The new Dream Theater album.

Roadrunner

Power User
Any thoughts on DT new album ?
I've listened to it in my car this week, had a long drive so I thought it would be excellent to deeply dive into it.
After the first listening I was like, hmmm…boring a little….
Then listened again and on the 3rd round I just got so pissed.
I'm a big DT fan but I must say with all respect, this is not a progressive metal album, it’s a piece of commercial @#%$#!
Big disappointing here.

I listened to the songs on the streaming link. A lot of riffs and stuff but it did not stir any "wow"s in me. I was disappointed. It may grow on me but I know what you are saying.

I also found it quite boring and samey. Nothing new or exciting, just rolling out the same tried and trusted stuff. Technically proficient but lacking soul. And I really wanted to like it.

This was my first DT album, and I must say I like it a lot. I then bought A Dramatic Turn of Events and listened to it once so far. I don't like the production on that one nearly as well as DT. I don't have a clue where they have been before this so I can't comment.

DT suffers from writing in the studio. They are incredibly talented musicians and can whip material together. I'm more a fan of a good song that comes from writing 20 demos and deciding which 10 songs to go into the studio to record (with a good producer)
They self produce, don't demo and for decades their albums have had a sameness quality of mediocre songmanship.

Doesn't matter, at the end of the day they tour - record - tour - record - repeat and fans eat it all up.

I listened to the new DT three times and just haven't wanted to listen to it again, it has moments but I think my taste in music is changing towards less complicated muscle memory intensive finger workouts in favor of good melody harmony and feel.

I listened to the songs on the streaming link. A lot of riffs and stuff but it did not stir any "wow"s in me. I was disappointed. It may grow on me but I know what you are saying.

+1. I've been a huge Fan of Images & Words, Awake (my fave) Change of Seasons and Six Degrees.... The sound of their new album is pretty massive, although some of the Synth-Sounds are really crappy/cheesy as hell and some of their melodies are stolen
from classical themes (Tschaikovsky) or from their own records....

But it's cool, that there are so many different opinions about the new album....

I have all of their albums and like everything from up to SFAM. After that I got a little bored especially when Portnoy wanted to be a metal band. It wasn't happening for me. The new albums sounds like they got back to their roots.

I feel differently to most of you guys. I really liked this album a lot. It feels like they've got that spark of inspiration again to me.

I bought ADToE and listened to it maybe 3 or 4 times. Self titled had already had over ten.

Yes i cant understand how they manage to play this stuff live. So many of the fast passages in the songs sound the same as other songs. They must be robots

Lacked soul...
If anything this album had some of the most melodic passages and its a shame how people discard Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence,that album was the benchmark for Dream Theater.
This album has been really impressive since Six Degrees and definitely had plenty of melody. Petrucci used his old school of approach of constructing solos instead of just going in crazy shred mode.

Back
Top Bottom