The World is ready for the AX8 - XL

Hmm; seems like there are a fair few folks that if they had a Stradivarius; the first thing they'd do is wonder when the Stradivarius II was coming out.

To think its worth posting these complaints; I have to wonder if they even get enjoyment out of playing or if they are so completely imprisoned by a needy ego they have no perspective and are distracted by a self created illusion of being denied their entitlement of having/deserving something better.

Or lusting after the unrealistic. Like someone buying a Mack truck because they "need" to pick up a couple of bags of beauty bark at the home store, and then complaining it doesn't handle like a sports car.

Its an extraordinary technical and artistic accomplishment that the AX8 integrates state of the art amp modeling and effects in a thoroughly thought out and robustly implemented product that is well beyond the efforts of large companies with more extensive resources. Plus, the AX8 is less than the cost of even one of the boutique amps modeled: and unlike vintage amps: it needs no maintenance. The switching versatility is superb.

If this isn't enough, and you can't make this work for you: the real problem is to be found in the mirror.

As FZ said "Shuttup and play yer guitar".

this thread doesn't seem like a complaint.

when the Axe-Fx first came out way back when, people already wished for the floor model :) and that's finally here. so perhaps one day :)

The sharc chips in XL need to be cooled. Not enough space for that in an Mfc frame

I have seen some really wizzbang computers that are liquid cooled, why not use high flow fans that pass air through the inside of the chassis? there are a ton of ideas that can be brought to bear.

I surprised someone hasn't come up with a kit to convert an XL and an MFC into a floorboard. I know I have thought about it but I don't have the resource nor the captel to R&D it.

Actually I recently read an interview with Cliff from 2011 in which he mentioned that he was working on a foot pedal version first the Axe FX. Just a bit of trivia.
There was one forum member that when he went to buy his Ultra at FAS, saw the prototype their in the shop. If I remember correctly it was around that time frame.

There was one forum member that when he went to buy his Ultra at FAS, saw the prototype their in the shop. If I remember correctly it was around that time frame.
In recall thought I thought he was picking up an ii but either which way someone mentioned it back then

That would be a fairly large, heavy floorboard...no?

Unknown, I don't know the cooling requirements of a Shark processor but I see your point I was just throwing out ideas. The funny thing is the Standard and Ultra had no air swooping at all, completely inclosed no venting... come to think of it neither did the Axe FX II mkI I just sold.

So the real question is how does a metal box with two Shark processors enclosed inside of it dissipate heat with just two small fans churning air inside of it? One would think it would be far better to vent the heat to the outside replacing it with cooler incoming air. If there is enough space inside the Axe FX for heated air to be dissipated and if one were to make the space smaller you would naturally need to introduce another method of cooling.

As with rack mounted tube power amps which generate a great deal of heat use fans and a pass through type of cooling. I don't see why a pedalboard could not employ this type of cooling method if it used the processors the Axe FX uses. I'm not an engineer but it does make sense.

Long time has passed since the first fractal was introduced. Maybe cooling has develloped enough to minimize the size of it.
Not really.

What usually happens is the chip technology advances so it can produce the same output at a higher efficiency rate and thus negate the need for cooling.

An Ax8 XL would not be for me. I love the price and the size Ax8.

However, I completely understand and respect that other people have different needs and wishes. Flexibility and customizability are kings of the mountain these days.

People don't even have the ax8's yet. Funny how people dump the II's for the ax8's and then complain about it not being powerful enough, rats nest of cables, etc. I'm guessing probably down the road.

But having my liquidfoot 12+ out front is pushing the limits of what i want to be stepping on and having in the line of fire so to speak. IMHO.

It was not a complaint(if you read my post ) It was more a wish for the future.

I am sure Fractal has already thought about it. And decided( upon many requests) to launch a produkt to compete in the mid/ High price range. But with the great Sound known from the Big brother.

I Can see advantages of have the brain in a rack. To me is having controller and brain in one unit just more appealing.

AAEN

There have been other similar requests even before the AX8 started shipping. One guy said he'd pay anything for an XL + MFC unit. Anything.

I asked if he'd pay $15,000 or so and he was like "oh no way I meant I'd pay something like $3,000." ;)

There have been other similar requests even before the AX8 started shipping. One guy said he'd pay anything for an XL + MFC unit. Anything.

I asked if he'd pay $15,000 or so and he was like "oh no way I meant I'd pay something like $3,000." ;)

I would bet 15K could get you on the way to building XL+/MFC kits for sale to people that wanted this level of pedal board.

Oeh. I'd go for that, with the scribble strips and button flexibility of my 12+, at least 16 buttons. Larger format not a problem.
The Ax8 will probably suffice for my needs, but the idea that there is MORE of it is enough to make my mouth water.

It's about time AD came with a successor to the tigerSHARC. More power, less heat. Should be doable by now.

Already placing a $1.4 unit on the floor is an issue, placing a $3k unit on the floor in front of dancing singers with high heels is for me a big case where I think thrice before doing something like that with a huge investment, not to speak the show must go on.

Already placing a $1.4 unit on the floor is an issue, placing a $3k unit on the floor in front of dancing singers with high heels is for me a big case where I think thrice before doing something like that with a huge investment, not to speak the show must go on.

I have seen guys with 3K easy on their pedalboards feeding a 3K boutique amp working that kind of gig. As much as I agree with you players will do whatever it takes to play the gig.

Back
Top Bottom