Thickening Wah

I have been checking out the wah emulations from the forum (thanks to all for sharing - they sound great). One thing I've noticed - in contrast to my actual wah pedals that can disappear with higher gain sounds, I've found that the Axe wah really excels (to my ears, it is fuller and thicker) with distortion. On clean sounds, it seems to be a bit thinner. Any tips for the clean signal chain that will assist in retaining the wah fullness on clean tones ( PEQ, compressor)? I am happy with the sound on higher gain settings, so I assume it isn't about further tweaking the wah parameters?

Jared

Not sure if this is the right section for this post (I had intended to post in the discussion section). Apologies for any confusion.

Try reducing the top cut. The Bad Horsie wah parameters put the top at 1434 whereas the Clyde 2369.

Here are the Wiki parameters:

* Clyde: Bandpass, Fmin 369, Fmax 2369, Res 4.17, Track 5.08. More info
* Morley Bad Horsie: Bandpass, Fmin 301, Fmax 1434, Res 4.37, Track 8.27.
* Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95: Bandpass, Fmin 437, Fmax 2135, Res 5.75, Track 7.99.
* Budda: Bandpass, Fmin 350, Fmax 1800, Res 5.75, Track 7.99.

As you can see the Bad Horsie is shifted much lower across the spectrum.

You might want to also add some DRIVE within the wah liven it up when being used.

Reactions: jon
Changing the modifier curve will help a lot, of course it doesn't change the sound by itself, but you will fell the difference.

Thank you for the tips guys. Did some experimenting based on your suggestions above. I am definitely getting closer - tweaking the frequency range and Q seemed to be particularly effective for getting closer to the sound i want.

Will keep you posted as I continue to refine.

There was a thread a while back about putting a PEQ or Graphic EQ either before or after the wah. I think it was after.

Back
Top Bottom