Tighten Deluxe Tweed's Low

Jan Geerts

Experienced
The deluxe tweed is my fave amp, and I love its looseness in the lows, but for some tunes, I'd like it a bit tighter.
Which parameters should I tweak?

thanks

Jan

I tried that, that doesn't work. I gave the Supertweed a go, and that seems to be getting where I want. I'm going to play around with that one

Jan

A couple of things you can do, use the cut switch in the amp block or raise the lo cut freq in the adv parameters. Increase the definition parameter slightly. Also, try a different cab. That can have a huge difference on tightness..

Cut switch in the Amp block.

TS808 Drive in front with Drive on zero. Set the tone to match with the block bypassed (compensate for the pedal tone to make it neutral).

That cut does work, which also means I wasn't adventurous enough with the low cut, as in the first suggestion. Man, I love this amp. Having seen Neil Young and Crazy Horse this week doesn't have anything to do with it :D

thanks

Jan

Yeah you have to cut the lows before the amp (cut switch does this) to tighten it up. If you want more fine control, use a filter or EQ block in front of the amp to control the exact frequencies and how much cut you get. You can always add bass back after the amp if it gets too thin. Check out Cliff's notes on the power of pre-eq.

Yeah you have to cut the lows before the amp (cut switch does this) to tighten it up. If you want more fine control, use a filter or EQ block in front of the amp to control the exact frequencies and how much cut you get. You can always add bass back after the amp if it gets too thin. Check out Cliff's notes on the power of pre-eq.

The amp block has a hicut (in advanced parameters) where you can select the frequencies as well, if you do not want to add a peq or filter in front.

The amp block has a hicut (in advanced parameters) where you can select the frequencies as well, if you do not want to add a peq or filter in front.

Did you mean low cut?

I've never gotten a good feel for which of the several means of cutting lows works best, or what the differences are. They must happen during different parts of the signal chain in the amp, but I don't know where. There's the aforementioned "Cut" parameter, the transformer LF frequency, the power amp LF...I can't remember them all. It certainly seems to be the case that what works varies according to the amp being used. "Cut" works great on some amps, but absolutely neuters others.

Sorry, yes low cut. The Cut switch is a milder cut, the low cut is variable with its frequency. They both happen at the input of the amp. If you look at the amp block section of the manual it show where most parameters are processed within the amp block.

Yeah it's low cut. It cuts bass at the input of the amp too. I forgot about that one. I usually don't mess with the advanced parameters much.

Sorry, yes low cut. The Cut switch is a milder cut, the low cut is variable with its frequency. They both happen at the input of the amp. If you look at the amp block section of the manual it show where most parameters are processed within the amp block.

Ah, yes. RTFM...haven't done that in a bit. Thanks!

try damping. some modified versions of the amp make use of a negative feedback loop i believe, and it would drastically reduce that low end looseness.

just noticed you mentioned using the supertweed and that it was more in the direction you wanted, and I know for sure that it uses negative feedback, so go ahead and try raising the negative feedback on the deluxe tweed in the advanced parameters.

Back
Top Bottom