the ultimate axe fx headphones

ilya

Inspired
hi, just got myself a new Axe-Fx XL+ a week ago, realy dig the unit, probably will take me a few weeks to get used to it.. ;)

anyway, since most of the time i am playing at home, and usualy at latenight hours i need your opinion guys on- HEADPHONES.

atm i am having the AKG k240 studio model and the sound i am getting isnt too good to be honest.
will getting myself beyerdynamic dt 880 pro make a HUGE diffrence? if not i would like to hear which model will make me get the ultimate sound,the best sound is possible with headphones.

i dont mind paying the price since its one of the most used iteams for me on a daily basis. so what do you think?

other tips for headphone use will be thankfully accpeted, and yes, ive rade other posts about headphones and watch the wiki axe fx section aswell.

thanks alot!

I don't have time to look it up, but about two years ago Cliff himself recommended a specific model of headphones. I believe it had "blue" somewhere in the title (but I am over 50 so more than likely that's wrong). Search Cliff's post's (Fractalaudio) for "headphone," maybe plus "blue" and you'll get the recommendation of the man himself.

i also have the AKG 240's and eventhough i mostly play with a 4x12 , i've been able to get awesome sounds out of those. are you sure your cab sims are turned on?

I don't have time to look it up, but about two years ago Cliff himself recommended a specific model of headphones. I believe it had "blue" somewhere in the title (but I am over 50 so more than likely that's wrong). Search Cliff's post's (Fractalaudio) for "headphone," maybe plus "blue" and you'll get the recommendation of the man himself.
Blue Mo Fi...too heavy for my head, but apparently lots of Fractal folk swear by em. Me , the ultimate headphone is the Sennheiser 800..................

i also have the AKG 240's and eventhough i mostly play with a 4x12 , i've been able to get awesome sounds out of those. are you sure your cab sims are turned on?
yes it is.
i mean, its sound "alright" but not as i expected..

realy need to get myself a good pair of monitors..

have AKG 240's and not only do they suck but they have fallen apart and the stereo goes out on them!
bought Beyer DT 770's few yrs back and they make the headphone experience nirvana

ultrasone 750 pro... I love the ultasone's. they do have a break in period but they are nice and flat and super to mix with. Very accurate which is so important

I have both the Shure SRH-940's and Sennheiser HD-650's, both sound good but I would give the overall sound quality to the 650's. But I prefer playing through my ASM-12. You can dial in very low volumes and the sound reproduction is spectacular!

I have Sennheiser HD380 and they work damn well with my Axe. They have kinda hyped upper mids so you might want to get used to that sound but hell those are comfortable and also they are not so ear fatiguing. I can recommend those if you just want headphones for playing.

And yea, those are closed headphones

880's are good. Presets made on them translate well to monitors and p.a. in the mids and highs, they give a good impression how it sounds and don't hype highs and don't let it sound overly clear and sterile.
You still need to retweak low mids and lows with such tweaked presets, they are never spot on when you tweak with headphones.

Last edited:
I use the BeyerDynamic DT770, they are better than my other cans but are a tad little too 'bottom endy'; probably because they are closed back. I am thinking about getting the DT880's instead, but for now the 770's certainly do a good job and have done for the last 5/6 years that I've had them.

I know the AKG (they're too harsh sounding imo), own a DT880 (they're too boomy in the low end) and have two other recommendations:
Ultrasone 750 (they're acoustically open, so not recommended in loud areas or if you don't want to disturb someone) and the BeoPlay H6 (they're acoustically closed, but soundwise also very neutral. In direct comparison they're sounding 99% as good as the Ultrasone, but with the advantage of the closed design).
For a cheaper solution, I'd go for a Audio Technica ATH-40 (I have a pair of them, too); they're also quite neutral and a closed design, but are of course not as good as the two others mentioned above. Apart from that the earpads and the headband cover "dissolves" after a few years (at least mine did...).

I have the ATH-M50’s, Sony MDR 7510’s & DT770’s, and just ordered the Sony MDR 7520’s & an Aphex HeadPod headphone amp. The 770’s are my least favorite, everything sounds too distant & are the first to break up when you start pushing them. But I like stuff loud. They do have the highest impedance at 250 however so they need more power, maybe the amp will fix that with these. However, I’ve heard nothing but pretty fantastic things regarding the 7520’s as far as closed back phones go, & they should be on the next level from any of the other three.
The M50’s & 7510’s I probably say it’s a toss up sound wise, but the edge to the M50s for detachable cord, extra cord, foldable, & overall build quality.

Back
Top Bottom