t trying to state that it was, merely trying to associate a rare, and at this point not fully understood change in hearing from the vaccine, with the not fully understood change in taste/smell from the virus that does seem to largely return for many affected individuals.

As I am now following some of these minority patients I can hope to see some positive changes in time, though I don’t think anyone can say at this point if this exceedingly rare side effect from the vaccine is permanent. Largely this is no different than most cases of sudden sensorineural hearing loss associated with ototoxicity, viral outbreak etc, with the exception that this vaccine is still rather new ground.

In no way is this an endorsement for or against the vaccine mind you, just a discussion regarding a rarely reported side effect which is obviously very impactful to musicians.
I wasn't sure if you were saying it was a side effect of the vaccine or not. It's just that there is so much misinformation out there, I wanted to make it clear that loss of tase/smell is not a vaccine side effect. It's all good!

I have a coworker that recently developed ringing in his ears after getting the covid shot.
I'm not on either side of the fence, just wanted to mention for the conversation.
The drummer in my band had the same. He said it lasted about 2 weeks.

Worthy of mention, he dabs cannabis concentrates all day, every day. He smokes cigarettes. He's a self employed mechanic out of his home garage. He's doesn't exercise. He doesn't eat healthy and he does not wear hearing protection and has played drums for 50 years. He also thinks he's Neil Peart and crashy bashy if we don't keep him under control lol....

Anyways, I think it all plays a role.

Tinnitus is very complicated because it's a symptom and not a condition. You can get it from noise damage, poor blood flow, mineral/vitamin deficiency, stress, ear infections, ear wax build-up, muscle tension(TMJ) etc

If you got T from noise damage which I presume a lot of people on a gear forum did there isn't a lot you can do but many people have found various supplements effective at lessening and even silencing T. One of the mechanisms that causes T is when the hairs inside you ear vibrate too much. They produce a neurotransmitter call Glutamate which causes the neves to fire up and even die. The result is constant ringing. For most the ringing goes away shortly after any noise exposure but for some it can last months and even be permanent. One way people have found relief is taking a glutamate-antagonist. The most commonly used one is NAC, N Acetyl Cysteine, which is an amino acid found in countless foods but not in a high enough concentration to achieve the desired affect. You can buy it any health store. It's commonly used in the army and workforces around the world as a way of preventing noise damage. I've read a lot of stories of people getting a lot of relief from taking just 600mg a day. I definitely notice a difference when I take it. Other over the counter glutamate antagonists are NSAIDS like Ibuprofen but these can also cause T by messing with your blood flow. It worth taking a high quality B-complex with NAC. It's worth noting that NAC can mess with anti-depressants if you are on them so its not wise to take them together.

Tumeric/Curcumin is also gaining a lot of popularity as a T treatment. It's not the easiest on the stomach but the results are noticeable quite quickly. I've read a lot of stories of people treating their noise, stress and blood flow caused T with it.

I've read a lot of stories of people getting relief from taking Zinc. to take Zinc properly you have to avoid calcium, magnesium and physic acid rich foods 2 hours before and after to really get the full affect. Otherwise it binds to them and isn't properly absorbed. First time I took Zinc the next day my T was way lower.

Poor blood flow is a major cause of T. It can be a difficult thing to treat because the veins and capillaries around the ear are so small. People have found a lot of success by targeting Nitric Oxide production. NO is a vasodilator that widens veins and allows blood to flow more freely around the body. If you're T goes up when you have a salty meal then it could be because of poor blood flow getting to the ear. There are countless ways of increasing NO. The most common one is ginkgo biloba which is one of the most common T treatments. More ways of boosting NO are other bioflavonoids Tumeric/Curcumin, NAC tinnitusinfo.net/does-ginkgo-biloba-help-with-tinnitus/Aged Garlic Extract, B-vitamins(low B12 is a very common cause of T and easily fixed by supplementing) etc. The problem here is its not a one way street. You need to really reduce your salt intake, Most people consume way over the RDA.

My recommendation is try NAC 600mg with a B-complex vitamin every morning and then ad in Zinc Picolante in the evening. Drink lots of water and document what you're eating. Many foods can make people's T spike. I know mine spikes with really salty food but I also seem to have trouble with tomatoes and cheese(both are salty but I can consume other salty food without nearly as much affect).
Hello. I have tinnitus that has been going on for 1 year. I'm considering using ginkgo biloba. My doctor recommended it. Do you think ginkgo biloba is helpful for tinnitus? Did you use it?

My tinnitus developed 4 years ago when I was 45 years old. I my youth I never protected my ears and had my share of loud rock concerts. For many years I was riding a motorbike, and always used hearing protection, after longer rides J would get some ringing in my ears that would be gone the next day.

The final push was a Korn concert in an indoor venue that I visited with one of my neighbors. It was crazy load!! Instead of listening to my body I stayed and had to pay the toll….from that day I had tinnitus to the level where it affected my functioning in work and everyday life.

Had to give up riding motorcycle because it would make things worse. Had to stop playing guitar at high volume as well.
On the positive side I picked up my old cycling hobby and now I am more fit than I was for a very long time.

The tinnitus is always there, the only thing that helps reduce it is avoid stress and acceptance. From the moment I was able not to pay attention tot the tinnitus things got better. I still do avoid noisy places where possible but also still visit concerts but only when wearing custom hearing protection. I

Hello. I have tinnitus that has been going on for 1 year. I'm considering using ginkgo biloba. My doctor recommended it. Do you think ginkgo biloba is helpful for tinnitus? Did you use it?
In my case it didn't helped.

It depends what's the cause of your tinnitus.
I tried it for a while and it worked, only to discover after a while that it was having only a placebo effect on me. Of course it was disappointing,
but that actually helped me to take the next step.

Hello Hakanx;

I've tinnitus as well, and have had it for some time.

I find that this supplement helps me greatly: https://soundbites.com/. It does not eliminate my tinnitus, but it greatly reduces it.

The folks there are very responsive, and will answer any and all questions you have about the supplement.

Vittorio

Dealing with it for over 30 years now. You can adjust to it, to a degree.

I spent way too much time listening to my tone through club stacks back in my 20's. If only I'd known then....

Back
Top Bottom