The old days...

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
This just popped up in my Facebook memories...

Somehow, my first real band not only managed to get into a Battle of the Bands that occurred about 5 weeks after we formed, but we wrote and performed about 6 original tunes and somehow managed to get an article in the newspaper beforehand as well! My first ever gig :)

Our singer was late and missed the photo op.

I'm on the right with my Westone Pantera

CE55F27C-A4DB-4CB9-A10E-8D1E4436461C.jpeg

My Drummer-in-law (I'm married to his sister) and I have a similar local newspaper clipping floating around somewhere. Right before a local 'Battle of the Bands' (we won:rolleyes:). He and I are the only ones in the picture.
Nice - Congrats!

I think we were ranked 4th out of 10 or 12 bands... Not bad given the short time we'd been together and I whipped up those songs pretty quickly. Most of the other bands were already well established.

classic photo. the mullet, the shades, spuds mackenzie; that puts it at late 80s early 90s. is that a mustache? try as i might i can't make out what is on your shirt. do you recall. what would be a song the band might be playing in the pic from that first gig? original and cover? band name? this takes me back. i would have been the same age at this time give or take.
good one!

classic photo. the mullet, the shades, spuds mackenzie; that puts it at late 80s early 90s. is that a mustache? try as i might i can't make out what is on your shirt. do you recall. what would be a song the band might be playing in the pic from that first gig? original and cover? band name? this takes me back. i would have been the same age at this time give or take.
good one!
Yeah, I think it was '89 or '90 but I'm not 100%.

Yes, a very weak 'stache :)

Same shirt as this pic, I think, which I believe was the battle of the bands the following year. It's The Joker (from Batman):

DD458F86-FD6E-4436-95F5-47DC8645FC12.jpeg

We played only original tunes. A few titles that might have been in that first gig:

Mean Mistreater
Let's Go
Devil's Child

It was hard rock / hair metal.

When we got that first gig we didn't actually have a name yet. When the interviewer from the paper was putting the story together, she asked the singer. The name he gave her was from a discussion I'd had with a coworker who was also a musician.

He told me, if I ever had a metal band we'd be called Righteous Sire! So that became our name... For the gig and a few months longer.

We tried various names and settled on Mach Turtle which we thought was hysterical... But after a few months we found out there was an established band called The Mock Turtles, so we changed it again.

I finally came up with HiJinx and that was the name we stuck with for 5 years or so until we disbanded.

Edit:

I love Google! This is the shirt from 1989 apparently:

1706425937708.jpeg

Edit 2:

In that gig picture, unseen in front of me is my BOSS ME-5... I loved that thing :)

Last edited:
Are those spandex shorts?!? And why has no one even commented on them yet?!? :p

Also you should've told your drummer to play with a cigarette on his lip to get the Bun E. Carlos vibe going! ;)
Yes!

I don't know!

Definitely not the first person to comment that he resembled Bun... He was in the Air Force at the time so no long hair and a very specific mustache :)

Back
Top Bottom