Thoughts on this live rig configuration (1 cable to rule them all)?

alxndr

Hey guys, I have this dream - not sure why, OCD maybe - of sending vocals, guitar, and iPad (vocal/guitar loops, drum kit, etc) to the PA/mixer with just 1 (mono) cable during practice. Here's how I'm planning on doing this:

Set the Apogee to sum to mono...

Guitar => Shure Wireless => AX8 (XLR left out) => Apogee Duet 2 (XLR left in) => PA (TRS to XLR cable)

Mic => TC Helicon Perform V => Apogee Duet 2 (XLR right in) => PA (Same cable as above)

iPad (drum loops, loops of vocals or guitar) => Apogee Duet 2 => PA

At a performance if I want to give sound guy guitar and mic signals i would just send one through the left out and other through the right out?

Let me know if this is confusing, but do any red flags jump out? I don't think there would be a latency issue because guitar and mic would be directly monitored right?

This way I can control mix/levels and loops from iPad, and if I set up MIDI then could even change AX8 presets. All while sending just one cable to the board or FRFR.

I don't see the point in trying to save cables on stage. I mean, there's a stage box with plenty inputs so why save channels ? I understand you want to influence the mix. This is probably ok in small clubs when you have no sound guy to control the mix but in case there's someone at the desk he's not going to like it when you're messing up his mix.

This is more for weekly practice, which does not have a sound guy. When we perform I'm thinking I can always send vox on a separate output.

I would be concerned about adding latency using the Apogee and the wireless. How are you hearing the guitar? From the PA?

This is more for weekly practice, which does not have a sound guy. When we perform I'm thinking I can always send vox on a separate output.
Why not just get a cheap mixer... you can pan L/R outs to go to different PA channels for rehearsal.
For gigs.. ? NO.. go direct.

I wouldn't want to rely on a single cable on stage, instead spread the risk across multiple. However, it could be a desperate measure if you're running out of channels on an analog multicore.

Sounds like a complicated solution to a problem that isn't there - at rehearsal just run cables to the mixer, at gigs use the stage box etc.

If you were submixing and wanting to keep control of your mix then I can see more value but as said above I'd just use a cheap mixer to get the same result with more control.

Back
Top Bottom