Thinking of dumping my Bogner

Just a suggestion... I would see if you can find someone on the board here that lives near enough that you can demo the Axe FX in person if at all possible. I've done that a number of times for various players here in Austin and all but one ended up buying the Axe FX. You'll mainly need to decide if you want to amplify it through power amp/guitar cabs (more traditional) or use FRFR type monitors (I use a pair of CLRs at home). Depends on your budget and how picky you are about all this stuff. It's not a cheap option to do it right in my opinion.. but I prefer playing through the Axe FX to using tube amps these days and I have some pretty nice vintage amps, etc.

Well I sense a road trip to Kamloops in my future! Cost is really irrelevant to me. Between my xtc head and some of my stompboxes I can free up around $5k. I just really need to try one with both setups, (FRFR and power amp and cab) and see which way I want to go. Honestly the FRFR setup is completely new to me so I will to research it some.
Is the idea behind the FRFR setup for everyday player and to use as a monitor and go FOH at a gig?
How it the foot controller for the FX?

Is the idea behind the FRFR setup for everyday player and to use as a monitor and go FOH at a gig?
How it the foot controller for the FX?

That’s how I believe most people are using it. The great thing about a good FRFR system is that it sounds the same at any volume. So you can get the sound of power amp distortion at any volume since there’s no amp to “push” to get the sound you want. This is all handled by the Axe Fx. For live usage you can technically mic up your FRFR monitor but the best is to go direct to FoH as there’s just one thing less that can go wrong. The mic will never be out of place and sound differently, there’s no bleed, and so on. I connect output 2 on my Axe Fx to my monitor (I use a Yamaha DXR10 as my monitor) and run output 1 to FoH. This also means that I can adjust my own stage volume without affecting the FoH level by adjusting the output 2 level only.

The foot controller is very nice and integrated. You connect typically with either just an ethernet cable or a mic cable. This then handle both power and data. So you have one cable from your guitar to the Axe Fx, one cable from the Axe Fx to the foot controller, one cable from the Axe Fx to the monitor (assuming mono) and a couple of power cables. Couldn’t be simpler.

Hi all,
I've playing and gigging for over 20 years. I play a lot of different styles of music and have been searching for a good all arounder. I've owned many amps over the years and have been using a Bogner Extacy 101b for the last 6 years or so. It's a fantastic amp, and has served me well. Not the best at anything, but a very solid and versatile head.

However, I have 2 small kids now and don't gig anymore. The xtc is too loud and cumbersome to setup and tear down at home. I still get out to jams and need something that I can use for recording. I've been debating selling the xtc and getting a good power amp and FX-2 XL. That way I can still jam/gig while having the ease of headphone use and recording at home.

I've been down the modelling road before starting with the MP1 and ending with a POD XT and power amp. All with less then desirable results. My question are,
- Is the axe fx a viable solution for an old tube amp guy?
- What type of power amp would be suggested?
- What other things would I need to buy besides the pedal board to make it a functional live rig.
- Where do hell do I buy/try one in Vancouver Canada?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm an old tube amp guy myself. Been through MANY tube amps since 1978 when i picked up the guitar as a wee little tot. So believe me when I say that the new stuff from Fractal is about the best going to find for amp modelers.
Over the last decade or so I've tried the Line 6 stuff, and a few others and never liked the tones they delivered. Always went back to my Boogie, Fender or Marshall.

I just purchased my Axe FX II XL in May and was very impressed when first playing through the factory presets. And let me tell you, there have been quite a few firmware versions release since then and the authenticity of tone has been improved upon with each major release. About a week or two after first getting my XL I took it out for its first gig, and I haven't looked back. I've plugged in the tube amps at home a few times to A/B them and you can barely tell the difference, and it just keeps getting better.

Now I must confess, I've had many midi programmable FX & preamp setups, but this was a bit of a learning curve at first. There are many parameters you can tweak that I stayed away from at first so as not to frustrate myself until I could learn a bit about them. The community here is very supportive and a good source of feedback when you have questions. Once you learn how to get around you'll be just fine.

Listen good luck with your decision, i researched a while before pulling the trigger but i am very happy with my choice!

I like the word PRS513 used: authentic. That sums up the Axe-Fx through an Atomic CLR. You basically get dozens of authentic amps at your fingertips.

Personally, I had never given Deizel amps a 2nd thought but now that's one of my go-to's.

The fact that I also have an authentic Friedman HBE100 and Mesa Dual Rectifier on tap is really cool.

I went with the MFC-101 and really like it. The buttons are the really smooth type and adding the StompLabels was the icing on the cake.

Good luck with your choice!

Posted with TapTalk for iPhone, please forgive the spelling errors.

Same story here... long time tube amp user. Jumped on board late 07 and all for the exception of my misunderstanding of how to fully use the unit when I first received it I pretty much haven't looked back. Use to own a Bogner 101b great amp! a lot of other great amps as well.

The Axe is all of those and more you just need to decide if you want to stay with a traditional guitar cab (easer dialing in a sound but limiting) or use IR's and FR or FRFR ( vastly way more options but a little more work because of that very thing ).

15 days to check it out makes it a no brainer!

The Axe is all of those and more you just need to decide if you want to stay with a traditional guitar cab (easer dialing in a sound but limiting) or use IR's and FR or FRFR ( vastly way more options but a little more work because of that very thing ).

15 days to check it out makes it a no brainer!

A couple of questions,
- With the FRFR setup I think I would get the Atomic CLR Powered Wedge, seems to be well reviewed and a popular choice, are there alternate speakers I should check out?
- Do I need 2 wedges?
- Assuming I go with the above mentioned FRFR setup, will I be able to get some good tones out of the box, or am I straight away into editing hell?
- Can I run the software through my Ipad?
-What is this 15 days you speak of?

I'm going to suggest you keep the amp if you can. As someone mentioned, you can use a Torpedo, power brake, power-scaling etc. for the volume issue. BTW, I find I need about the same volume to sound good with the Axe-Fx as I do with my tube amps if I want to get the right feel/punch and sonic interaction: YMMV. Tube amps are simple and you can always repair them no problemo. I love the Axe-Fx, but I'll always have my Mesa and Marshall to grab when the need strikes, and if they break, I can fix them.

just sayin
boogie

A couple of questions,
- With the FRFR setup I think I would get the Atomic CLR Powered Wedge, seems to be well reviewed and a popular choice, are there alternate speakers I should check out?
- Do I need 2 wedges?
- Assuming I go with the above mentioned FRFR setup, will I be able to get some good tones out of the box, or am I straight away into editing hell?

I use a QSC K12 and am pretty happy with it. By itself it can hang with a drummer and bass player - I've used it as my backline in small club gigs (I play in a trio). Otherwise I just go direct into the P.A. and monitor my guitar though the stage wedges.

You can get great tones without a ton of fiddling, really you just need to familiarize yourself with the controls - if you use Axe Edit, it's pretty easy-peasy - very visual / drag & drop. You don't have to do all that deep editing, just pick an amp, cab, dial in the bass mid treble and gain just like on a regular amp, maybe slap on some reverb, you're good to go. (of course you won't be able to stop there lol)

It's a pretty killer piece of gear - I get nothing but compliments on my tone since I got it, and having total control over your volume is a godsend when playing smaller clubs.

Hi Ron. I like what people are saying here. Welcome to the "Dad's" guitar player club :)
The best demo/showroom is your home. Your guitars. Your amp/speakers/headphones.
As for Vancouver... We ship there! And we give you a 15-day "no nonsense" return window.
With "Black Friday" sales just around the corner its a good time to jump in.

A couple of questions,
- Do I need 2 wedges?

Apart from CLR and what has been mentioned above there are also some stuff being made by Mission
Gemini 1 - Mission Engineering

And Matrix
Matrix :: Lightweight Amplifiers for Guitarists

And of course lots more, but these are the most popular from what I understand.

If you need two... well, not really I guess but many tend to go that way for stereo

15 days return policy on AXE-FX if you are not happy you can return it.

It will take some time to understand the unit but you can get a great tone fairly fast. So far not any full support for Ipads/tablets from what I know

98% of us come from Tube amps.

Actually, my mother made me so.... But that's a cool idea being born from a Twin Reverb?? Sorry too far...

To the OP, dude, just pull the trigger. You won't be disappointed to echo what all these other geniuses are saying.

If you're still not convinced, hear it from the big musicians using the gear nearly daily:

Bush
Animals As Leaders
Periphery
Brit Floyd (Pink Floyd Cover Banditos)

My background is Mesa/Vox/Fender and some older Peavey gear. It's fun digging into new sounds and endless possibilities with da amps+cabs.

Hi all,
I've playing and gigging for over 20 years. I play a lot of different styles of music and have been searching for a good all arounder. I've owned many amps over the years and have been using a Bogner Extacy 101b for the last 6 years or so. It's a fantastic amp, and has served me well. Not the best at anything, but a very solid and versatile head.

However, I have 2 small kids now and don't gig anymore. The xtc is too loud and cumbersome to setup and tear down at home. I still get out to jams and need something that I can use for recording. I've been debating selling the xtc and getting a good power amp and FX-2 XL. That way I can still jam/gig while having the ease of headphone use and recording at home.

I've been down the modelling road before starting with the MP1 and ending with a POD XT and power amp. All with less then desirable results. My question are,
- Is the axe fx a viable solution for an old tube amp guy?
- What type of power amp would be suggested?
- What other things would I need to buy besides the pedal board to make it a functional live rig.
- Where do hell do I buy/try one in Vancouver Canada?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had a Bogner Ecstasy 101b w/ EL34s from 2003 to 2011; my "go-to" amp. I sincerely think it's the best rock n' roll amp ever made. Did sell mine when I moved to Northern Virginia from Austin, and now use the AXE FX II into Atomic FRFR CLRs. I am a vintage tube amp guy and have been very happy with the AXE II, once you leant how to dial amps in, "it's all there."

I'm very happy with the Blue and Red channel Ecstasy Models in the AXE FX (use the AXE FX amp "boost" in front). It does not have the Blue Plexi channel or the Clean Ecstasy channel modeled, but other models can get you that in the AXE II.

But I also have to agree with the other guys chiming in -- don't sell that amp if you don't have to. You won't find a better, more versatile rock n roll tube amp IMHO. I'm surprised you say the XTC is too loud, because I found it has a very good master volume overall. The AXE FX II will record fabulous (no mics!) so that's a winner.

The majority of posts I've read here come down to if you have the money and space to keep the amp & setup, then do. There are many, many posts of guys (myself included) who have kept the equipment, but never use it. Ever. I can turn the volume up or down and get plenty of sound for a home setup. If I was going to go jam or gig, I'd want one of the other setups (power amp, FRFR, etc.) but in the house powered monitors are great. There are so many sounds and so many great sounds you could honestly play one amp for weeks at a time.

As others have said, it really will come down to your ears. Are you satisfied with the sound of the Axe. If you are, you'll never use your amp again. There are endless tweaks in the AxeFX that could keep you busy for years - but if you hate that, it could be an awful experience. If you enjoy it, it'll be the time of your life. Myself, I just turn the dial to a new amp and play. I enjoy most of the presets as they are - sometimes using minor tweaks. The one thing you'll never get with your amp is a fantastic heavy distortion that you can hear but they can't hear in the next room.

I thought that you could try it and if you're not satisfied, ship it back. But perhaps I was mistaken about that.

Good luck with the decision. It's not an easy one up front, but when I look back, it's the best piece of equipment I've ever bought. I'm reluctant to give up my couple amps (and not classic/great amps) because I'm a hoarder. But I don't use them at all and truly feel guilty for not getting rid of them and letting someone use them.

But I also have to agree with the other guys chiming in -- don't sell that amp if you don't have to. You won't find a better, more versatile rock n roll tube amp IMHO. I'm surprised you say the XTC is too loud, because I found it has a very good master volume overall. The AXE FX II will record fabulous (no mics!) so that's a winner.

In order to facilitate the fx, I would have to part with mr bogner. I absolutely agree that the xtc is the go to amp for a gigging musician.

But tonight is much like a lot of nights I have. The kids are in bed, the wife is in bed and I'm wide awake. In my scenario the xtc is too loud to turn on now, lol. When I had the pod xt setup, I'd pop on a set of headphones and lay some tracks on my shitty tascam 4 track. The fact of the matter is, and what has inspired this quest of mine, is I finnaly turned on my xtc for the first time in over 2 years, and it inspired the hell out of me. Again, I can't do that at 9:30 at night. Btw, the bogner takes a bit of knob turning and tweaking to get it cooking on all 8. I love tweaking but don't want that to be something that I have to spend more time doing then playing.

I know that the tech has come a long way, but I am a picky bitch when it comes to tone. That Brit Floyd link I posted sounds great, but it's still missing the fat woody round tone that David had on the pulse recording, especially the opening guitar phrasing. Not slamming those guys at all, the solo tone was pretty damned good.

I saw a satch clip of a guy doing flying in a blue dream. Pretty dammed good, and glad to hear feedback but still missing that round woody tone. Then I realize that I'm listen to YouTube clips so it's not really a fair representation of what the unit can do.

The ods clips and fusion clips sound great.

So it brings me back to having to plug into it and play for an hour and mess around with the foot switch and see what it can do. Problem is I have to sell my bogner and cab to buy the unit and foots witch to try it. If I like it I'm golden, if I dont, I'm fucked, lol.

Back
Top Bottom