Time to say goodbye...

Status
Not open for further replies.

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
Hello all. Just dropped in to say goodbye. After a long time with the Axe-FX (and my Liquid Foot Pro+), I've come to the conclusion that I was spending more time messing with menus and patch editors/librarians than I was playing. I started out with effects in 1978 or so, with a couple of boxes on the floor. Since then, I really was a technophile/techno-lunatic at times, with some cutting edge setups over the years - truly extreme and outrageous for a guy in a local band. I had what I think was the first effects switching unit on the market, which was either a Roland or a Boss, I forget. I had lots of stuff on the floor. Then I had several racks with custom-wired quick-connectors, and a Sound Sculpture Switchblade controlling the show, and almost nothing on the floor. Then I got the Axe-FX Ultra and loved how warm and analog it sounded! Then I upgraded to the II. My last setup was a small rack with the Axe-FX II, a PCM-70, and a Lane mixer/mic preamp (I was running voice, viola, and guitar through my sound system). On the floor I had a Cry-baby volume-wah, the LF Pro+, and an Atomic CLR. It worked.

But I realize that I miss just twiddling physical knobs to get the sound I want - I miss the immediacy, the physicality, and the dedicated controls. I miss the ease of 1 pedalboard, 1 Atomic CLR wedge, 2 power cords, and two audio cords - one from the guitar to this board, the other from the board to the CLR..

So I built this monster and it sounds great, and it's inspiring me all over again to just... play! Like a kid! And, truth be told, there are just some things that sound better with this rig. I never could get the AXE-FX to sound as huge and creamy as the Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box does - or as friggin' rude and crazy as Cray baby wah-Angel Wing chorus-Deja Vibe-Golden Boy-Foxy does. It might be my programming chops, or it might be a limitation in the Axe-FX. Really, for me, that's a distinction without a difference - because I just don't want to spend all that time trying, and now I can get these sounds, in an instant, at the push of a button or three. Sound's not perfect today? Reach down and twiddle a knob or two. Immediate, and tactile, and, yes, I LOVE dedicated controls - it just makes it easier on my brain.

182883084_10159473890314579_6776430366574041287_n.jpg

So, I've sold the Axe. I'm selling the LF Pro+ on Reverb. And I'm saying goodbye.

Most of you have been incredibly helpful.

In the bad old days, when we discussed politics here, some cowards contacted me anonymously on my website and told me they were going to kill me, cursed me with anti-Semitic and racist remarks, etc. It was quite a shock, both because I tend to think music only brings people together (clearly not the case!), and also because I am a patriot, who believes that, at it's core, America is about the freedom to say and believe what you want, without fear of violence or retribution. Those gutless cowards shocked me, and sullied America. I will not miss their threats and abuse.

But to the rest of you: you're a great community! So helpful and supportive and knowledgeable and kind! I wish you all the best!

- Samuel

Last edited:
Best wishes to you in your musical pursuits, Samuel! The Axe Fx is a great tool, but I’d imagine that Cliff would be the first to tell you it’s not the only way to make music. There are many roads home.

It is indeed unfortunate that a difference of opinion has become “Us and Them” these days. Its like living the early 70s again. This, too, shall pass. You’re enjoying playing guitar, and that’s what’s important here! Stop in for a visit from time to time.

Watch out for beer-spilling drunks approaching that beast!

Why say goodbye? It's only a gear forum, free to stay.

I have yet to gig post-Covid but I still have tube amps, pedalboard, a CLR, FM3 and my older but still trusty AX8 to play with. I've gone back and forth between rigs for years, I know what you mean about the appeal of actual pedals with knobs to twist. They're fun! Trying, buying, trading pedals is fun too.

Menu diving with Fractal products is also fun but in a different way, as are firmware updates. Key is to not overly obsess with details, like spending hours A/Bing every advanced parameter, or testing 10,002 IRs to narrow it down to your favorite 500. o_O

Beyond the fun factors, when it comes back to choosing the most optimal toolset for band jobs, it sure is nice having 'presets' to re-call. My biggest problem with pedalboards is my tendency to kick knobs out of place, and always having to bend down and twist knobs during a show. I sing, so I can't always keep my eyes on my feet while I stomp.

Anyway, choose your own path. I'm still having my fun with pedals, amps and Fractals... room for it all.

I definitely get the desire to use physical pedals. it’s always fun to have an bunch of easy to tweak knobs right in front of you.

I gotta say, I’m a little surprised that this isn’t actually an “I’m going back to tube amps” post. The ACS1 is an interesting little modeler. Arguably not in the same league of Fractal’s modeling. I kinda would have expected a rig like this to be using an FM3 as the amp/cab sim along with all these amazing pedals. Though, I guess that would leave some temptation to tweak/menu dive.

I definitely get the desire to use physical pedals. it’s always fun to have an bunch of easy to tweak knobs right in front of you.

I gotta say, I’m a little surprised that this isn’t actually an “I’m going back to tube amps” post. The ACS1 is an interesting little modeler. Arguably not in the same league of Fractal’s modeling. I kinda would have expected a rig like this to be using an FM3 as the amp/cab sim along with all these amazing pedals. Though, I guess that would leave some temptation to tweak/menu dive.
Honestly, I'm using the ACS1 in mono but with two 'amps' - Fender and Vox - coming out of it, and it's good enough for me - especially because the Golden Boy gives me great touch sensitivity. I guess I'm not that much of a purist anymore - and even my Princeton seems heavy to me these days (anyone want to buy a vintage master-volume modded 1966 Fender Princeton with an EVM 12 in it?). And... tubes... reliability... etc. The micro-delay of both the Axe and the ACS1 are perceptible to me, and not optimal - neither has the absolute immediacy, for me, of an amp (solid state or tube), but I'm used to it.

Soon I'll get a second CLR Wedge and have some stereo fun. I think I'm digging the sound I'm getting out of this rig more than my Axe rig - not because of limitations of the Axe, but because of my own limitations and impatience as a tweaker. At any rate, having a Fender/Vox sandwich plus a touch response that's 'good enough', is good enough for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom