Thoughts on Peavey Classic 60/60 ?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
As it says.

Ive checked out some valve power amps to replace my Art SLA. The Marshall 9100 (or 50/50) is OK - but just OK, and at around £400 used and £700 new isnt the best option.

My 1st choice is a VHT 2:50:2 - BUT ther elike rocking horse poo used over here - and at £1250 new out of my range for now.

Ive been offered a Peavey Classic 60/60 in good condition for £175 delivered and im really tempted (as a stop gap until I can save enough for the VHT). Any insite into the amp would be appreciated.

I had one which I liked for tube tones, but it colours the sound a lot (plenty of squashy compression) so probably not great for AxeFx if you want to hear the best of its amp modelling.

OK. Can you give me an idea of how much it colours the sound?

For instance, the VHT amps dont colour much at all - the Mess 2:90 does though. The Marshalls also sound Marshally rather than neutral. Is the OPeavey better, worse or about the same as these amps?

Does it perfrom better when backed off?

I wouldnt run it flat out - maybe 3/4 then use the Axe vol.

I tried a Marshall 9100 monoblock and it was OK. Id have had that as a stop gap except he wanted £500 which was stupid. It the Peavey was £250 upward I wouldnt concider it BUT the price makes it tempting for 6 months till I can get the VHT

Is that the amp with the green/pink letters? I A/B'd it in a store with a MESA 50/50 when they both were new and the MESA was much warmer and louder. Whether or not that is a pre for the Axe-fx I can't say. Loved the 50/50 though.

Not sure on the lettering. i wouldnt expect it to be as nice as a messa 50:50 - BUT the only 50:50 I can find is US, and comes in at £350 before shipping, and its EBay so the price could well rise. The Classic 60/60 is £175 delivered.

Just found another option. Its an Old (probably same eara as the 60/60) 900 series Marshall 50/50. Big Black lump :lol: Comes in a flight case though. would this be a better or worse option than the peavey classic 60/60? Anyone know?

I dont know much about power amps this old - im up to speed on newer models (well anything released in the last 10-12 years or so) but not so on the older ones.

As stated - Ill keep my Art SLA as a backup so Im not burning bridges. At their prices I wont loose too much If there useless with the axe an I sell them on. It would also only be a stop gap until I can fund a 2:50:2 - 6 to 12 months maybe.

EDIT* The Peavey lookes like this:

http://www.theguitardoctor.co.uk/peavey.jpg

The Marshall like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-9000-Ser ... 3%26ps%3D6

Personally I would put up with the SLA for a wile longer and save your cash for when you find a deal on the VHT.

Yeh. I have a line on a VERY cheap ex demo 2:50:2. Its out of my price range now BUT if the shop will take a deposit now with the rest paid 1 March Im having it :D

paulmapp8306 said:
Yep, that's the one. Sorry for the confusion, It's been twenty years or so. As I recall the difference between the MESA and the Peavey was HUGE. It was like "Is this thing (Peavey) even healthy?" Maybe it was just a volume taper thing, or it really was unhealthy. It was in a store, they were both new, just plugging cables into the same cab. I had a Peavey Rockmaster preamp in those days and was looking to upgrade from a Marshall Valvestate 8008. I liked the Rockmaster a lot, so I really wanted to like the power amp. Loved the Peavey Classic tweed-style combo's too.
Those are HEAVY suckers. Don't know what a VHT weighs, though.

I use to have two of the peavey 60/60's in my racks back in the day, using ada mp1's and Marshall preamps. Amps are built like tanks and can take the abuse.
I did like the 60/60 since they used 6L6 power tubes than a EL34. To my ears the 6L6 was tighter, less colorful, more focus. Kinda like a small KT88 when not pushed.
But ehen you do push them, they will give up the breakup around 40 watts it starts. Great tube power amp on the cheap. The Marshall 9005 is all about the EL34's.
Two JCM 800 50 watt power sections with a lot of EL34 character, smooth midrange chunk when pushed.

I do not have the peaveys any more, but still have my old 9005 ;)
But for the Ultra, I use my Mesa 2:90 :)

Back
Top Bottom