Thinking of buying some presets....Suggestions please??

I'm a big, biased fan of @austinbuddy's presets if what you're after is a solid foundation for starting presets of you're own. They are not filled with effects or specific tones for specific songs. Instead, they're wonderfully dialed-in archetypes of all the amp models in the box.

If you want specific presets for specific songs or a showcase of fine effect usage you should look into @Moke's or @fremen's preset packs -- both are also excellent in their own regard.

For your stated genres I'd probably advise you go with @austinbuddy's pack and then build around some really excellent amp/cab pairings for those genres in his pack.

I'm a big, biased fan of @austinbuddy's presets if what you're after is a solid foundation for starting presets of you're own. They are not filled with effects or specific tones for specific songs. Instead, they're wonderfully dialed-in archetypes of all the amp models in the box.

If you want specific presets for specific songs or a showcase of fine effect usage you should look into @Moke's or @fremen's preset packs -- both are also excellent in their own regard.

For your stated genres I'd probably advise you go with @austinbuddy's pack and then build around some really excellent amp/cab pairings for those genres in his pack.
Cheers for the suggestion mate.

I can only speak for Fremens presets, but many of those have become my main presets with the only tweaks being the footswitch layouts. Great sounds, especially the cleans which I had been struggling with.

Is it crazy to think half the fun is tinkering with your own custom presets, and explore the different amps and effects? Even though it might not sound quite as good as the pros?

Asking for a friend...

Is it crazy to think half the fun is tinkering with your own custom presets, and explore the different amps and effects? Even though it might not sound quite as good as the pros?

Asking for a friend...

It's not crazy at all. I've been VERY tempted to buy others' presets, but I know that the effectiveness of someone else's programming FOR ME depends on all the gear/talent/fingers in the chain. The type of guitar, the type of pickup, the type of speaker, the type of amp(if using one) and picking style really factor in for me, so I can't see how someone could write something better than myself for my situation . I've loved dabbling with this thing, and would encourage anyone to spend lots of time navigating it and writing their own presets and to learn all about it! With that said, I'm still totally curious about using someone else's programs, but I didn't find any presets on here I used, so still not convinced the others will work for me .. (Still gonna do it someday though! lol)
Eric

Asking for a friend...
Not at all
I’ve been happy creating my own tones.
Though I’m wanting to hopefully fast track the learning curve, finding the presets that I like and looking at the parameters and how they are set.
I’m that convinced in this box that I’m wanting to use it direct on a regular basis in 2018.
I haven’t had a lot of In depth time with it up until now, so for the next six weeks I’ll be working at it everyday, starting with the Austin Buddy pack.
:)

Asking for a friend...
It's not, but there are some combinations that I have no personal experience. Actually, given the number of amp/cab pairings we have now there are a lot of combinations I have no personal experience with! I'm happy to rely on Buddy's considerable experience here to give me archetypes for pairings to get me started. Sometimes you want to get into the ballpark fast so you can spend your time finding your seat; that's where Buddy's pack really shines.

And having them on hand certainly doesn't preclude building something from scratch on your own. One does not negate the other.

I think you would get more mileage out of researching on your own settings and speaker types, mic's etc for whatever tone you are going after. There is plenty of resources to get you started. The presets are fairly affordable also but if you don't try yourself first and edumucate then you won't appreciate as much and know how to fine tune as well as you might if you go after it first.

I've tried some and I was unable to use any of them without doing some tweaking. This is probably true of most anyone who buys patches which begs the question, why spend the money? The factory presets and default amp/effect settings are among the best of any modeler I've ever seen and are great references and/or starting points. If you still want to try other's presets, look for the free presets offered by some of the users on the forum like @2112 a.k.a. Leon Todd. There are others but from the ones I've tried, his are the most ready to go.

I was of the opinion 'why pay'.

Then on a whim I got the Austin Buddy Naked Amps.

It's just wonderful, I still edit the sounds, I still add all the effects around it. But it's given me a much clearer idea of the sound of each of the models, which I like and don't like - and also a decent IR pairing.

And proved to me, I didn't need to buy any more IRS (I have a bit of an Ownhammer collection!)

Does Austin Buddy's Naked Amp pack take up all of the presets or is there room to build your own after you've purchased? Newbie here.

I think buying vs. rolling your own presets is a decision each player needs to make based on his or her situation.

Personally, I barely have enough time to play much less tinker with the seemingly countless combination of amps, IRs, and effects. So, for me at least, Fremen’s presets gave me a good starting place to dial in my sound more efficiently, especially while I am still new to Fractal and have a lot to learn.

I look forward to trying out AustinBuddy’s presets and think they will be a great time saver too.

But, I certainly understand that other folks have more knowledge and/or time than I do and can build amazing sounds from scratch. I’ll get there eventually.

That’s the beauty of these devices. They support all types of players. Great times to play guitar... though I guess it always has been.

Back
Top Bottom