They All Sound the Same, It's About Workflow

#1 and #4 sound quite similar. I guessed one of them would be the amp and the other the axe fx
#2 is messy and I would get plenty of ear fatigue, especially in the highs (not the amp!)
#3 looks different IR/volume/eq or something is missing/lacking (not the amp!)

Actually it was Line6 that got me into modelling. Mainly for home-use as I never got any of their products to replace my "real tubes". Most modelers (with HW of as plugin) didn't give me the feel to replace my tubes. And mostly the Fender Amps or low gain options was sort of dry to me or not nice in the highs.

Since FW 19 the fx3 is more open and better in the mix (to me!) and now I even have the Fender Amps behaving more in line with what I would like to feel and hear in a mix. Made a SRV preset and got the closest that I could get even though the base was not perfect (IR/Blade California strat).

PS: of course they will never sound the same as it all depends on IR's used, Choices of tubes, not same reference amps. But 1 and 4 sound the "same" so most probably one of those is the reference amp of the fx that is modelled ;)

Yes, you are completely wrong.
If you want to be a member of this forum, you have to comment on every new firmware about how "chewy" or "glassy" the new firmware is. Or how much "more presence" or "tighter low end" it has.
These are the rules.
you know... those new tube types sounds so glassy, but I wonder if 300B tube type is not broken...maybe not enough glass in the construction of that tube :smile:

Am I wrong to not care what is what?

I like the sounds I get from my gear.
Absolutely not.

That's how I feel about most of my stuff.

I get why Cliff is obsessed with making Fractal stuff respond/sound like an amp; it's apparently a passion for him. And he (and I assume other people at Fractal, but IDK) does it extremely well. And a lot of guitarists do have the experience to make direct comparisons, even if they can't do it back-to-back well enough to really conclude anything....but it plays into how much they enjoy what they're playing, so it also makes business sense for Fractal to continue developing, however close they already are.

I don't understand the technical side of modeling nearly well enough to really appreciate it, but I do find it at least reasonably fascinating, mostly because it all boils down to math. And I just think that's cool.

But for a lot of other things....I really don't care. I just care about the result. I think it's cool that the Brainworx plugin of the Dangerou Bax EQ has been praised non-stop by people who do or used to own several of them. But, I like it because of the weird curve/shape of the high-cut. My favorite compressors aren't modeled on anything....they just work like I want them to, and I've had the opportunity to use a real SSL 4064G (with its bus comp) and several real vintage Urei 1176LNs, among others. Those are great compressors. But, so are FirComp and Pro-C2.

It's kind of hilarious that for basically the entire history of recording, engineers wanted more high end, tighter bass, lower noise, more headroom, less (or at least more selectively controllable) distortion...and for many years (at least since floating point PCM was adopted), we have insane degrees of all of those things. The digital noise floor might as well not exist, and you have to go ridiculously out of your way to unpleasantly clip a DAW (or something like a Fractal) with the sole exception of your only required ADC....and half the world is obsessed with adding noise and distortion so it sounds like the flaws inherent in the older analog designs.

I worked with an engineer who strongly preferred one of the studio's 1176s over the others, absolutely convinced it sounds better "because it's older." I never understood that. And, I never bought that as the reason.

It's really confusing sometimes.

1) very broad spectrum, a chunky sound
2) missing something in the low end, like a filter has been applied, sounds thin
3) pure mud, sounds like its using an IR with a blanket over it
4) missing some high end, like the presence is rolled off a bit

The reason I like Fractal is because I can play for long periods of time without my ears being irritated. Other modelers, although can sound pretty good, becomes irritating to my ears after a short period. When I play a real amp into the X-Load it's very smooth like the Fractal.

It took me a number of listens before I started to hear the difference just like it would if I was doing a blind test.

Lastly, I wonder if some of that bass build up is a lack of proper modeling of the impedance curve.

Yeah, my first listen was on crappy, tinny laptop speakers and I heard almost no difference. Thought Cliff was trolling us. Through good headphones it was much more obvious.

Back
Top Bottom