They All Sound the Same, It's About Workflow

Amp 1 and 4 have a similar sound, but Amp 4 sounds more natural, i.e. a bit more analog.
The harmonic distortions and the low end sound more minimally digital on Amp 1

Amp 2 is a replica of Amp 4 but more restrained in volume and dynamics.

Amp 3 sounds overstrained in the high and low end and can not fully reproduce what is played.
Dynamic jumps and lacks resolution.

1 Fractal FX3
2 competitor oc?
3 competitor ke?
4 Real Amp. Something new :)

Whereby 1 and 4 are very close to each other..

Last edited:
I am relieved but not surprised to learn that #3 is a "competitor" because that one just sounded really weird to me, like a troll was gargling sand in the background.

Boy, does that inspire an interesting visual analogy...I like it, and am sure to use that saying in the future...heh.

The clip was very well executed, in that the differences between the real amp/Fractal vs other offerings are very much revealed here.

1. Amp
2. Brand L
3. Brand N
4. Axe-Fx

All modelers with latest firmware.
So did you set all these to the same settings as in the OP or dial each one to say the #1 amp sound?

When I had the FM3, "N" and "L" at the same time, I tried dialing them to some of the amp models I liked on the FM3 and felt I got very much the same end result in terms of tone and feel, but needed different settings to match. It's been half a year but I think some of the models I tested were the AC30, JTM45 and SLO. "N" is terrible at the SLO unless you use captures of it. I've also dialed the "S" brand black box to sound very close to the FM3 Fender models when used with the same IRs.

While it's great to aim for absolute best accuracy, at least for me the superiority of a devices' amp modeling is not the primary purchase decision because I can be happy with the way all those other units do in that regard (and remember I have sold all of them and kept the FM3 despite that!). I'd put the Fractal delay/reverb/modulation fx quality, the much better cab sim block (though the "N" stock cabs are pretty dope with the movable mics...) and Axe-Edit quality as bigger differentiator features whereas the competition sets itself apart with more user friendly operation or the capturing capability.

All units were set the same: Drive on 10, Bass on 2, Treble on 8.

I don't know what an "S" brand is.
Strymon! While I would never argue that their modeling is as good as Fractal, it's again in that "sound and feels good to me and hey I like how simple this little box is" section for me.

With all the devices' models set the same, you run into the issue you yourself have highlighted in some other thread: each company has modeled a different example of amp X. Example 1 and 2 of amp X are not 100% the same due to variances in components. Plus any modeling differences on top of that. So in that sense maybe a different EQ setting would have made "N" or "L" sound closer to the real amp you have, if you want to use that as the reference tone.

Did you make a Capture (Brand N) of the
I may be wrong but this is about amp modeling verses the real amp. A capture is not something that comes in all the modelers and most people won't own the amp to capture so not relevant? Idk, my two cents

I may be wrong but this is about amp modeling verses the real amp. A capture is not something that comes in all the modelers and most people won't own the amp to capture so not relevant? Idk, my two cents
But Cliff has the amp, and he made a model of that amp, why not give the Band N a tast of that real amp, then it would be a good test ( if a device can reproduse the same sound ( a good copy ) The Capture is the flagship option on Band N

I find it a bit funny

1. Amp
2. Brand L
3. Brand N
4. Axe-Fx

All modelers with latest firmware.

We can hear the differences among all of them. We somehow agree that #4 doesn't sound like the #1, although it is close in charachter. May I ask, is your goal to make them identical or are you trying to capture only the best of the tube world without potential disadvantages? I personally like the latest FW and care only if it sounds good, I don't mind it not being "true" to the original. Thanks.

I think it would make for another interesting comparison point though and maybe tell something about differences of the full model vs the capture snapshot.

I've found "N" got let's say 98% the same sound/feel as my real tube amps (Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead and Victory VC35, captures should be available in the cloud under my username!) at particular settings, when they were all piped through the Fryette PS-100 into a guitar cab at an equivalent volume level as measured with a decibel meter. Or alternatively using cab sims from "N" with the tube amps vs capture. Like the "K" brand, it's only accurate as long as the capture block EQ is not used but that doesn't mean some tweaks from there can't sound good too.

It's a lot of work to capture a lot of different settings from a single amp tho. Ain't jealous of those who make captures/profiles for sale.

Back
Top Bottom