The Most Incredible Electric Guitar Sound That I have Ever Heard!

The clean interlude before the Breaking All Illusions solo (you can hear it in the OP's second clip) and the clean solo after the first verse of This Is the Life are the Axe.

I think most of that tone is the Crunchlab and Liquifire pup's. I bought a set of these recently and that's the sound but it's Johns playing that really brings them alive, because on their own they are not a very lively pickup.

I watched an in-depth interview with John's tech and his chain is like this:

guitar>dunlop rack wah>pedalboard, which includes>distortion pedal of the day>phaser>flanger>compressor>Mesa Boogie Mark V head>AXE FX II for further effects>TWIN MARK V HEADS>TWIN 4x12 SPEAKER CABS mic'd with SM57s and condensers.

Not condensers. The new Shure Ribbon mics.

that's what he says, leads on Mark V in Mark IV mode.

Nope. Here ya go...

DREAM THEATER Guitarist Talks Gear In New Video Interview

From the interview: "Well, just to go back for one second about the lead sound and the rhythm sound, just to show the versatility of that amp. The rhythm sound is the Mark IV of that amp. And the lead sound is the Mark IIc+ mode of that amp in triode setting with the tubes."

That being said, I've been able to get closer to the sound using the IV (USA LEAD) in the Axe II instead of the IIC+.

To my ears, that tone's got Mesa Boogie written all over it. I know Petrucci's been using their Mark V amp. Pretty sure you can get that tone with your AxeFx with little difficulty.

Nope. Here ya go...

DREAM THEATER Guitarist Talks Gear In New Video Interview

From the interview: "Well, just to go back for one second about the lead sound and the rhythm sound, just to show the versatility of that amp. The rhythm sound is the Mark IV of that amp. And the lead sound is the Mark IIc+ mode of that amp in triode setting with the tubes."

That being said, I've been able to get closer to the sound using the IV (USA LEAD) in the Axe II instead of the IIC+.

Thank you ccroyalsenders, I totally missed this article when I was doing my research on this! I can't believe I missed this...Lol Well that answers the main question I had, that liquid, airy, spacey, delay sound that we hear in both of those clips is definitely from the Axe-fx. I knew when I heard that sound that that was something completely different and new and something that I had never heard him ever achieve before! Just to harp on this a little bit, Im completely blown away by this delayed sound effect! I have never heard any sound effect of this quality in my life! This really is a breakthrough in professional audio technology as a whole! I did some research on this machine and company and when compare to the Eventide H8000FW it shows to be 120,ooo times faster and more powerful in the specs, wow!!! Just stop and think about that for a minute.....120,000 times more powerful and faster than the flagship effects processor from Eventide...I mean that is in a whole another Universe of effects processing. Axe-FX is right, there really hasn't ever been anything to come close to this.

My next question however, is what effect preset/setting would this be in the Axe-FX?
What is this sound exactly made up of?

Breaking All Illusions solo: dual delay, quarter note left, dotted quarter note right, little or no feedback, maybe some high cut. Probably not Axe-FX, more likely a DAW plugin. AFAIK he always records leads dry; adding/adjusting delay is part of the mixing process.

Breaking All Illusions solo: dual delay, quarter note left, dotted quarter note right, little or no feedback, maybe some high cut. Probably not Axe-FX, more likely a DAW plugin. AFAIK he always records leads dry; adding/adjusting delay is part of the mixing process.

Ok Bakerman, Im all ears! How do you know this?
Breaking All Illusions solo: dual delay, quarter note left, dotted quarter note right, little or no feedback, maybe some high cut.

Why do you think it's a plugin?

Probably not Axe-FX, more likely a DAW plugin.AFAIK he always records leads dry; adding/adjusting delay is part of the mixing process.
My question to this is have you watched this clip:[video]http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/virgildonatidream.html[/video]

Can you provide some further explanation of this?
Breaking All Illusions solo: dual delay, quarter note left, dotted quarter note right, little or no feedback, maybe some high cut."

Thanks!:)

Settings determined by listening to it: One quarter note (~460 ms) repeat in left channel, one dotted quarter note (~690 ms) repeat in right channel.

He doesn't record leads with delay on the sound leaving the cab. Plugins would be the simplest way to do certain tricks that show up here and there (like turning level/feedback up on last note of something) while keeping the option to adjust settings later.

I've seen that clip, might be a rig with an Ultra there.

Settings determined by listening to it: One quarter note (~460 ms) repeat in left channel, one dotted quarter note (~690 ms) repeat in right channel.

That's fascinating! How can you pinpoint how much delay is on the left and right channel? What is the difference in terminology between "one quarter note" and "one dotted quarter note"?

He doesn't record leads with delay on the sound leaving the cab. Plugins would be the simplest way to do certain tricks that show up here and there (like turning level/feedback up on last note of something) while keeping the option to adjust settings later.I've seen that clip, might be a rig with an Ultra there.

How do you know that he doesn't record leads with delay on the sound leaving the cab? This was what I was getting at when I asked you in the previous post did you see that clip, because when you watch that video it looks very apparent that John is getting that sound as he's playing live. In fact you can see his rig and the Ultra in it next to Virgil's Drum Set as they're all jamming together. So where does this put things?

A quarter note delay is probably the easiest and most used delay time. A dotted quarter note is quarter note + 50%. Or you can think of it as 1/4 + 1/8.

Also, this video was live in the rehearsal studio. In the studio recording an album JP has no FX (delay or verb) coming from his cab. The FX you hear on a DT album were added in the mix.

That's fascinating! How can you pinpoint how much delay is on the left and right channel? What is the difference in terminology between "one quarter note" and "one dotted quarter note"?

How do you know that he doesn't record leads with delay on the sound leaving the cab? This was what I was getting at when I asked you in the previous post did you see that clip, because when you watch that video it looks very apparent that John is getting that sound as he's playing live. In fact you can see his rig and the Ultra in it next to Virgil's Drum Set as they're all jamming together. So where does this put things?

Perhaps it should be said that Bakerman is one of the two people who transcribe Petrucci's parts for the official songbook.
So (from what I know) they are in touch with JP, can ask him if needed and have the stems (= solo'd tracks from the recording) for investigation.

Reactions: yek
A quarter note delay is probably the easiest and most used delay time. A dotted quarter note is quarter note + 50%. Or you can think of it as 1/4 + 1/8.
Thank you for explaining that to me!:) Where does the word dotted originate from? Is this a term used by Axe-Fx or is this general terminology when speaking in depth about delay?

Also, this video was live in the rehearsal studio.
Right. Good point! So this sound that I am referring to in this thread is not a plugin? Can we all establish that?

In the studio recording an album JP has no FX (delay or verb) coming from his cab. The FX you hear on a DT album were added in the mix.
But that's exactly what I was asking Bakerman, how do know that In the studio recording an album JP has no Fx(delay or verb) coming from his cab? Because I can tell you that I have the falling into infinity recording demos and there are tracks on that disc where you can hear John playing with effects as he lays down the tracks. You can also hear him ask the engineer in one of the demos if he can put more or a different type of reverb on the sound as he's laying down the track for the album. So in another words, if the sound effect going to tape is integral to the sound how could he record it dry? Help me understand this!:)

Back
Top Bottom