Thinking about buying an axe-fx...would you do it again?

In a second, i would purchase my Ultra many times over. Best piece of gear bar none!!!!! The nice thing about it is, Cliff is a genius and is always updating and adding improvements!!!!!

Joe

I wouldn't buy any other piece ever if i didn't have to.
In retrospect i could have lived with my modded mp-1 just the same, it still kills for what it does when i play it i love it just as much.
I could also live with plugging into a 6505 and my trusty eq if i had too as well, no problem.
However all the extra benefits of the axe, the flexibility, cleaner tones for recording the pristine quality, the effects, ect make it the only logical end all choice when compared to everything else to me. It does take some tweaking, more for others less for some but it's practically only limited to your imagination. It's truly way more than i need, but for what i want it for it's awesome.

Yes - although I'd maybe try a POD HD or 11 Rack to see if one of them would cut it for me. The Axe's mega-tweakable capabilities are lost on me. Last gig I did was Nash tele into a Marsha sim for the entire show with boost, delay and wah - no cabs sims- just poweramp into a miced 2x12. Roll back the vol to clean it up and step on the boost for leads. Hardly even needed to tweak the tone stack- I think I just bumped the mids, treble and pres a bit. Sounded and felt awesome and got great props on the tone from other guitarists in the crowd! So I sometimes wonder if one of the 'simpler' less tweakable options would work OK...but whether the sound quality/feel would be there, I don't know. I'd definitely be in the market for an Axe-FX lite!

Absolutely Buy it again.

But it does take a bit of time to get it right. The axe is capable of great tones easily, to get to fantastic takes a bit. And we all want fantastic, don't we?
Btw, most of the tweakers threads are about cabs, which you don't need when you use a real cabs.

It is much easier than with the Vetta, which I had too. The vetta needed to use two amps to sound passable, the axe sounds great with just one.

ForeverDawn said:
.....I want a variety of super solid clean, crunch, and high gain tones that sound great raw or with just a hint of reverb....just like an amp!

.......The ever tweaking ever evolving tone is a bunch of garbage in my opinion.......

......I plug into a 6505+, put the eq on flat, turn the gain up to taste and its amazing right away (distortion).

To answer your question, I would buy the Axe again, I love it. For my low volume studio it's perfect and sounds fantastic.

But I see a lot of red flags in your post. The people that seem to have the most trouble with the Axe are high volume, "must sound and feel just like my tube amp stack and I don't want to have to tweak" guys. There are certainly lots of guys who have had success replacing their amps in high volume applications, but there is going to be some tweaking and experimentation involved, it's just the nature of the beast. The guys without the patience to do this are the ones who show up on TGP bagging the Axe when it doesn't work for them right out of the box.

JWW

JWDubois said:
ForeverDawn said:
.....I want a variety of super solid clean, crunch, and high gain tones that sound great raw or with just a hint of reverb....just like an amp!

.......The ever tweaking ever evolving tone is a bunch of garbage in my opinion.......

......I plug into a 6505+, put the eq on flat, turn the gain up to taste and its amazing right away (distortion).

To answer your question, I would buy the Axe again, I love it. For my low volume studio it's perfect and sounds fantastic.

But I see a lot of red flags in your post. The people that seem to have the most trouble with the Axe are high volume, "must sound and feel just like my tube amp stack and I don't want to have to tweak" guys. There are certainly lots of guys who have had success replacing their amps in high volume applications, but there is going to be some tweaking and experimentation involved, it's just the nature of the beast. The guys without the patience to do this are the ones who show up on TGP bagging the Axe when it doesn't work for them right out of the box.

JWW
Right on. Very well put.

Dutch said:
JWDubois said:
ForeverDawn said:

JWW
Right on. Very well put.

Gotcha, Im not afraid of tweaking...hell I had to do it a little bit even with the tube amps. I just dont want to return to "waste 6 years of life tweaking the vetta hell" and still have a pile of crap that I trained my ears to sound good :). Luckily im not really needing an awesome high gain distortion sound as the powerball and 6505+ handle that just fine. This is the area where amp modelers seem to try the most and fail the most at. If I happen to get an awesome dual recto sound out of the axe fx then horray, but im honestly not expecting so much from that dept. I really want cleans that will blow me away even with minimal effects that sound solid and don't distort super easily. I thought initially that line 6 had good clean tones but comparing them to pretty much any other really good clean "real amp" the tones are always lacking... like its a picture of a good clean tone, but somehow hollow and without "body". So if I can get some awesome cleans and crunch tones out of this with pristine incredible effects then ill be happy...... if not ill send it back and be out about 50 bucks :)

Last night we had our final rehearsal for our Christmas service. I went up to the sound people afterwards and asked them how things sounded. "That was great!", "Your guitar fit in the mix perfectly" and "I didn't have to tweak it at the board" were the responses. I was using (among other things) a Fender Blackface clean tone and a Plexi-esque crunch.

Welcome aboard!

-AL

Just did sound check and wondered how I ever did a gig without my Axe-Fx. Small footprint and so versatile. I would buy it again in a minute.Man am I looking forward to tonight's gig. Huge stage combined with huge sound = :D
Merry Christmas.

I had one bought a second, sold a second and a year later bought it back again.
Proud owner of two ultras. So I answer yes I'd buy it again x2.

Merry Xmas.

Without question I would buy it again! And I had to sell a Mesa Mark IV short head to get it!

I use it primarily for recording. And for this it is simply unmatched IMO.

Haven't worked much getting that amp in the room sound, but I am very happy with the amp I have for that so I haven't really put any effort in to that.

Only regret I have to this point is having waited several years to believe the hype. Lots of time wasted trying to dial in tones with other stuff that could have been spent playing happily.

I'd absolutely buy it again.

But that's just me; can't speak for everyone.

shasha said:
Only regret I have to this point is having waited several years to believe the hype. Lots of time wasted trying to dial in tones with other stuff that could have been spent playing happily.

I'd absolutely buy it again.

But that's just me; can't speak for everyone.

That speaks for me too.

I absolutely would buy again.... in fact, I will be buying an Ultra hopefully by this spring. I had to sell my Ultra a couple months ago to pay off some bills and I have been missing it badly ever since. It is a fantastic piece and just keeps getting better

Back
Top Bottom