The Quest for the great Soldano Tone (Live Gary Moore)

I know he only used the rhythm channel of the Soldano and a Marshall Guvnor pedal for additional gain.

Indeed.

And if you listen to him live, he uses a lot of gain.

The clean channel must have crunch enabled and be cranked at the pre gain stage with decent volume and decent amount of gain pushed in front of the amp (with the guv'nor)

Now, one problem is that there is no Marshall Guv'nor in the Axe III...

As someone who was lucky to see Gary on most tours from Run to Cover in 86 onwards.

Don’t estimate how loud he played. First time I saw him a friend who went with me fell off his motorbike whilst stationary the following day, because the volume had affected his inner ear.

That mind numbing volume whilst absolutely insane was very much part of Gary’s sound.

I’ve got no idea how he controlled it

As someone who was lucky to see Gary on most tours from Run to Cover in 86 onwards.

Don’t estimate how loud he played. First time I saw him a friend who went with me fell off his motorbike whilst stationary the following day, because the volume had affected his inner ear.

That mind numbing volume whilst absolutely insane was very much part of Gary’s sound.

I’ve got no idea how he controlled it

Most likely because it's the only way to really smooth out those highs with certain amps, like the Soldano SLO...

Honestly - I've just had a quick go, and this isn't a hard sound to get.

Solo 100 lead, master about 7 input drive about the same.

Slightly cut the bass but basically controls at noonish.

Had the gain enhancer at 2.3ish

In the pre-amp block TS808 with 12db boost

Vahalla V2 1980 IR with a SM57

Pretty close

I think his pickups also make a huge difference to get that sound. I have never able to get the exact same sound as his on my Les Paul (although it can get very close with the right amp and cab) and couldn't figure out why until I realised he was using out of phase PG Blues pups in his CC#01 guitar.

This article gives a little more info on them. I am very tempted to get those and install them in my fav Les Paul, but haven't made the jump yet!

I think his pickups also make a huge difference to get that sound. I have never able to get the exact same sound as his on my Les Paul (although it can get very close with the right amp and cab) and couldn't figure out why until I realised he was using out of phase PG Blues pups in his CC#01 guitar.

This article gives a little more info on them. I am very tempted to get those and install them in my fav Les Paul, but haven't made the jump yet!

They sure do.

I'm using some Throbak PG-102 (Peter Green clones..) in my R9 and totally love them. Only 8.6k output on the bridge but so clear.
Although, mine don't have the inverted magnet in the neck pickup. Super expensive, but great pickups. Much prefer them over the original custombuckers.

Back
Top Bottom