This is a very expensive hobby lol

56 years ago I was stationed on a tiny Army base in a foreign country. Despite its small size it was command headquarters and not without amenities, which included a cozy library populated with donations from current and former inhabitants. Having depleted my small stock of light reading I stopped in to see if I could find some new SF. While looking I came across a title I recognized as having been a recent best seller: “Games People Play,” a pop treatment of a psychological theory called transactional analysis, written by the creator of that theory. It described social interactions between people in terms of acting like a parent, child or adult to describe each party’s behavior.

Skimming through it I was shocked to find myself described in several of the games. I took it back to my barracks and read through it thoroughly. Realizing that my behavior in certain situations could be made better by following the advice in the book I set out to eliminate the problematic behaviors. I experienced an immediate improvement in dealing with people that has stayed with me throughout life, so much so that I’ve sometimes claimed, perhaps hyperbolically, that the book saved my life. It certainly made me less of an a-hole in any case.

One of the games that I never did play was called “Why don’t you…Yes, but,” which I’ve always called just “Yes, but.” In it someone complains about something or asks for advice, you offer a suggestion, he/she says “Yes,but…” and explains why that won’t work. Then you or another offers another suggestion with the same result, time and again. What does any of this have to do with this thread? Well, there used to be a person on TGP calling himself Fowleri who seemed to be a master of this game, starting thread after thread, often about the same subject, swatting down every suggestion. People usually caught on and stopped playing, at which point he’d start yet another thread. I don’t know that this Fowleri is the same one, but the M.O. is certainly the same, and so is the game being played.

https://www.nlpschool.com/games-people-play-yes-but-game/#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_analysis

Sup? ;)

IDK,, I always felt all the fractal gear I've bought over the the years ( Axe-Ultra, Axe-II and my Axe-III) was a great bargin for what it is and does, as I've owned some Hi end amps that are in the unit and It has since replaced them all. This gear is a great deal at twice the price.

Now that I've finished building my 3rd CNC machine on the other hand ....If you wanna talk about an expensive hobby.....lol ;)

MOSHON
DAVE

Attachments

• 241347728_4611663632226153_6561472272909852914_n.jpg
    241347728_4611663632226153_6561472272909852914_n.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 15
  • 241200182_4611664988892684_1153260759232339427_n.jpg
    241200182_4611664988892684_1153260759232339427_n.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 15
56 years ago I was stationed on a tiny Army base in a foreign country. Despite its small size it was command headquarters and not without amenities, which included a cozy library populated with donations from current and former inhabitants. Having depleted my small stock of light reading I stopped in to see if I could find some new SF. While looking I came across a title I recognized as having been a recent best seller: “Games People Play,” a pop treatment of a psychological theory called transactional analysis, written by the creator of that theory. It described social interactions between people in terms of acting like a parent, child or adult to describe each party’s behavior.

Skimming through it I was shocked to find myself described in several of the games. I took it back to my barracks and read through it thoroughly. Realizing that my behavior in certain situations could be made better by following the advice in the book I set out to eliminate the problematic behaviors. I experienced an immediate improvement in dealing with people that has stayed with me throughout life, so much so that I’ve sometimes claimed, perhaps hyperbolically, that the book saved my life. It certainly made me less of an a-hole in any case.

One of the games that I never did play was called “Why don’t you…Yes, but,” which I’ve always called just “Yes, but.” In it someone complains about something or asks for advice, you offer a suggestion, he/she says “Yes,but…” and explains why that won’t work. Then you or another offers another suggestion with the same result, time and again. What does any of this have to do with this thread? Well, there used to be a person on TGP calling himself Fowleri who seemed to be a master of this game, starting thread after thread, often about the same subject, swatting down every suggestion. People usually caught on and stopped playing, at which point he’d start yet another thread. I don’t know that this Fowleri is the same one, but the M.O. is certainly the same, and so is the game being played.

MEME2022-10-22-09-15-47.jpg

Attachments

• MEME2022-10-22-09-15-47.jpg
    MEME2022-10-22-09-15-47.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 0

There was/is also a Fowleri on the Ibanez Jemsite, same deal.

Like the two famous New York philosophers Klein and Eisen once said:

”I wanna mock and troll all night“ 😀

Sup? ;)

IDK,, I always felt all the fractal gear I've bought over the the years ( Axe-Ultra, Axe-II and my Axe-III) was a great bargin for what it is and does, as I've owned some Hi end amps that are in the unit and It has since replaced them all. This gear is a great deal at twice the price.

Now that I've finished building my 3rd CNC machine on the other hand ....If you wanna talk about an expensive hobby.....lol ;)

MOSHON
DAVE
Cool! What sorts of stuff do you make with that?

I like nice things lol problem with buying used furniture like that is you could get bed bugs

Ronald Mcdonald Clown GIF

Sup? :)
@ Dave Merril

I make all kinds of stuff, from awards to plaques, cabinet doors, trim, Art pieces, Jiggs, parts etc. I'm working up prototype parts for my next Virtual Pinball Machine. I've done a couple custom carved up artsy amp/ rack shells back before I really started to get into making stuff,, and Gonna start venturing down the road of Guitar bodies etc.

MOSHON
DAVE

Attachments

• combo.JPG
    combo.JPG
    331.2 KB · Views: 20
  • cc2.JPG
    cc2.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 20
  • cc.JPG
    cc.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 20
Sup? :)
@ Dave Merril

I make all kinds of stuff, from awards to plaques, cabinet doors, trim, Art pieces, Jiggs, parts etc. I'm working up prototype parts for my next Virtual Pinball Machine. I've done a couple custom carved up artsy amp/ rack shells back before I really started to get into making stuff,, and Gonna start venturing down the road of Guitar bodies etc.

MOSHON
DAVE
Man, that’s some cool stuff! I’m envisioning a Strat body with some 3D EVH stripes…….

Over at TGP, I remember him being extremely worried about the smell of his equipment although he hasn't brought that up yet.
One can never be too careful about introducing new smells into their room. Perhaps we should discuss the smell of the FM3 to assuage the OP.

Mine has a bit of an industrial smell, with hints of chocolate and maple on the nose.

Back
Top Bottom