Time dependent variables in speaker emulation

Urke

I found myself wondering about impulse responses, and how they relate to an actual speaker cabinet. From all the technical banter among more enlightened people I've eavesdropped on, I've gathered that frequency specific phase and envelope distortions are also characteristics of any cabinet. It is my understanding that IR's, as they are implemented now, only emulate the static frequency response of the modeled cabinet. Correct me if this is not the case...
And this is not to say that the IR's aren't convincing already! I have a hard time telling the difference between the modeled and actual cabs. This is rather an attempt at brainstorming. How could one incorporate these quirks into existing modeling? Is it possible with current CPU limitations? And most important of all, do they actually make a difference? Let's hear it!

From what I have read from the so-called experts, the non-linear characteristics of speakers/cabs are negligible. IRs work for me as-is, but I certainly welcome developments.

I was thinking along the lines of a narrow band dynamic EQ. No idea how CPU intensive that might be tho...

Curiosity is the fuel of progress... on the other hand, it also killed the cat. What luck that they happen to have nine lives, because the ones I have are the nosiest creatures I've ever come across :D I wonder if they'd give me more space if I taught them to play guitar...

I found myself wondering about impulse responses, and how they relate to an actual speaker cabinet. From all the technical banter among more enlightened people I've eavesdropped on, I've gathered that frequency specific phase and envelope distortions are also characteristics of any cabinet. It is my understanding that IR's, as they are implemented now, only emulate the static frequency response of the modeled cabinet. Correct me if this is not the case...
And this is not to say that the IR's aren't convincing already! I have a hard time telling the difference between the modeled and actual cabs. This is rather an attempt at brainstorming. How could one incorporate these quirks into existing modeling? Is it possible with current CPU limitations? And most important of all, do they actually make a difference? Let's hear it!

Check out all the other parameters in the CAB block other than the IR itself.

Back
Top Bottom