Things to do if you buy a used axe fx 3?

jpp247

Hi. I bought an af3 mk2 and fc12. I tried a few searches but didn’t see anything specific on this (if I missed a thread please feel free to point me there). Anyway, what is best or standard procedure if you get your hands on one of these used - should you reset or clean it up somehow?

Thanks.

No need to do anything but start using it IMO! You could reinstall the factory presets on it if you really wanted to. Look into some FC12 layouts. Watch a bunch of Leon Todd and G66 videos if you need help dialing anything in. Enjoy :)

Hi. I bought an af3 mk2 and fc12. I tried a few searches but didn’t see anything specific on this (if I missed a thread please feel free to point me there). Anyway, what is best or standard procedure if you get your hands on one of these used - should you reset or clean it up somehow?

Thanks.
I’d…
  1. Download and install Axe-Edit III.
  2. Run a full backup following the instructions on p. 91 in the manual. Fractal Bot is built into Edit now in the Tools menu so use it.
  3. Reset it to factory settings following the “Reset Page” directions on p. 82.
  4. Update to the most recent firmware. The full release of the firmware is in https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/ and the latest Beta is available at the top of the Axe-FX III forum. READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM EXACTLY.
  5. If you're on Windows, be sure to install the "Axe-Fx III USB Driver Setup for Windows" and "Axe-Fx III USB Firmware Update v1.15" drivers found in the FX3 downloads page. If you're on macOS then only do the second one.
  6. "Clear all Presets" (p. 82 again under "Reset Page"), then reinstall the factory presets.
  7. At this point the unit should be equivalent to a factory installation.
Finding the settings the previous owner adjusted is a pain, and there’s no telling whether they changed and saved factory presets.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I will follow Greg’s instructions tomorrow - gotta go get a usb-b cable.

I've bought a couple of used modelers over the years and eventually reset them to factory settings. First thing I did though was go through the presets to see if there were any tones or effects that sounded like something I'd want to hang on to. If there was anything I wanted to keep, the effects or presets were saved to a computer for access after a system reboot.

100% what Greg said. I’d also erase user cabs and check the AC line frequency is set correctly for your country (under Settings - Global). For the last step, be sure to do that AFTER you’ve done the ‘Reset” step.

Last edited:
Why erase user cabs when the previous owner might have great ir’s loaded? Why do a reset if they might have useable presets?

As was said, just start making your own presets and explore the factory presets as well. This is what i did with my used mk1 and 3+ years in its still great.

Why erase user cabs when the previous owner might have great ir’s loaded? Why do a reset if they might have useable presets?

As was said, just start making your own presets and explore the factory presets as well. This is what i did with my used mk1 and 3+ years in its still great.
The EULA of most 3rd party IRs and presets would prohibit the use of them since the new owner didn't purchase them directly.

Just wanted to chime in I’ve jaywalked once or twice.

Enjoy the new to you axefxIII. If you try any IRs you like in there, check out the developers site and support them.

You may want to reset the system settings to factory default just in case the previous owner had some midi and/or audio things programmed in to work with his own rig

I’d…
  1. Download and install Axe-Edit III.
  2. Run a full backup following the instructions on p. 91 in the manual. Fractal Bot is built into Edit now in the Tools menu so use it.
  3. Reset it to factory settings following the “Reset Page” directions on p. 82.
  4. Update to the most recent firmware. The full release of the firmware is at fractalaudio axe-fx-iii-downloads and the latest Beta is available at the top of the Axe-FX III forum. READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM EXACTLY.
  5. If you're on Windows, be sure to install the "Axe-Fx III USB Driver Setup for Windows" and "Axe-Fx III USB Firmware Update v1.15" drivers found in the FX3 downloads page. If you're on macOS then only do the second one.
  6. "Clear all Presets" (p. 82 again under "Reset Page"), then reinstall the factory presets.
  7. At this point the unit should be equivalent to a factory installation.
Finding the settings the previous owner adjusted is a pain, and there’s no telling whether they changed and saved factory presets.
I don't seem to have any of the default FC12 layouts described in the manual. I assume (?) the above wiped them. Is there some way to restore or download them?

Back
Top Bottom