this footswitch is amazing!!!

ordered mine today. It is supposed to ship out to me on Tuesday. I am hopeful the fix for the midi expander will be available by the time I receive it.
Will post my findings after I get it up and running.

kimsunkist said:
any reviews?
in terms of ease of use (wah), programming, etc.
I haven't got mine to do anything yet :?
I think there still needs to be a firmware update for the MIDI, if I'm correct.

Mine should be delivered this week.
As I stated in a previous post there is supposed to be a software update to fix the issue
with the midi expander. The latest update appears to be from 11/8.

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/downloads/softstep/

Not sure if this is the one with the fix. An email to the company is probably due.
They have responded quickly to each inquiry I have made.

Any experience so far with this from the owners?
Are the pads large enough for live situations?

Haven't got mine to do anything yet :?
Think they really need to develop the software and sort bug-fixes first.

I will add though that without using it in practice yet I can tell already the buttons are gonna be real fiddly for any very fine work.
I was shocked at how small the unit actually is. Each button is ~1.5" across.
Needs to be twice the size really to be very practical methinx.
I think I'll just be using it for selecting and scrolling though patches. I can't see it working terribly well using multiple degrees of freedom at once.
Thankfully it's got an input for an expression pedal.

I did receive a reply from the company regarding standalone mode.

I will ask them if it is ok to copy and post here. In essence, they decided to get standalone mode to
have more functionality than originally planned. They are testing, working out the bugs and are "close"
to its release. As far as the size of the buttons go, although small I haven't found other midi pedals buttons to
be much larger. Some simply have toggle type switches. For me, I need access to patch changes and turning effects on /off.
Anyhow, if they give me permission to copy and post here I will do so. I am disappointed in the delay of standalone mode
but have not given up hope.

From my communication with the company, after the firmware updates that have already happened, they believe I should at least be able to select patches, even if I cannot control other variables at the moment (this is with it still hooked up to the computer).
Has anyone else who has one (and who is using it still hooked up to a computer) got theirs to do anything so far?
I can't even see anything change in the sensor window. It's like the software just isn't receiving any input.
The MIDI In light on the MIDI expander is flashing in time with the tap-tempo for the Axe-Fx though.

I have not tried that route even though they say it should work. I decided to wait for the fix so I can
get it to work (hopefully) the first time. Maybe I am getting too old to keep learning stuff?
It is my understanding that Sara is the contact at the company to help with technical issues.
Maybe you should contact her directly to walk you through getting the SoftStep and Axe-Fx to talk to each other.
I'm giving it a few more days and then I will try to set up and use in conjunction with the computer.
I keep thinking this pedal can offer so much more than on/off and program switching. It's what has me
hanging in to at least give it a shot.

Rush2112 said:
It is my understanding that Sara is the contact at the company to help with technical issues.
Maybe you should contact her directly to walk you through getting the SoftStep and Axe-Fx to talk to each other.
Yeah man, she's the one (Sarah actually) I've been talking to. Helpful for sure, but I think it's limitations in the firmware itself at the moment that's the issue. Cause she's walked me through connection routing and Program Change settings, etc, and it should work.

Frustrating as hell cause I wanna post a medley on Youtube and all I need to do is be able to select patches, nothing fancy :?

I joined that Yahoo Softstep group and am gonna dig through that to see if I can get any joy.

here is a direct quote straight from Keith when I approached him regarding the delay in stand-alone mode -

"We decided to implement most all of the functionality of the SoftStep hosted application into the standalone mode. Initially standalone was going to be a subset consisting of fixed templates with adjustable variables, but based upon how many people are regularly using what we initially considered to be obscure functions in the application, we feel there would be a bit of a groan if we did not make the LED control, modline logic, destination, sources, etc on par with what hosted application users have come to expect.

We have most of this more ambitious standalone working. We need to do testing and debug. While I understand the inconvenience this delay may be causing, I am sure this is the right way to proceed. With software like this, it really is worth the extra effort now so we do not have lots of incremental upgrades when people start comparing the functionality of hosted and standalone."

Ok, so this is weird...
It worked tonight for straight patch changing.
Sometimes.
Other times, it didn't.
It seemed to need to "settle in" with the "Init" preset before going to the "Program Change" preset.
The software seems temperamental at the moment.

But at least I'm getting somewhere now. And when it worked, it worked well.
The button size is fine for straight patch changes...we shall see how they go for dynamic control...

Well at least there is a sign of hope. I haven't decided what I am going to do with mine.
It may go back to the dealer I purchased it from. I'm not sure I will have the patience for this even though
its "flexibility" and size initially swayed me to buy it. I may go the Gordius Little Giant 2 route. Keep us informed
of any additional progress.

I just got this as a cheap alternative to the MFC. I like the MFC and may eventually get one but for now, I just need basic control. I almost opted for the GR4 pedal because I'm used to but then I saw this sleek thin one that had:

1. silent switches - while this is not necessary for shredders, I prefer silent switches. I used to use an X-15 which was relatively silent and I liked it for that reason. The drawback is that you won't have as much confidence with the physical feedback from the switch... "did it really change the preset or am I in for a rude awakening when I strum thinking I'm on the 'clean' channel and it comes out as liquid death!"

I use switches to turn on/off (bypass) effects as well as for switching presets. I think this pedal is good for effects switching and exact preset switching... but I'm not so sure about inc/dec preset switching. I couldn't figure out to do it on the 0-9 switches and only partially on the arrow switches (it would jump 2-10 presets at a time). Maybe it was user error...

2. flexibility in programmability - having configurations on the device itself is great. Yes, you could use an intermediate application to have that intelligence but I'd rather have it on the device. I haven't used these yet but the software seems capable enough.

3. small - I have too many other things on the floor to worry about so the smaller it is, the better.
This is the smallest controller period. It's extremely thin and light. Well, ok, there are smaller footprint pedals but really, this thing is barely bigger in all dimensions than a new full wired mac keyboard. You'll see in their demo videos that they put plexiglass under it for support. You may find that that's necessary as well - especially on carpet. Thinnest comes at a penalty. The switches have little to no "throw" so it takes a lot of getting used to. I found myself pressing really hard when it wasn't necessary. If you don't have them mapped properly (sensitivity, curve, etc) your foot may start to hurt.

4. visual feedback - having lights was a must
I was terribly confused how to program the lights. I think I've got it now and appreciate the ability to change the behavior to my liking. I think the computer software could be improved in this area.

5. continuous controllers - continuous pedals are great but having 10+ switches/XY/rotation/pressure switches would be even better
I had some luck with the continuous controllers. In fact, it is promising which I really didn't expect. Mind you, I will still use continuous pedals for accurate wah or other control that needs to be precise but having the 10 continuous controllers for other types of control is nice. Also, if you are using this with other gear, each switch can control up to six (I think) different devices at the same time. This could be used for really organic morphing if you you're using guitar controlled synths along with the AxeFX.

To sum it up, I think it's worth the money but if you are used to regular metal switches, make sure this is really what you want. I wouldn't use it for traditional switching on the stage.

soularflair said:
Ok, so this is weird...
It worked tonight for straight patch changing.
Sometimes.
Other times, it didn't.
It seemed to need to "settle in" with the "Init" preset before going to the "Program Change" preset.
The software seems temperamental at the moment.

But at least I'm getting somewhere now. And when it worked, it worked well.
The button size is fine for straight patch changes...we shall see how they go for dynamic control...

Hey Soularflair--would you ever make a list of the steps you went through to get it going--this is my first MIDI controller, and I haven't had any luck yet--I've got the Expander hooked up and get the application on the computer to acknowledge it sees it--but nothing seems to be getting to my AXE. Are you going through the computer, too or straight to AXE?

Any help would be great. Thanks, Don

theblogjammers said:
Hey Soularflair--would you ever make a list of the steps you went through to get it going-- Are you going through the computer, too or straight to AXE?
Don,
Yes, I go through the computer. That's all you can do at present until they develop the firmware to allow standalone operation. This is coming, but ETA unknown at this stage.
You need to ensure you have the latest "VJ1" firmware installed on your Softstep. Mine came shipped with it. If yours doesn't have it, you can get it from their website. You also need the latest software installed on your computer - this is 1.031 as of now.

I assume you have the MIDI Expander?
In brief, I'm connected thusly:
MIDI Out on Axe to MIDI In on the expander, MIDI In on Axe to MIDI Out on the expander, Softsep connected to the MIDI expander by the USB lead, Softstep connected to the computer by another USB lead.
Start the software...give it a minute or 2 to settle in. Ensure your main inputs and outputs are set to "SSCOM Port 1" (or it might just say "SSCOM" without the Port 1 bit). Select the "6 Program Change Expander" option in the Scene drop-down menu. Check to make sure each "Open Modulation" window for each button in the software says "6 Key(x)Pgm Expand".
Assuming all is like that, it should work. But as I mentioned, at present it's hit and miss for me. Sometimes it works, other times not, and I have to restart the software.

Best you speak to Sarah at KMI if you still have no joy -> support AT keithmcmillen.com.
Unfortunately, it seems all us early Softstep users are doing the beta testing :?

I sent mine back a few weeks ago as I lost patience.
I am hopeful they can get this thing to work as advertised, then I might come back to it.
In the meantime, I will probably go with a Liquid Foot Jr. or RJM Mastermind but waiting on NAMM in January.
Thought about the MFC but cannot justify the cost.
Best of luck.

Anybody got the Softstep working yet?

Don,
Yes, I go through the computer. That's all you can do at present until they develop the firmware to allow standalone operation. This is coming, but ETA unknown at this stage.
Solarflair or anyone else using the Softstep:
The beta standalone came out in December for Mac only. No word on windows version as yet.
Anyone using Mac beta standalone got it working yet? Is it working in the computer software only version yet?
How many of you have returned it?Just looking for progress update from Axe Fx users.
There is a Yahoo group for the Softstep that seems to be mainly Ableton live and Mobius users.Axe-Fx/Softstep users please join in!
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/softstep/
Thanks, Otis

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom