The new James Tyler Variax

Anyone else interested in these? I was talking about getting one of these for when I go to Korea for a year and my wife suprised me by preordering a tobacco sunburst JTV-59. I know Line 6 isn't the most popular brand in these parts, but this guitar looks pretty nice. Anyone else thinking about picking one up?

I pre-ordered one in like August, but I'm going to cancel it. I'm tired of waiting, and I've become a strat guy in the meantime.

I have a pretty rocking guitar collection. I didn't really need it, but I thought it would be a really cool piece of gear to have. I still think it will be, I've just lost interest in it for now.

The M13 is a fantastic piece of equipment IMO, and I'm sure Rich did just as much of a bangup job with the JTV.

D

It's the next gear purchase for me after an MFC-101. The Strat-esque one has my eye.

I pre-ordered one in like August, but I'm going to cancel it. I'm tired of waiting,

Me too ....

Until I found a 2000 PRS CU-24 that was special ordered to the 1985-86 Spec .... So I went that way instead !

I have had a black JTV-69 on order since August...any day now. Hopefully it will be here in the next few weeks. I'll report on how on it when I get it.

What I actually want is the simulation electronics from a JTV implanted into a guitar of my choosing, with a 13-pin pass-through. I doubt that'll happen though. RackVax makes a GT3-compatible system, but it uses the older electronics. Depending on how much of a difference that makes, I may or may not care.

The there are two sticking points for me on the JTV. First, if I'm gonna be playing one guitar all the time, I want it to have 24 frets and the 24-fret JTV isn't what I'm looking for aesthetically in a guitar (I'm shallow, I know). Secondly, I want to get a MIDI system (VG-8/88/99 or GI-10/20 or similar thing) at some point, and, unlike the JTV, the RackVax has a 13-pin pass-through.

Or I suppose I could, like, save my money or something, and not buy stuff I don't actually need, but where's the fun in that?

I'm kind of in the same boat... I want a 24 fret paul or strat model myself. Warmoth used to be able to throw a Variax module into one of their bodies, so I'm crossing my fingers they'll do the same with the JT series. We'll see!

I had one of the original Variax 500s - was way better than I thought it could be - some models I really liked, a few I didn't. Even today it's still probably the best solution for maximum versatility with minimum setup: 3 cables, Variax guitar, Vetta amp & floorboard for something that can instantly switch guitar, amp & speaker models. One footswitch to change from pristine acoustic to Les Paul/Marshall raunch. Plus instant alternate tunings & other Variax tricks. Easily realistic enough for the punters to not know the difference in a live band situation.

But I found myself using Tele models most of the time which was kind of dumb with a real Tele sitting in the wardrobe, and I was eventually seduced by the improved tones from the AxeFX.

Last edited:
I ordered a JTV 69 Black and am eagerly waiting. There are several posts in the L6 forum of people who already got theirs. There are some minor guitar finish complaints, but so far people seem satisfied.

I can't wait to use my new JTV with my Ultra!!!

Just got mine today. Great setup/build. Sound pretty darn good mags and models. No piezo tink that I can hear. Mine was missing the manual and wrenches.

Which model did you get? What color? How is the fit/finish?

69 sunburst.
Finish is good. No flaws I could see. Typical $1k guitar finish. The set up was very good. I don't need to make any adjustments. No buzzes or issues. Sounds great w/ the stock pickups. Otherwise, it sounds like the variax w/o the piezo tink that drove me nuts. It looks better in person than from online photos. Much higher quality than the Variax 500 I had before.

I've been intrigued by these as well. My main question, and for some reason I've had a hard time quickly finding a definitive answer, is this: What, if any, of the features besides the regular mag pickups are useable with a wireless?

Last edited:
The virtual capo function is going to be a bit limited. I got to a capo 3 and the low E string got noticeably strange. It wouldn't have been bad in a full mix, but standing alone I wouldn't perform with it at capo 3. It doesn't sound like the have done a whole of improvement with pitch shift algorithms.

I've been intrigued by these as well. My main question, and for some reason I've had a hard time quickly finding a definitive answer, is this: What, if any, of the features besides the regular mag pickups are useable with a wireless?

If you go 1/4 out of the guitar, all the models and pitch shifting. just go 1/4 out to wireless in.

Back
Top Bottom