Tinnitus sufferers: ever find anything that helps?

Doug Notter

Inspired
I'm sure many here are in the same boat as me. I've got it pretty bad. The ringing has been more intense than usual the last few days for some reason I haven't figured out yet.

Have any of you ever found anything that actually helps with this? Even if just temporarily?

i have it for 10 years now. The big trick for me has been not to think about it. It comes back more intense occasionally but then disappears again by avoiding to focus on it. In a nutchell avoid thinking it is your enemy but more a friend that is there to stay.

Abnormal (primarily high) blood pressure can make tinnitus worse and it’s easy to check. Start there and seek treatment if it’s high.

BP taken several times recently due to a surgery. That's about the only thing on me that's consistently good. I should mention I've been dealing with it for over 20 years. I'm getting a bit "long in the tooth" as they say.

Stiff hands/fingers is another thing I'm dealing with. Advice there also welcomed. Any supplements or anything that help with that? My right hand flies but the fingers on my left stiffen up horribly. Granted it's only been several months since I started playing again after a long layoff but it's not showing much improvement with practice.

Getting old sucks. :tonguewink:

Exercise really helps my tinnitus - a hike, a long bike ride, something about wearing out the body slows the brain.
Some things can really aggravate it but since it’s usually cruising at Level 4, it doesn’t bother me at Level 5. However, coffee, booze, weed are triggers. I don’t expect my tinnitus to ever get better. There are worse things.

As for the hands, go get a quick X-ray. Arthritis is easy to spot but you might find a cyst or other correctable ailment that’s impeding your fingers. You might also consider steroids in addition to your NSAIDS. Growing old is all about managing decline.

Last edited:
I'm sure many here are in the same boat as me. I've got it pretty bad. The ringing has been more intense than usual the last few days for some reason I haven't figured out yet.

Have any of you ever found anything that actually helps with this? Even if just temporarily?

Interesting you said it’s been more intense the last few days. I’ve had Tinnitus for at least 20 years (I’m 55) and the last few days I’ve found it’s become more intense as well. What part of the world are you in? I’m wondering if it’s something weather related.

I have two amps and they both have power scaling, but it seems that no matter how low I have the volume on the amps, and I can get them really low, they seem to still bother my ears. Listening to a TV at the same volume doesn’t have the same effect. Is there something specific about a guitar speaker that would make the symptoms worse? I also try not to have the amps pointed directly at me.

One thing that does affect Tinnitus and make it worse, is caffeine. I try not drink coffee too late in the day so that the ringing isn’t too loud when I go to bed.

I’ve had tinnitus for as long as I can remember, certainly from pre-school age. I thought it was normal. It wasn’t until I was in my teens, and playing with oscillators in the school science lab, that I realised other people didn’t have it.

... The big trick for me has been not to think about it. It comes back more intense occasionally but then disappears again by avoiding to focus on it...

My brain has always filtered it out. It’s only when I have to focus on high frequencies, 4kHz and above, that I notice. An audiologist told me that tinnitus is the brain compensating for loss of high frequency hearing. That’s not the case for me because I had tinnitus long before any age or music related hearing loss. He wanted to treat me with hearing aids that boost above 4k, but that only made my tinnitus worse because it encouraged me to listen to those frequencies.

Interesting you said it’s been more intense the last few days. I’ve had Tinnitus for at least 20 years (I’m 55) and the last few days I’ve found it’s become more intense as well. What part of the world are you in? I’m wondering if it’s something weather related.

I have two amps and they both have power scaling, but it seems that no matter how low I have the volume on the amps, and I can get them really low, they seem to still bother my ears. Listening to a TV at the same volume doesn’t have the same effect. Is there something specific about a guitar speaker that would make the symptoms worse? I also try not to have the amps pointed directly at me.

One thing that does affect Tinnitus and make it worse, is caffeine. I try not drink coffee too late in the day so that the ringing isn’t too loud when I go to bed.

I'm in Phoenix. Still going as I wake up this morning. I mean it's always going... my baseline is unfortunately probably around a 7. Lately it's been a solid 9. I've been "What"ing people people to death lately.

Last edited:
An audiologist told me that tinnitus is the brain compensating for loss of high frequency hearing.

I just saw an interview w/ Lukather ..., he was saying that the exact frequency you hear is the brain compensating by replacing what's been lost ? I've never heard that before so maybe it's dubious ?

Anyway, he also talked about a phone application that supposedly helps re-train the brain to NOT do it anymore.

I'm one of the lucky ones that don't have tinnitus ( yet ), so I didn't pay attention that closely. But I'm sure an internet search might locate the information.

GOOD LUCK !

i have it for 10 years now. The big trick for me has been not to think about it. It comes back more intense occasionally but then disappears again by avoiding to focus on it. In a nutchell avoid thinking it is your enemy but more a friend that is there to stay.

I have to agree with this. Had it for a few years now and have been through periods of time where it was driving me crazy. I was focusing on it way too much. I finally just accepted that it will never go away, and my main focus now is ensuring I don’t make it worse. And of course constantly preaching to anyone that doesn’t use ear protection!

Having a nice set of IEMs along with custom ear plug molds helps. I never play a show without IEMs. Even if there is zero band mix. Enough bleeds through and I can safely have my volume where I need it to hear just fine. Or I’ll string up an ambient mic to mix in. The Axe Fx makes this very simple to do. But most times I can get band minus myself and feed that in. Done! I have my own mix that isn’t killing my ears.

I also try to have my ear plugs on me as much as possible. Then if I end up in situations that are overly loud, I am prepared.

So my current state is, I forget it’s there most times. And as soon as I pick up on it again, I kind of shrug it off and eventually I forget about it again. That is probably the best approach to manage it. Accept, try to do what you can to Prevent further damage, and the go about your day.

I just saw an interview w/ Lukather ..., he was saying that the exact frequency you hear is the brain compensating by replacing what's been lost ? I've never heard that before so maybe it's dubious ?

This is what I was told and is true. If you download a frequency generator app, you can dial in the frequency you are hearing using your ear that doesn’t have the ring going on. Mine is mainly the right ear. If I dial in around 2.5k and move the signal from my left ear over to the right, the sound from my phone goes away 100%. Was scary as heck when I first did that. Because it basically means, you can no longer hear that frequency anymore. And the ring is the brain making up for it.

I’m not and audiologist so just speaking from my own personal testing and results from an audiologist testing my hearing.

It's true, it's all in the brain. That's what an audiologist and my doctor told me.

I had my hearing tested and I actually have above average hearing for my age. It was absolute torture being in a soundproof booth though! The doctor also sent me to have the nerves in my ears tested to make sure it wasn't a tumour or something else causing the ringing.

Last edited:
Hello Doug;

I've had tinnitus for a long time, and have found that a nasal spray of Oxytocin ameliorates it greatly.

Here are the studies from which I learned about this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5613090/
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02508220

You'll need to work with a physician, to obtain a prescription, and a compounder to make you the nasal spray.

One spray in each nostril, twice a day helps me a lot!

Vittorio

This is interesting as I've never heard of it before. Your first link didn't work though.

If you download a frequency generator app, you can dial in the frequency you are hearing using your ear that doesn’t have the ring going on. Mine is mainly the right ear. If I dial in around 2.5k and move the signal from my left ear over to the right, the sound from my phone goes away 100%. Was scary as heck when I first did that. Because it basically means, you can no longer hear that frequency anymore. And the ring is the brain making up for it.

I wonder if reversing the phase of the generated tone would make the ringing stop ?

Tinnitus perception is quite often rather analogous to the perception of the brightness of a candle. Candle during the daytime you can notice but doesn’t draw attention, same candle at night, or when you draw the blinds, turn out the lights, seems like the brightest thing in the room even though the actual candle brightness did not change.

often we I see patients with anything that might be causing a temporary reduction in their hearing, such as some fluid or pressure in the ear, allergies,cold/sinus eye al., the external environment gets quieter and the tinnitus seems louder. Usually when the conditions resolve the tinnitus goes back to the usual level of awareness.

also keep in mind tinnitus perception can be sort of a vicious self fulfilling cycle. I tell patients it’s like asking how their shoes feel. When you actively thinking about the fit you can’t wait to take them off, let your feet get some air etc, but up until talking about it, you probably didn’t give them any thought. Likewise after a while you forgot about your shoes again for the rest of the day. Problem arises when one starts thinking about tinnitus before bed etc, “how loud will it be tonight...” and similar thinking. That usually leads to turning off the tv, lights etc and focusing on the tinnitus which of course you will find, and it will be quite noticeable.

As a result, often the ‘best’ management for tinnitus is to not make it more of an issue than it needs to be, essentially just trying to ignore it. Easier said than done for some people, and those are ones I see for more intervention, but in most cases I try not to make something turn into a bigger issue than it was previously by focusing on it.

I wonder if reversing the phase of the generated tone would make the ringing stop ?

It will not because it isn’t an actual sound, it’s the brains perception of an auditory stimulus. In fact, most fMRI scans reveal the auditory center of the brain isn’t even the area where the activity is taking place.

As such, real world tricks like phase cancellation don’t do anything helpful. Good idea for sure, but it’s been tried and tested to no success.

This is interesting as I've never heard of it before. Your first link didn't work though.
Hello Doug - thanks for the heads up.

I've fixed the link.

For everyone else here suffering from tinnitus, I would strongly recommend checking this out. We can improve our lives with this therapy, and it's not very expensive. I'm able to get a month supply for $47.

Vittorio

Hello Doug - thanks for the heads up.

I've fixed the link.

For everyone else here suffering from tinnitus, I would strongly recommend checking this out. We can improve our lives with this therapy, and it's not very expensive. I'm able to get a month supply for $47.

Vittorio

Very interesting for sure. I'll be asking my Doc about this. Thank you very much for the post.

For some more general background on my particular case, I've had it going on thirty years and it was brought about by, surprise, loud music. I used to be able to block it out or just not think about it but unfortunately as time has gone on it's gotten much worse. It's been my constant companion for years now. Even being in the shower doesn't drown it out. You just learn to live with it but I go through these phases like lately where it's just very noticeably worse than normal and almost impossible to ignore. I've never been able to pinpoint the cause of the flare ups. Could be diet based or something I guess but I don't remember anything out of the ordinary lately that could be responsible.

Back
Top Bottom