Thinking of getting a Standard to replace my 11R

rpurdue

Hey all. I have an 11R into a Mesa 2:90 poweramp and i really love the sounds i'm getting and the ease of tweaking...BUT all this talk of the AXE has me gassing hardcore!! I'm ready to pull the trigger on a "B" stock standard which doesn't have the return policy so if i don't like it i'm hooped lol. My concern is the tweak-ability of the AXE. Everyone states that they need months of tweaking and editing to perfect their tone.....that's a problem...i HATE tweaking lol. Is it really that labor intensive on the axe to get a basic plexi patch rocking through a poweramp to sound killer? I'm a basic effects kinda guy so i'll never be tweaking multi delays etc. What do you all think?

Cool part is you only need to tweak in depth if you want to. Alot and I do mean A LOT of the amps/fxs sound great with your standard adjustments you make on their analogue counterparts. As far as REFINING the tone.. Over time you'll develop your ear for the nuances and as you realize things you'll dig a little deeper. By no means does that begin to equate needing months to tweak it initially.

When i got my standard I spent about four hours getting to know the work-flow, interface, parameters and lay interpretations for certain things. I had my clean, dirty, crunch and lead patches all dialed in after that first sit down session. Those patches have evolved as my tastes have changed but I still don't spend tons of time on the advanced parameters. Not that I couldn't... I just haven't had the time to do so. It certainly isn't hurting my tone one bit.

One great thing about this forum is every once in a while guys like Scott, Radley, Java, etc will start a thread on a very specific topic that will open your eyes to certain things you may have never though of. Those threads are amazing and certainly help out in your development into the tweakability to refine the sound.

All that said.. Don't be afraid to grab the standard simply because you're afraid you'll have to tweak it for months to get a usable tone. This thing isn't a Pod.. Its as simply deep as you want it to be.. But deep down its very shallow..... :shock: :eek: :cool:

rpurdue said:
Hey all. I have an 11R into a Mesa 2:90 poweramp and i really love the sounds i'm getting and the ease of tweaking...BUT all this talk of the AXE has me gassing hardcore!! I'm ready to pull the trigger on a "B" stock standard which doesn't have the return policy so if i don't like it i'm hooped lol. My concern is the tweak-ability of the AXE. Everyone states that they need months of tweaking and editing to perfect their tone.....that's a problem...i HATE tweaking lol. Is it really that labor intensive on the axe to get a basic plexi patch rocking through a poweramp to sound killer? I'm a basic effects kinda guy so i'll never be tweaking multi delays etc. What do you all think?

Give it a try and if it's not for you through it out here on the FS section or on ebay and get most if not all of your money back.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your input. The 11R is just ridiculously easy to adjust so the AXE posts were a little daunting in that regards. I figure i have nothing to lose. If i try it and like the sound of my 11R better i can sell the AXE and if it sounds better (which i'm hoping if i do buy it) then i'll sell the 11R

Since the latest firmware tweaking is greatly reduced IMO, especially in non-FRFR rigs like you are running. I run basically the same way, AxeFx into poweramp into cab. Typically when I audition amp sims now the only tweaks I do much of besides basic EQ are bright switch on/off, and damp and sag for a bit of fine tuning. Thats all I usually need.

As a guy who bought a 'B Stock' Standard 1.5 years ago, let me tell you my story. My axe-fx was deemed to be a B Stock because there was allegedly a scratch on the faceplate. I figured 'hey no problem-- I'm not big into cosmetic stuff anyway, so I can live with it'. However, when I received my unit--- THERE WAS NO SCRATCH!!!! :D It was cosmetically perfect. I can't guarantee that this will happen to you, but deep down I expected there to be a problem. There was no problem. And the service was stellar too. It's been a great ride so far. So there....

Cheers,

-AL

alcaldwell said:
As a guy who bought a 'B Stock' Standard 1.5 years ago, let me tell you my story. My axe-fx was deemed to be a B Stock because there was allegedly a scratch on the faceplate. I figured 'hey no problem-- I'm not big into cosmetic stuff anyway, so I can live with it'. However, when I received my unit--- THERE WAS NO SCRATCH!!!! :D It was cosmetically perfect. I can't guarantee that this will happen to you, but deep down I expected there to be a problem. There was no problem. And the service was stellar too. It's been a great ride so far. So there....

Cheers,

-AL

Hah. I do believe we bought the pair of "B" stock stamdards at the same time. Mine, as well had no signs of being anything short of "A" stock. A hear and a half and not a single desire to turn back.

Go for it!!
IF you like 11R than it's 99% you're gonna LOVE AxeFX. (1% left for no reason).

I also bought my Ultra like B stock from G66,
it came totally brand new to my eyes, it even had nylon on display,
plus chocolates ofc. :D

Hah, I believe I bought my B-Stock Axe-FX at the same time as the other two. Not a single scratch! The only thing I could think of is the plastic plate covering the screen has some wiggle. That's it!

I love my Axe-FX so much. If you love your 11, you'll love the Axe-FX even more. It can be as stupidly easy or ridiculously hard as you want it to be. Some people are perfectly happy with just the standard amp controls, while others like to get in and tinker for a more personalized sound.

If you look closely at the B-Stocks you'll see a flaw somewhere. Usually a scratch in the chassis or some bad lettering. Those are the two most common flaws.

To answer an earlier question, I believe you will get a great Plexi tone with no "tweaking" other than setting the basic knobs for Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Master. Same as the amp. Try Brown, Plexi2 and the Trainwreck also.

Choosing a cab is as easy as turning a knob. Check them out at band practice with drums and bass going. Fun and easy.

Endless tweaking is usually a sign of dissatisfaction with something other than the tone. Deal with any major issues the easy way, then see if it gets the point across musically.

Having spent decent time with 11R, I personally think you will be very happy with the Axe-Fx.

alcaldwell said:

Cheers,

-AL

Yeah I can testify to this as well I bought a B stock Axe Fx and was told there was a scratch on the bottom but when it got here it was in perfect shape.

As an alternate voice...

The 11R (as I've heard) is a pretty decent effort. Much better that Line6. It may be enough for you. The Axe-FX is pretty serious work to get EACH AMP to where you want it to be. It's easy to get overwhelmed and try to get 10 amps sounding the way you want...just doesn't happen. In that way, the 11R may be more 'plug and play' for you. The Axe is SO much more accessible these days, but depending on how you run it, you still need to understand it...which can be painful if you're not a tweaker.

Get an Axe and try it. I can't really comment on the 11R, but I hear it's very good. IMO the Axe is better, but it DOES take a bit of work to get to there.

(But SO well worth the effort...)

Ron

anomaly said:
Axe Fx sells B-Stock on there website or a thru different vendor?

+1.

I really want the Axe, but I can get an 11R for half the cost. I know I can get along just fine with the 11, but I will always wonder if I should have gone with the Axe. If I can narrow the gap a little with a B stock standard I might be able to swing it.

I bought a Standard off ebay last November and it has changed things for the better. If you run it into the Mesa 2:90 you will get some instant satisfaction with minimal tweaking. A lot of the tweaking required I've found has been related to going direct. That took a lot more work to get it where I liked it.

Thanks for all the info guys! It should be here by wednesday! I feel like a kid on xmas lol :) Ive been reading the manual already and all the info on the wiki. It would be cool if anyone has any presets that are used through a tube poweramp and cab! To anyone running like this do you disable the poweramp sims or leave them on?

Back
Top Bottom