Thinking of buying a backup AX8 for my main AX8 this Boxing Day.... Need advice.

dsouza

Experienced
Okay.. So I'm thinking I've got an AX8 in immaculate condition, Made in the USA. I paid $1400 CAD (With Leather Bag) + $600 CAD of CUSTOM presets on it. So it's worth about $2000 CAD at least at the time of purchase last year.

And if it dies on me. I can't just buy an FM9 and load those presets which were designed for the AX8 specifically.

Therefore I'd be screwed if I ever performed and my machinery crapped out.

Now an AX8 in excellent condition goes for about $1200 CAD used here in Toronto from some major online sellers.

If I buy another AX8 I get it for $1200 in excellent condition and if my current AX8 crashes I have a system that I can backup 100% and also use without any learning curve. I would not practice back and forth between both AX8's and it's possible it would give trouble if it collects dust for too long but I would power it up every 1-2 months and play it for a few hours to keep it's motor running smoothly so to speak.

The problem is my AX8 may not crash as I am not hardcore performing now and it rarely leaves my home. Also in 10-15 years it will be a junker. Does it make sense having 2 junkers to get rid off?

Another alternative is to buy an FM9 to back up the AX8.. It is foolish to buy the FM9 at this time. First of all I'd be spending $3500+ CAD for it with tax. Secondly, if my AX8 crashed the $600 CAD worth of presets I bought for it are useless on the FM9. I would have to buy all my $600 CAD presets all over again and modify them the way I did on the AX8... The learning curve of the FM9 is also an issue. And would I even be up and running in short order if I was a gigging artist?

The second FM9 solution is to wait 8-10 years for the price of the FM9 new and used to go down. With technology the way it is It would probably go for $1500 CAD used or $2200 CAD new by then. Then all I do is buy the custom presets for it for $600 CAD. And my total investment is $2100 CAD used for a 2-3 year old FM9.

In this case I have my FM9 which is then my current sytem and my AX8 has miraculously held its place as my new backup should it not die on me.

I can keep the AX8 as long as it works and when it junks buy another new/used FM9 12-15 years down the line as a more promising backup.

What do you guys think? Buy another AX8 now and hope they both last me 20 years? Use my CUSTOM presets for the second AX8 by simply doing a fractal bot backup on it! Or wait for the FM9 to drop in price 8-10 years from now and then get a new/used one and buy new custom presets?

What is the best and most logical decision? Remember I am not giggin outside of twitch.tv (in my home studio) for the next several years most likely. I want the best, easiest, and most economical solution worthy of my investment.

If you thinking buying NEITHER another AX8 or FM9 is a better decision for me then state that as well.

Last edited:
Why have a back up if you are not gigging?

However, if you need a backup get the FM3 or FM9. The learning curve is not as a big as you might think.

Last edited:
What is the best and most logical decision? Remember I am not giggin outside of twitch.tv (in my home studio) for the next several years most likely. I want the best, easiest, and most economical solution worthy of my investment.

Since you are not gigging, and you are happy with your tone, the most logical decision is to continue using your current AX8. No investment needed
star trek spock GIF

In few years, when you start gigging, you could probably get a FM3 or FM9 for a lower price.
logical star trek GIF

The consensus is to get an FM3 or FM9 in a few years when I start gigging and when the prices have gone down. It will be a good 5 years until all my 20 of my Performance series videos have been recorded on YT and I have performed them all live on Twitch. Right now since I'm not gigging if it breaks down I can always afford to send it back to FAS for repair and wait a few weeks for it to come back.

I have decided going from the AX8 to the FM3 doesn't make much sense with it's small footprint and few switches. I will invest in a used FM9 which will be common to see on the online market by then.

I will use my AX8 for gigging and keep my newer FM9 in the studio where it remains in better health with close to zero chance of getting damaged or stolen. ;)

Last edited:
The consensus is to get an FM3 or FM9 in a few years when I start gigging and when the prices have gone down. It will be a good 5 years until all my 20 of my Performance series videos have been recorded on YT and I have performed them all live on Twitch. Right now since I'm not gigging if it breaks down I can always afford to send it back to FAS for repair and wait a few weeks for it to come back.

I have decided going from the AX8 to the FM3 doesn't make much sense with it's small footprint and few switches. I will invest in a used FM9 which will be common to see on the online market by then.

I will use my AX8 for gigging and keep my newer FM9 in the studio where it remains in better health with close to zero chance of getting damaged or stolen. ;)
You could always insure your gear if you are worried about it. This place has good rates at higher amounts (say, $10k+).

https://www.musicproinsurance.com/

Get an fm9,
Install fractool
Export your ax8 presets
Use fractool to convert your ax8 presets to Axefx3 presets
Install the Axefx3 presets into your fm9
Tweak to taste.

Okay.. So I'm thinking I've got an AX8 in immaculate condition, Made in the USA. I paid $1400 CAD (With Leather Bag) + $600 CAD of CUSTOM presets on it. So it's worth about $2000 CAD at least at the time of purchase last year.

And if it dies on me. I can't just buy an FM9 and load those presets which were designed for the AX8 specifically.

Therefore I'd be screwed if I ever performed and my machinery crapped out.

Now an AX8 in excellent condition goes for about $1200 CAD used here in Toronto from some major online sellers.

If I buy another AX8 I get it for $1200 in excellent condition and if my current AX8 crashes I have a system that I can backup 100% and also use without any learning curve. I would not practice back and forth between both AX8's and it's possible it would give trouble if it collects dust for too long but I would power it up every 1-2 months and play it for a few hours to keep it's motor running smoothly so to speak.

The problem is my AX8 may not crash as I am not hardcore performing now and it rarely leaves my home. Also in 10-15 years it will be a junker. Does it make sense having 2 junkers to get rid off?

Another alternative is to buy an FM9 to back up the AX8.. It is foolish to buy the FM9 at this time. First of all I'd be spending $3500+ CAD for it with tax. Secondly, if my AX8 crashed the $600 CAD worth of presets I bought for it are useless on the FM9. I would have to buy all my $600 CAD presets all over again and modify them the way I did on the AX8... The learning curve of the FM9 is also an issue. And would I even be up and running in short order if I was a gigging artist?

The second FM9 solution is to wait 8-10 years for the price of the FM9 new and used to go down. With technology the way it is It would probably go for $1500 CAD used or $2200 CAD new by then. Then all I do is buy the custom presets for it for $600 CAD. And my total investment is $2100 CAD used for a 2-3 year old FM9.

In this case I have my FM9 which is then my current sytem and my AX8 has miraculously held its place as my new backup should it not die on me.

I can keep the AX8 as long as it works and when it junks buy another new/used FM9 12-15 years down the line as a more promising backup.

What do you guys think? Buy another AX8 now and hope they both last me 20 years? Use my CUSTOM presets for the second AX8 by simply doing a fractal bot backup on it! Or wait for the FM9 to drop in price 8-10 years from now and then get a new/used one and buy new custom presets?

If you thinking buying NEITHER another AX8 or FM9 is a better decision for me then state that as well.

Enjoy your AX8! Use it, don’t abuse it! If the day comes that it stops working… well, shopping for new gear is cool!
Just keep an eye out for a good deal on a used FM3, just in case!

Back
Top Bottom