This is a very expensive hobby lol

Go to a demolition site and buy an old door and two old chairs. There’s your desk. You don’t like how the FM3 looks on a desk? For real? If you are passionate enough about music this should not matter one bit. I started out with gear that was really “esthetically challenged” to say the least and it never did me any wrong.

So my advice, join the Fractal family if you are looking for the best sounds out there, pick up your guitar, dial in some killer tones and rock out! 😀🤘🏻

The cheapest option is just a cheap ass Katana Mini 7watt about $99, so I can have something to practice without headphones as the A5X will cost me $700

I was in your place I'd start with JBL LSR 305 monitors, good bang for the buck, to get away from the headphones.

I have no amp, as the old peavey vypyr I had stopped working. I've been using some Neural DSP plugins I have and headphones, but using headphones gets old. They're decent ones Sennheiser 599HD. Achieving the setup I want will cost me thousands of dollars yikes

First of all. I need a new desk, as my current one is old and only 47" wide. I need a 60" desk, ideally made of solid wood, easily $500-800

Then, I would need to buy speaker monitors, as I only have a shitty cheap soundbar. The Yamaha HS5 are $400 for the pair and A5X are $700 minimum. I'd rather have A5X.

Then, it comes the modeler that I will need. The FM3 is cheaper $1100, but I don't like the compact size, it will look awful on a desk, then how do you protect it? How do you plug it into a power conditioner? It just doesn't look right. I would love to have the AXE FX2 or FX3, so it can sit nicely on top of a power conditioner in one of those rack cubes.

The FM3 despite being affordable, the look of it and how it would look and function on a desk setup just doesn't sit with me. Where would you place the thing? Is lightweight, and it could tip over. It just doesn't look right.

So, of course, for me to have the look I want for my setup, I would at least the Axe FX2 which would be used and I'd rather buy new tbh so that's $2300 for an Axe FX3

Similarly, any other foot modelers won't work for my ideal setup, they would look ugly on the floor full of cables, where liquid and stuff can drop on them.

So I don't know, for now I don't know if I should get studio monitors or some cheap amp for me to practice with, Im tired of using headphones, I mean even if I buy the HS5 or AX5, they do me no good cause I have no Axe FX and the other stuff. I could use my DSP plugins tho but now I'm stuck to the computer if I want to play

I may get the Axe FX3 when Axe FX4 comes out, the $2300 right now is way too high. I'm hoping to pay $1600 at most. I'm not in a rush to have one either. I'd rather wait and have the FX3 than buy an FM3 and be unhappy with its compact and size. I want the look of a rack.

The cheapest option is just a cheap ass Katana Mini 7watt about $99, so I can have something to practice without headphones as the A5X will cost me $700
To make an album? You need a guitar, a computer, and some plugins. Everything else you listed is a "nice to have"...

I don't mean to flame anyone, but I don't understand these sort of 'moral dilemmas'.

I'm a home player, I used to gig, haven't for years and don't want to. I love playing with people, but the hassle/time - just not for me.

I have cut down my guitar collection from a significant (for me) vintage collection to modern Custom Shop level stuff, they're great and I love them.

I've had a AX8, FX3, FM3 and not FX3 Turbo. Floor controller is a FC6, at one point it was FC18, then down to FM3 only etc.

My viewpoint is, I work hard and 'music'/annoying the neighbours is a great relaxation and keeps me happy - as long as I can pay the rent, pay for food, support the kids etc. money I spend on my hobby is not wasted.

Sure, I could spend less - FM3 instead of the FX3, cheaper guitars. But what I have makes me happy.

Any hobby is as expensive as you make it, aside from guitars the two big things I've done are shotgun shooting and whitewater kayaking (to quite a serious level).

Both of these you see beginners or 'hobbyists' to be advised to take cheaper gear choices, don't spend £1200 on a dry suit, you don't need a £5000 shotgun, a cheap £500 one will start you off etc

All this advice is in my opinion completely wrong, with kayaking you see so many people get discouraged because they're uncomfortable, cold and wet. Yet a better boat would be more comfortable and enable them to advance quicker, a dry suit would mean you're comfortable and dry, warm in the winter months etc.

Same with the shotgun, yes the cheap one will go bang, but it will likely be unbalanced, will certainly not fit well. And because of this you'll get beaten/slapped by the gun, you'll be uncomfortable, you'll miss targets, you'll stop.

So point of this long post, any hobby will be as cheap/expensive as you make it. For me, part of the joy of any hobby is building knowledge of the gear, acquiring the gear etc. Even if that's not your thing, better gear will make any hobby more enjoyable - and isn't that the point of any hobby?

Later on if you change your mind, good gear = good resale value, ok you'll lose something - but often less/similar amounts than the cheap end which is basically throw away, and in the meantime you'll have had the enjoyment - and what price do you put on that?

Of course, don't spend what you don't have and try and be wise/sensible - but apart from that, enjoy yourself! Otherwise, what's the point of doing this?

Guitar is one of the less expensive hobby.

Now you can have a super cool mini amp and a correct guitar for nothing compared to the days you were obliged to buy a Gibson/fender and a tube amp. The first Chinese amps were pure crap and now most of them are great for their price… Roland, peavy, Marshall, fender, vox… they all have effects and everything. Great enough to learn guitar

Reactions: JTI
Sure it makes you feel happier and enjoy life more, it may be worth it, in the end that's all that matters
I feel like this answers all the questions/statements you made in the original post. Only you can decide what's right for you and makes you happy. My Fractal gear makes me ecstatic literally every day - it was a investment for sure - but I've never thought about the money I spent on it once since the day I got it.

I'd wager a bet and say that most of us have taken years to accumulate high quality gear & there's been many a time when I've bought stuff I couldn't really afford. Sometimes one just has to take the plunge. I personally have always wanted to grow into gear rather than grow out of it & have to sell it. Whilst more expensive to begin with I believe it saves money in the long run.

In the meantime use what you already have & start saving.
If the current trend continues though, everything is only going to get more expensive as time goes by.
Definitely, those are very much my attitudes.

I especially agree with “I personally have always wanted to grow into gear rather than grow out of it & have to sell it.”. I want to be challenged and have room to find my own style and sound, not to sound like everyone else.

I took the plunge and bought an Axe-FX III about a year ago after gigging an AX8 for a few years. That was one of the best decisions I've ever made regarding guitar gear. I used to play through a Mesa Mark IV, and 2 2x12 cabs and a pedal board with all sorts of 'booteek' pedals. Any Fractal preamp is a better value and gives way more options that have kept me playing and exploring. Spend what you can on whatever Fractal product you like and enjoy the ride.

I'm using a who-knows-how-many-hand desk that I found in a local listings site. Are we seriously debating the aesthetics of a work station and not the music you make on it?

Come on.

If you smoke or drink, I'd start the cull there.

Back
Top Bottom