Tight bottom end

sgilsinger

Inspired
I've read on here before but can't find it now, I was wondering which parameters to adjust to tighten up the bottom end? Thanks

4c72f3256d3434c3e66d15fdab04ce250fba2e059fbe2443554237e243b55317.jpg

Thats a pretty broad question, its like asking 'which parameter makes the tone clearer.' There can be many answers.

What model are you using, and what kind of music? Have you tried going through a few different impulses (if you go FRFR)?

Lowering Bass would be my first port of call, but there's also the Low Res on the speaker page, using an overdrive in front of the amp block, etc.

Reactions: Rex
The amp block basic page, tone stack, cut, master and the IR chosen for the cab block are the place where I start.

I get the amp block where I trust the basic settings, then audition IR's until I get closest to the sound I want.

Using a Filter, PEQ, or GEQ before the amp block to cut bass and then the amp block GEQ or another EQ after the amp block to add bass back is a common technique.

The amp block spkr page low res frequency and amount are a mystery to me still :) But I know they are using also by a lot of FAS programmers.

Learn about the real version of the amp block you are using. Some amps are run in real life with the tone stack bass at zero.

Eventually use a high pass filter with the low cut frequency controlled by an envelope controller. Works flawless.

12 dB/oct high-pass filter set between 60Hz and 140Hz in the Cab block. I personally use 18 dB/oct high-pass in my DAW, though. But, the Cab block will do the trick.

I believe Cliff said to turn down the bass control in the basic preamp (also turn on the bass cut), and turn up the dynamic depth (I put it on 2-3) on the dynamics tab of the Amp block. Works for me.

Depends on the amp. The above suggestions are good - but look for the amp in the Wiki list. For instance, the Recto Modern sounds amazing but has one of the most difficult low ends to tame. But, a la Cliff:
"The Modern mode in Rectos has no negative feedback so there's a huge bass boost from the speaker impedance. Fortunately you can reduce this by reducing the LF Resonance on the Spkr tab which is something you can't do with the real amp without trying different speakers or cabinet."
Another useful one is to turn the bass knob on a Mesa Mark amp inversely to the Drive - as you turn up Drive/gain, turn down Bass. It's normal to turn it entirely off with gain at max on a Mark IIC+ for instance.
From there, add some back in with the GEQ built into the amp.

So check out your amp in the list as a first stop.
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

Another vote here for messing with the LF resonance on the speaker page of the amp block. You can make a massive change to how the the model sounds with just this.

In the AxeFX, I cut anywhere from 80 to 100 Hz in the cab block. Sometimes I use the cut switch in the amp block. Gotta dial in the preset at loud volume, though.

In the gym, squats and weighted hip extensions.

Back
Top Bottom