the ultimate axe fx headphones

I was goin to get the Blue Mofi's until I put them on my head then ended up with the ATH-M50x's. As noted above they have great features but my only point on those would be they seem to be a bit bass hyped. The Blue Lolas were a contender for sure but at that point it came to what was cheaper. Wondering if I should have forked out the extra skrillah for the Lola's now...

ATH-M50x. My friend went to Webster University for audio engineering and these were the ones they made the students get. He suggested them to me and I love them.

I just upgraded and pushed the boat out... Got the Sennheiser HD800S
Wowser! Astounding set of headphones. Very balanced, unbelievable clarity, and everything seems to have depth which they somehow make you feel..(if that makes sense??)

For me, closed headphones aren't enjoyable. I like the open air style like my old senn 580's. Consider what you will be comfortable wearing as much as just straight tone.

I have/use: Blue Lola, Sony MDR7506, ATM40fs (supposed to be flatter than 50s). The Blues, they are the non-amplified version of the MoFi... they are probably what I consider the gold standard of those three, but I cross check with the Sony's a lot and there are some things about them I really like over the others (they bring out the high end really clearly to me). The Audio Technicas are my #3, do not care much for them, TBH, but they are another good cross check to look for problems.

I have AKG702's and must say the sound through these are also disappointing, I don't have any other decent headphones to compare them to. In comparison to my JBL studio monitors, the clean tones are OK, but the overdriven tones are thin, harsh and unrealistic. I have read in other posts that the headphone output will be lacking in bass, and will sound different to the main outputs from the axe, is this anybody else's experience? For the people who say they are pleased with the headphone sound, what genre of music are you using them for?

Ok, so I got the Sony MDR 7520’s today along with the Aphex Headpod 4 Channel Headphone Amp. So I had a chance to put up the ATH-M50’s/ DT770’s/ 7510’s & there’s just no comparison. All the other three sounded two dimensional, like all the instruments were stacked on top of each other with no “air” and no depth compared to the 7520’s. Remarkably so really. It’s pretty “uncanny” how much of a difference there is, excuse the pun. :eek:

i think i will be getting the DT 880 pro.

what your opinion on the whole closed/open design? which should i be getting for Axe Fx usage and editing at home mostly?

i think i will be getting the DT 880 pro.

what your opinion on the whole closed/open design? which should i be getting for Axe Fx usage and editing at home mostly?
If you’re not worried about sound bleeding into microphones or someone hearing what your listening to then open headphones for sure.

I use sennheiser hd 25 sp 2 and things goes well when I go on PA :)
It's only for silent rehearsal and recording, I check on my yamaha hs7 and then on various PA at acoustic rehearsals. And on stage we have cheap wedges as monitors.

Building presets using headphones can be disappointing when you play the same presets through monitors. Just saying.

Yeah, you definitely need to know that you WILL need to make some final adjustments at gig volume.

I was able to get pretty close with my ath-r70 s
and only had to fine tune it at sound check.

Building presets using headphones can be disappointing when you play the same presets through monitors. Just saying.
Yep. Before my cab came I spent the first 3 weeks building presets thru my studio monitors at a soft volume as well and when cab finally came,I hooked it up and cranked that shit... past gig volume. And wow it sure sounded awful. Those presets were scrapped

Back
Top Bottom