Thinking about a Monitor upgrade...

boyce89976

Experienced
I'm thinking about upgrading my monitors, and getting some room treatment for my studio (treatment is a long time coming). I'm currently using Kali LP6's to monitor the Axe III, and they are great, and everything dialed in on them translates well both recording and live, but I have the itch for some really nice monitors.

I'm looking at either the Focal Shape 65 or the Barefoot Footprint02. The primary use would be monitoring the Axe III (everything from practicing, dialing in tones, tracking guitars, etc...). The Focal's are about $900 cheaper, but the Barefoot's (Barefeet?) have a flatter response, and their MEME technology virtually eliminates the need to have multiple monitors.

What do you guys think? I could stick with the Kali's and probably be happy, but an upgrade would be nice.

Last edited:
The Barefoot all day long. They are quite mid forward (like Yamaha ns, hs monitors), way more than the Kali monitors are. They will take getting used to if you are not used to that. They are not a monitor to jam to music with as they are quite flat, but for mixing and recording/setting tones they are perfect.

When I replace my mains/far field monitors The MM27/26 or the Amphion twin 18 with a sub are what I have it down to.
I just updated my near fields this past year to the Kali IN8 from the Audix Studio 1As. I only switched because I kept losing old analog power amps. I am starting to have issues with the 2 amps powering my JBL LSR 32s for my mains.

James

I would buy/build some acoustic treatment first. In a treated room you’ll get a much bigger benefit from upgrading your speakers. In an untreated room all the same phase / comb filtering issues will be present on both cheap and expensive speakers.

I would buy/build some acoustic treatment first. In a treated room you’ll get a much bigger benefit from upgrading your speakers. In an untreated room all the same phase / comb filtering issues will be present on both cheap and expensive speakers.
This is good advice.

Do not buy or try upgraded monitoring until you treat your room.

Otherwise you are making decisions about tonality and flatness of a monitor that may be illusory. As someone who made this mistake in the past, there's nothing worse than buying monitors pre treatment and finding out that their character has changed in a negative way once you flatten the deficiencies in your room's acoustic issues.

I'm thinking about upgrading my monitors, and getting some room treatment for my studio (treatment is a long time coming). I'm currently using Kali LP6's to monitor the Axe III, and they are great, and everything dialed in on them translates well both recording and live,
I think you already answered your question with that statement.

I find these threads interesting. I noticed a huge upgrade with my ADAM a7x playing at a volume up just enough to hear all the details. No doubt room treatment is important, but the differences are still staggering IMO. Would my sound be better with room treatment and the previous presonus monitors? I think not. Looking forward to finding out the truth after treating this room though!

I'm thinking about upgrading my monitors, and getting some room treatment for my studio (treatment is a long time coming). I'm currently using Kali LP6's to monitor the Axe III, and they are great, and everything dialed in on them translates well both recording and live, but I have the itch for some really nice monitors.

I'm looking at either the Focal Shape 65 or the Barefoot Footprint02. The primary use would be monitoring the Axe III (everything from practicing, dialing in tones, tracking guitars, etc...). The Focal's are about $900 cheaper, but the Barefoot's (Barefeet?) have a flatter response, and their MEME technology virtually eliminates the need to have multiple monitors.

What do you guys think? I could stick with the Kali's and probably be happy, but an upgrade would be nice.
Before spending a lot of $$$, I would check out a set of HS8's or other monitors with a 8" speaker. Adds a lot more low end to your guitar tones.

K
Before spending a lot of $$$, I would check out a set of HS8's or other monitors with a 8" speaker. Adds a lot more low end to your guitar tones.
Thanks for the suggestion! I’m not really a fan of the HS series due to their high-mid push. I’m looking for an ultra flat response reference monitor.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.C
I think you already answered your question with that statement.
Haha, perhaps! I don’t have any issues with the LP6’s. They do everything well, and don’t really have any warts until you start to play them loud, where they can get a little harsh.

I agree with others that treating the room first is probably best.

IMO, talk to GiK Acoustics or RealTraps. I believe they both will consult for free (I know GiK will)...they'll try to sell you stuff, but their products are good and the advice happens without/before any purchase obligation.

I'm not that familiar with those exact speakers. There's always something about Focals that I don't like when I've demo'd them. I've only heard bigger barefoots in other people's rooms and don't feel that qualified to comment.

At around the $2000-$3000 price point for monitors, I'd personally be looking to demo Neumann 80s, Nuemann 120s, or maybe something like Genelec 8030s, each with a pair of decent subwoofers (I like the JBLs for the price). I've never gotten along with the Genelecs I've worked on, but that was before I figured out how important the second subwoofer was.....I'd give them another shot now...it was probably the room sucking up all the bass and making them sound harsh. But, that all kind of depends on what you can do in your room and how much you're wiling to spend on it.

If you can't go that far or don't have the budget for everything, I'd keep the speakers, upgrade the room, and add subwoofers. Once you get to the "not crap" level of monitors, those things make a bigger difference. Especially if you're already getting good translation out of the speakers you have. Any time you change them, you're going to have to learn the new speakers.

Back
Top Bottom