The single block you wish would get more attention?

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
So many areas in the Axe-Fx III are the best guitar tools I've personally used. If you could only pick one block or area (not hardware), which one do you wish would receive more attention?

It's possible to change my mind, but for now I believe the synth block. Ability to emulate some of the electro-harmonix pedals and other synth stuff would be awesome. In some cases, I believe if we had more control of attack and filters, we could achieve a lot with those and tone match? Maybe it's really controllers I'm after?

What would you like to see get more attention and why?

Definitely the Synth block..especially since it's a great sounding synth.

The major development i'd like to see for the Synth block is to extend the tracking range down to 5 string bass. The Source Audio C4 tracks the low B of a 5 string quite well, so it's possible, but it's already been requested since the Axe II and i'm guessing that would require a new Pitch follower. Yes, you can run a Pitch block before the Synth block to feed the Synth an octave up signal and then Pitch it down to unison of the 5 string, but that introduces latency.

I'd also love to see a dedicated portamento control for the Synth block. I remember Bakerman posted a unique way of achieving this with two Pitch blocks in series for the Axe II several years ago, but it adds latency, so having it onboard the synth block would be superb.

Also if i'm not mistaken, the Polyphonic EHX 9 range of pedals use quite a different approach to the Axe's Synth which is an actual digital oscillator, so to emulate those pedals might require a totally new block which is highly unlikely. I'm not sure what techniques those EHX pedals use but i suspect it's a combination of heavy filtering and distortion, plus EQ matching. Or perhaps it's like the Jam Origin Midi Guitar/Bass plugin that actually allows polyphonic triggering of Midi synths from a monophonic guitar pickup, so that the EHX sounds are being triggered instead of shaping the input signal.

I guess I would say Rotary, though, contrary to some opinions here, I think Fractal's rotary is great - just feels like there is some unexplored territory there ie: adding some leslie rotary cabinet amp tone options in the block (122, 146...), and adding some sort of cabinet section / selection specific to rotary to simulate the tonal character that's added by the type of speakers used in a real leslie as well as it's unique cabinet design (before the usual interjection at this point: not looking for an ir that does rotary effect - agreed, that's impossible, just something that represents rotary specifically rather than just routing rotary through whatever cab is being used for the rest of the guitar tone.)

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind if Fractal spent 100% of their time constantly improving the Amp and Cab block to the point where one day they say, "That's All Folks!"

I guess I would say Rotary, though, contrary to some opinions here, I think Fractal's rotary is great - just feels like there is some unexplored territory there ie: adding some leslie rotary cabinet amp tone options in the block (122, 146...), and adding some sort of cabinet section / selection specific to rotary to simulate the tonal character that's added by the type of speakers used in a real leslie as well as it's unique cabinet design (before the usual interjection at this point: not looking for an ir that does rotary effect - agreed, that's impossible, just something that represents rotary specifically rather than just routing rotary through whatever cab is being used for the rest of the guitar tone.)
+1.

Would be awesome if the Rotary had some preset "types" that nailed a few of the classic Leslie variations, and maybe the Fender Vibratone and the Doppola, the Mesa Revolver, and the Motionsound Pro 3T....

LOL! I found a Stephen Hawking text-to-speech thing online years ago and did this with it:

Man, that reminds me of when I was young and we used the voice in my Amiga to prank call someone. The recipient of the call may or may not have had a electrolarynx.

uG45X2k.gif

New:
  • Whatever block can reproduce the Mimiq (Pitch, or completely new block)
Exhisting
  • Front screen porting of block functions like Looper and RTA. For the looper a progress bar on the FC-12 main display would be useful, too.

Back
Top Bottom