Third party IRs vs stock cabs

jrjones

Inspired
How many of you guys use third party IRs instead of the stock cabs? How big of a difference is it?

Last edited:
Some of the factory cabs come from third party vendors too like ML Sound, York Audio, Austin Buddy, Celestion, Ownhammer, etc. The rest were shot by Fractal. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough, but my go-to IR I still use and love is a blend of the Legacy IR F103 4x12 Basketweave TV Mix mixed with and a flat signal that goes up to 13 kHz and cuts off sharply, just barely blended in so you can just start to hear some additional high-mid content.

90% of it is that old TV Mix IR though, there's just something magic about it i haven't heard in any other IR.

I use both stock and aftermarket IRs, and I can get good and bad sounds with either.

At this point I'd like to see the stock cabs refreshed, with emphasis on a consistent mics and mic positions across the cabs.

BTW, unsurprisingly considering the properties of human hearing (Fletcher/Munsen etc.), I've found it necessary to use different cabs at different volume levels.

Back
Top Bottom