Time to really get my FM3 dialed in for a radio contest!

Ledvedder

Inspired
My local cover band has been selected as a semi-finalist in a local classic rock radio station contest to be their "house" band for 2025. We entered the contest as sort of a "what the heck, let's see what happens" kinda thing, and here we are.... One of 12 bands selected.

With that said, there are many rules to this contest. We can only play for 20 minutes, no sound check, and the radio station/venue is providing the back line. They'll have a Mesa Lonestar and a Fender Twin Reverb. 2 amps I've never used. I've mostly been a Marshall plexi / JCM800 player.

This really makes me feel like I should get my FM3 dialed in to use for live gigs. Especially this one. I'm hoping I can get good tones dialed in before the 25th of this month.

My local cover band has been selected as a semi-finalist in a local classic rock radio station contest to be their "house" band for 2025. We entered the contest as sort of a "what the heck, let's see what happens" kinda thing, and here we are.... One of 12 bands selected.

With that said, there are many rules to this contest. We can only play for 20 minutes, no sound check, and the radio station/venue is providing the back line. They'll have a Mesa Lonestar and a Fender Twin Reverb. 2 amps I've never used. I've mostly been a Marshall plexi / JCM800 player.

This really makes me feel like I should get my FM3 dialed in to use for live gigs. Especially this one. I'm hoping I can get good tones dialed in before the 25th of this month.
You have plenty of time to nail it. Do it with your band rehearsals. Are you allowed to bring a speaker or into FOH? Congrats and best luck! Sounds like a good time.

You have plenty of time to nail it. Do it with your band rehearsals. Are you allowed to bring a speaker or into FOH? Congrats and best luck! Sounds like a good time.
It says only guitars, cables, and pedals. I'm trying to find out about a direct to FOH option.

I would think they will have at least a mixer to get you guys on-air.

We did something similar years ago but brought our own gear, it was an outside event. They had a mixer hooked up to their portable booth, and a guy mic’ing us up, probably a paid service.

What do you use live now?

I would think they will have at least a mixer to get you guys on-air.

We did something similar years ago but brought our own gear, it was an outside event. They had a mixer hooked up to their portable booth, and a guy mic’ing us up, probably a paid service.

What do you use live now?
Right now, I'm using a 20 watt JCM800 style head that I built, and either a 1x12 or 2x12 with greenbacks. My "amp" pedalboard has a Line 6 HX Effects which I use in 4cm with my head.

But I've been wanting to transition to the FM3. I've just been nervous about it.

That may be tricky using the FM3 in place of the HX effects since its only 3 button. But I suppose that it depends on what effects you use, how often, and if you can access all your stuff in a timely fashion. I'd almost snag an FC6 and throw the effects over on that.
But as far as your basic amp tone goes, that should be super easy to replicate... and may even sound better!

Good luck! Sounds fun! Let us know how it goes!

Try to get an hour or two alone with their backline. Spin up some likely pre effects and tweak your heart out.

Right now, I'm using a 20 watt JCM800 style head that I built, and either a 1x12 or 2x12 with greenbacks. My "amp" pedalboard has a Line 6 HX Effects which I use in 4cm with my head.

But I've been wanting to transition to the FM3. I've just been nervous about it.

Probably just bring your pedalboard in case they won’t let you go into the PA. Seems a bit pedantic of the people running it but likely aimed at fast band changes. Best luck man!

You have all these amps in FM3. Use the time you have to get to know how they react and how their channels work.

Start with basic preset with amp and cab blocks. First use amps you know, you'll add Fender and Meda later. Plug your pedalboard into FM3 and see how that sounds. Play with amp settings in FM3 to get it close to the miked sound you know. Make sure you select correct speakers and mics.

Then build a few presets, which replicate your pedalboard. Use the JCM800 amp model or some Plexi. Use the IR of the cab you use.
Set pedal and amp models the way you normally use real ones, note the difference, note the similarities. Basically, start with the preset from step 1 above.
Use scenes to have combinations of active pedals you normally need to avoid tap dancing.

When it is as close to your rig as possible, copy the presets and replace amps to target amp models. Use matching dyncabs. See how sound changes, how you need to adjust the amp and your pedals. Practice changing it. Practice creating scenes.

Now create another copies of the presets, remove amp and cab blocks there. These presets can go directly to the amp in the venue. It will sound close enough, miked cab will be the main differentiator.

Do a couple band practices with it, compare, adjust.

Then you can take FM3 and use it to FOH or to amp. You will have presets for both and some experience using them.

Last edited:
You have all these amps in FM3. Use the time you have to get to know how they react and how their channels work.

Start with basic preset with amp and cab blocks. First use amps you know, you'll add Fender and Meda later. Plug your pedalboard into FM3 and see how that sounds. Play with amp settings in FM3 to get it close to the miked sound you know. Make sure you select correct speakers and mics.

Then build a few presets, which replicate your pedalboard. Use the JCM800 amp model or some Plexi. Use the IR of the cab you use.
Set pedal and amp models the way you normally use real ones, note the difference, note the similarities. Basically, start with the preset from step 1 above.
Use scenes to have combinations of active pedals you normally need to avoid tap dancing.

When it is as close to your rig as possible, copy the presets and replace amps to target amp models. Use matching dyncabs. See how sound changes, how you need to adjust the amp and your pedals. Practice changing it. Practice creating scenes.

Now create another copies of the presets, remove amp and cab blocks there. These presets can go directly to the amp in the venue. It will sound close enough, miked cab will be the main differentiator.

Do a couple band practices with it, compare, adjust.

Then you can take FM3 and use it to FOH or to amp. You will have presets for both and some experience using them.
Can I connect my HX Effects to my FM3 in 4cm?

Well, my first rehearsal with the FM3 was "ok". I was using it into my tube amp's return, with no cab block. I had dialed in presets for each of the songs we're doing at the gig. A few sounded better than others. The 1959SLP model has some strange midrange tone to it that just wasn't feeling right to me. Honestly, the feel was a thing that seemed lacking. But I'll continue to fine tune these presets.

I was noticing a slight delay when tapping a footswitch to change scenes, and the actual scene changing. Just like slight milliseconds, but it did cause me to miss the very beginning of a solo or 2. Any ideas why that is?

My bandmates and I went to see the 1st night of the contest last night. It's split out into 3 nights, with 4 bands each night. We wanted to see the backline and layout ahead of time. I spoke to the soundguy about using my FM3 into the PA. He said no, they want the bands to use the amps that they're providing. Ugh! Well, 3 of the 4 bands had issues with the Mesa. I'm not sure what was actually happening, but they weren't getting sound out of it.

I think this contest is more of a “reality” show to stir up audience interest. One by one, the contestants step up to do their thing, while the production team throws some shit in their path. Conflict and drama ensue. Three bands can’t make a tube amp work? I think that situation was crafted.

Good job scouting the venue beforehand.

I was noticing a slight delay when tapping a footswitch to change scenes, and the actual scene changing. Just like slight milliseconds, but it did cause me to miss the very beginning of a solo or 2. Any ideas why that is?
If you have hold functions assigned to those footswitches, they trigger on release instead of tap (p80 of the FM3 Owners Manual). That might be just enough for you to notice as a slight delay.

Back
Top Bottom