The truth of the "micd up" guitar sound over "real" sound ?

Gasp100 said:
EDIT: why are all of the really good FRFR solutions being produced in Europe and harder to attain in the US anyway?

Because you get to buy them at half the price! As an example, the HPR 122i is US$ 2,300 and the Verve 12MA is $1,750 list here in Norway ... :evil:

Money vs. "quality" - while it is true that the more neutral among currently available FRFR monitors are relatively expensive, it would be possible to build one that is suitable for our purposes that is much more modestly priced than the premium units.

Would you be willing to give the people that have a do it your self urge a recipe for building a "quality" powered FRFR monitor ie Parts, specs that kind of thing ?

A coaxial wedge type enclosure would be nice to keep the footprint small.

Turning one of these into a powered monitor has been mentioned but I think it too small to pull off for it to have any of the "magic" that has been mentioned.
MW12_Photo.jpg

I'd love something passive actually, and relatively efficient. I realize that's hard to do, efficiency at something like 40HZ-20KHZ. At least 90 or 91DB at 1W/M ...

Excellent thread guys, thanks for sharing.

At least for me I think I'll take the advice of if you're happy don't mess with it.

...at least until the new Atomic amp comes out

After doing a little resurch on the Micro Wedge that EAW has taken over it appears that they have made some improvements to the over all design. Here is a link to the http://ratsound.com/microwdg12_compare.htm

Also they have improved the price as well. The 12" version now sells for $2,488.00... That's right 1 12" 2way coaxial passive monitor wedge... WoW.

Please don't flame me, because I'm relatively new to the whole FRFR world, but has anyone has tried the Alto MS12MA Powered Coaxial Floor Monitor? It seems to meet most of the criteria many people are looking for on this thread: lightweight, small footprint, coaxial speaker, affordable ($479 USD brand new!!). It also has a modeller effect thing on it which allows you to select what EQ you want to use (ie. flat response, guitar, vocal etc.)

Back
Top Bottom