The "Obot" Session IR Samples

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Yesterday we went into the studio and captured some IRs using our new mic robot (or "obot" as my son calls it).

Here are two samples for you to enjoy. You can convert them to the appropriate sysex format using Cab-Lab or Cab-Lab Lite.

Mesa IIC+ w/ Beyer M160:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/1x12%20IIC+%20M160%20C.ir

Marshall 4x12 AX 25W Greenback w/ Royer R121:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/4x12%20AX%20GB%20121%20C.ir

I wonder how well a flat mic like the earthworks is capturing irs with the improvements that the di technique and ultra res has brought? It was all the rage a few years ago.

Hey Cliff, what's the intent behind Obot (need a TM there)? Did I miss a discussion on this elsewhere?

The conventional technique goes like this:
1. Point the mic at the speaker
2. Listen
3. Go "ugh, that sounds like crap"
4. Send your lackey back into the live room
5. Move the mic an inch to the right
6. GOTO 2

The obot moves the mic remotely. You sit in the control room and move the mic with your iPad. When you find a good spot, shoot an IR. Better quality IRs in less time.

The conventional technique goes like this:
1. Point the mic at the speaker
2. Listen
3. Go "ugh, that sounds like crap"
4. Send your lackey back into the live room
5. Move the mic an inch to the right
6. GOTO 2

The obot moves the mic remotely. You sit in the control room and move the mic with your iPad. When you find a good spot, shoot an IR. Better quality IRs in less time.

...and probably sparing some serious ear fatigue too. I would imagine adding to the quality control as well.

Cliff,

Are you using a commercially available obot? What is its range of motion? Can it change the angle of the mic?

Ok, 3rd in a row.....
I've been thinking 'outside the box', how about a new ObotIR format that is essentially a bundle of say 10 ir's. Couple this with ObotCab block that replaces the cab block. Load in the bundle, then midi up an down to move through to find your perfect sound. Save which you like to scratch pad then load into a cab block.
Just an idea :)

Back
Top Bottom