this footswitch is amazing!!!

bump. has anyone been successful with the Axe / Softstep / USB-Midi box with the latest firmware?
Will likely install the new firmware this weekend and see if I can get it all playing nice.
They said they'd release Axe templates at some stage. I imagine those would make it all a lot less painless (I get thoroughly confused with anything MIDI...)

I've owned this before (when it first came out) and returned it. I was using it to control a laptop with Guitar Rig and the StringPort (worth checking out actually). It's USB powered, which is nice... but you have to buy a separate little box to use it with anything MIDI. I don't like little separate boxes. Easily misplaced and more things to hook up.

Control wise, it is pretty neat but takes a lot to program - so many options. The backlit pedals are sweet. The sheer amount of things you can do with it is amazing. I didn't actually like the four function pedal thing because the pedals are too small to accurately hit a specific corner (it's not NSEW it's the corners that control it).

It's VERY light and small though, and it's worth looking at if you like that sort of thing. It's pretty durable too. I may even get myself another one for use with the Axe, not sure.

Definitely a good option to get rid of some kg of my FCB. Will finally get someday to a footpedal of a size and weight that is "mobile" and not just "transportable". Hope they have a salespoint in Europe. Big "YES" for the price also, until now there was nothing that could get close enough to the FCB1010 which dates from Metusalem it seems. Looking forward to learn more about this one.

Definitely a good option to get rid of some kg of my FCB. Will finally get someday to a footpedal of a size and weight that is "mobile" and not just "transportable". Hope they have a salespoint in Europe. Big "YES" for the price also, until now there was nothing that could get close enough to the FCB1010 which dates from Metusalem it seems. Looking forward to learn more about this one.
KEITH MCMILLEN SOFTSTEP - Thomann Greek Cyberstore

FYI all...
There's a new version (v.1.2) of the software out now. They haven't sent the email just yet but I emailed with Sarah from KMI.
Especially relevant to us is this bit - "We have a new scene for the Axe FX and I also included some information and a .syx file in the "Extras" folder."

And from the download notes..."The AxeFX Ultra control scene is in the Standalone Scene list of the SoftStep Editor application. Put this scene in your setlist along with the program change scene. Then hit the download button and the 2 scenes should be sent down to the SoftStep.

Also in this folder is a little .pdf file that shows you what the Program Change and AxeFX scene are supposed to do.

You may need to use the reset utility on your AxeFX in order to be able to control your Axe FX with this scene. Be sure to back up your current settings before resetting the AxeFX. Consult the AxeFX manual (included)for information about how you can do this.

There are 4 pads on the SoftStep mapped to External control parameters for the Axe FX. These normally need to be mapped in the AxeFX for each AxeFX preset you want to control. We have made our own KMI Preset for the AxeFX that already contains mappings for these 4 keys. In order to try our preset out you can use the included sysex files in this folder. One includes the AxeFX system settings and one includes the AxeFX presets which we have altered (our preset is #16). Again, if you've made your own presets on the AxeFX or system settings I recommend making a backup of our current settings before dumping ours onto it."

Have downloaded it but haven't installed or played with it as yet. Will do in the coming days.
Keen to hear anyone else's experience with using the new firmware, particularly exactly how they are using the pads/what parameters they're controlling, etc.

Last edited:
Sarah is great, she helped me with TONS of questions about their software, hardware, and the pedal. She's one of the reasons I wanted to keep the stuff. Alas, they must hate me over there because I had so many questions. Also I ended up returning the stuff. As I said before though, the footswitch is pretty cool and I would buy it again if I had an Axe to go with it.

Some simple questions :)
I'm pretty interested in this footswitch because it's light and doesn't need much space.
I only need the switch for simple program changes. Don't need extra pedals or similar stuff, I just want to change my presets.
Is this possible without an editor and resets and...you know what I mean?

At the moment I use the ProStage X05. A killer footswitch and I love the XLR solution. The problem is that it's quite heavy and a no go when I have to travel by plane.

When I use the Softstep I would have to integrate the midi expander in my rack...right?
Doesn't it feel a bit weird with a 10 ft usb cable on stage? :D
Is it phantom powered?

Yes you would have to use the expander, small box that costs extra, to use MIDI and USB power. But it would fit in the back of a rack somewhere I guess. As for using USB on stage, it wouldn't bother me, but I don't play for huge audiences.

Asphyx74,
The midi Expander is ~ 1"x 1" x 2 1/2". Fits easily in a rack.
It is powered by an included USB power adapter and, in turn, powers the Softstep thru a USB cable with a USB micro plug on receiving end.A 15' cable is also included.(You can choose the length you need and purchase just about anywhere). The only significant difference with a midi cable is the smaller diameter.

The Softstep weighs about 1 pound and very thin. Will easily fit in a rack lid.

Read Solarflair's post above. They actually include an AXE preset syx. programmed to go along with the two sample Softstep/AXE scenes. One scene is for program changing, the other allows turning effects on and off (5 I think) on top row and then 5 on the bottom row for wah and other effects parameters (ie: reverb time etc.) .These can be used as a template for making your custom scenes.

One "caveat emptor" (buyer beware), some folks are saying that the EL backlight is causing interference with magnetic PU's.

You might visit KMI's Softstep User Forum : Welcome to the KMI Forums • Index page

I haven't started using my SS yet, and BTW, I don't work for them!!

Respect, O

Last edited:
I'm struggling with my new Softstep since 3 days. The concept, the size & the weight are great but it's really a pain to program. There are a lot of random bugs when programming with the Editor. I have also a very weird one : when the Softsep is in a good mood, program changes are well sent to my AxeFX Ultra. But with my AxefX II it's very unresponding, I have to to tap ten times a switch for the program to change (each tap looks well monitored in the midi window). I've seen a similar problem on this blog. With my Gordius the AxeFX II responds perfect. Any thoughts ?

Got the answer from KMI :

This is because the AxeFX does not respond to Running Status program changes.

Sarah said this in the SS MIDI Expander Strangeness thread:

We've been investigating this. What we've found is that some MIDI devices do not respond well to what is called "Running Status" messages. Here is a really good in-depth explanation of what running status means:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tec ... ec/run.htm

Basically what happens is the Softstep announces a program change and sends the corresponding status byte the first time, but then for subsequent program changes it is following the running status spec and just sends the data byte. About every 11th program change it re-announces the program change status byte. This is when MIDI devices incompatible with running status messages see the program change. Nowadays most MIDI devices are compatible with running status style MIDI since it is faster and more robust. So devices that use older MIDI implementation need to see the status byte every time in order to recognize the data.

We released version 1.21 of the SoftStep software earlier this week. Updating to this version will now send full program change messages every time, meaning your AxeFX will respond every time. The links are in the Releases & Announcements forum here: Welcome to the KMI Forums • View topic - SoftStep Version 1.21 BETA for Mac & Windows
Carson Whitley
Technical Support @ KMI

I've got the Softstep working in as much as I can change patches via the Program Change function - it seems limited to 12 groups of 10 though, so I can only seem to access the first 120, so I'm not sure how to access all 384 patches the AxeFx has.
But, using the Axe-Fx Softstep preset that enables you to turn on and off certain effects, it seems to only turn things off for me, but not back on. So if I have a patch that uses delay, and I press the delay button, it will turn off that effect, but if I press it to turn it back on, it doesn't work - it stays off. Waiting to get an answer from KMI about how to fix it.

And to be honest, I'm pretty lost with programming the thing to do anything that isn't included in that AxeFx Softstep preset.

Back
Top Bottom