Thoughts from Cygnus users through tube power amp/cab

In most cases, I chalk the inability to dial in a sound one is going for up to the wrong IR choice. Unless there’s some very specific tone that can only be created by a combination of several pieces of gear all working outside they’re intended purposes, I can’t see how it can’t be dialed in with a III, or even an FM3, with the subtraction of an additional amp.

Recently there was someone on another forum griping about not being able to recreate what he did with his Dual Rec in Orange mode with the Master cranked and the gain down but only when the moon was pulling hardest on the ocean when combined with his tube screamer when the battery was almost dead using cords spun from the taint hair of a medieval-era bridge troll to plug it all in.

It’ll be a while before Cliff can model bridge troll taint hair, but outside of that, I think 99.8% of guitar tones are able to be dialed in at this point.
I'm happy with the tone ,but I think the feel on clean tones has a way to go.

I prefer a SS amp with my set up (Crest CA9), but use Cygnus into a real cab. My favorite amp is a JMP 2204 and I mostly use the Fractal Brit 800 sim. Both into an '81 1960A.

With Ares, the sound was pretty much right on, but it didn't push as much air (the thump or slam or something wasn't the same). It certainly was good enough though.

Cygnus does seem to have helped make the Fractal closer to the real amp. If I'm honest I might actually prefer the Cygnus Brit 800 to the actual 2204, but that might be because I don't often crank up the 2204.

Cygnus isn't perfect; the 5150 is another amp I really like, and Cygnus still doesn't exactly match the thump and slam of that amp, but it still sounds good enough for rock and roll.

IME, YMMV, etc.

Is there any thing worse? wow. What really sucks if it's tucked in a rack and it's hard to get to. Is there anything wrong with running a bead of hot glue over the connectors where they contact or a dab just to make sure they don't come out unintentionally? Would probably take 10 extra seconds in the assembly.

I prefer a SS amp with my set up (Crest CA9), but use Cygnus into a real cab. My favorite amp is a JMP 2204 and I mostly use the Fractal Brit 800 sim. Both into an '81 1960A.

With Ares, the sound was pretty much right on, but it didn't push as much air (the thump or slam or something wasn't the same). It certainly was good enough though.

Cygnus does seem to have helped make the Fractal closer to the real amp. If I'm honest I might actually prefer the Cygnus Brit 800 to the actual 2204, but that might be because I don't often crank up the 2204.

Cygnus isn't perfect; the 5150 is another amp I really like, and Cygnus still doesn't exactly match the thump and slam of that amp, but it still sounds good enough for rock and roll.

IME, YMMV, etc.
I'm of the opinion that these are limitations of the power amp.

Every time I graduate up a power amp I get closer to the 'WALLOP' of my SLPs. I lament that it might take a $2k Lab-Gruppen to finish this.

@Griff_NZ @laxu

Here´s some amp in the room sounds of my ax3 with cygnus FW16.01.

you can also compare to my other videos with real amps.

I think it can be heard on video, how good the cygnus really is.

How was your approach with Cygnus - reset of your amp block's, or did you use your old settings as a starting point?
I had quite a long way to nail my cab tones (fine adjusting many advanced paramters, high/low cuts, high treble, leveling ...) and i'm a bit afraid to redial everything again :D

How was your approach with Cygnus - reset of your amp block's, or did you use your old settings as a starting point?
I had quite a long way to nail my cab tones (fine adjusting many advanced paramters, high/low cuts, high treble, leveling ...) and i'm a bit afraid to redial everything again :D

Reset amp block for me was for sure a way to go as changes from previous fw has been very obvious.

With cygnus, I tweak outside of authentic page only a few things :

• Input dynamics (I always set this from 0 to 1 for every amp model, simple, but one of my best tweaks) :)
  • speaker compression (3 or less for hi gain sounds, 3 or more for edgy/chrunchy sounds)
  • speaker time (200-500ms for tight hi gain sounds, 2000-3500ms for edgy/chrunchy/clean sounds)
  • negative feedback always to taste, most powerful advanced tweak IMO.

I tweak nothing else and with this simple tweaks I made it to sound/feel better than my real amps. :)

I would also appreciate your presets! I'd love to compare them to my current sounds :)
sure, no problem, but bear in mind that I tweak almost nothing advanced as mentioned in previous post :)

I basically just adjust the tone stack to speakers in my cab (alnico creams + redbacks).
They need just a tiny little bit of EQ´ing to sound perfect.

I'm of the opinion that these are limitations of the power amp.

Every time I graduate up a power amp I get closer to the 'WALLOP' of my SLPs. I lament that it might take a $2k Lab-Gruppen to finish this.
Bryston 4B will do it, used if $$$ are a concern (20yr warranty, although I have NEVER had one fail). It’s all about “transient response”, and the toroidal xformers in the 4B have it in spades.

Reset amp block for me was for sure a way to go as changes from previous fw has been very obvious.

With cygnus, I tweak outside of authentic page only a few things :

• Input dynamics (I always set this from 0 to 1 for every amp model, simple, but one of my best tweaks) :)
  • speaker compression (3 or less for hi gain sounds, 3 or more for edgy/chrunchy sounds)
  • speaker time (200-500ms for tight hi gain sounds, 2000-3500ms for edgy/chrunchy/clean sounds)
  • negative feedback always to taste, most powerful advanced tweak IMO.

I tweak nothing else and with this simple tweaks I made it to sound/feel better than my real amps. :)

How do you set the Speaker Impedance Curve?

I'm still using tube amp + cabs, just did all the FW and factory preset updates, but your question is confusing, at least to me.

You're asking about Axe 3, but then you say you're using FM3. Do you not have an AF3, and you're asking for when the FM3 gets Cygnus?

And by "stomped on your tube amp gas", you mean Cygnus is good enough to not need to use one any more? But if you don't want to go FRFR, then what...? What is Power Station & Quad?
hey men respect , how do i use my Victory Sheriff 44 Amp + Cab with the Axe fx iii to get the best result ? i love the Amp and i don't wanna use it just as a Power amp . what the routing ?

Why are you messing with speaker compression and impedance curve if you're using a real cab? Shouldn't that be left alone/Off?

Also if the sound isn't thumping, isn't that the power amps fault and not the Axe???

Back
Top Bottom