The Mesa Mark series EQ once again...

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
So I was thinking of a way to put the Axe-Fx PEQ between the preamp and the power amp and I think I found the next best thing. I ran a patch like this:

AMP1 + PEQ + AMP2 + CAB and the AMP1 was USA LEAD 1 with SAG at 0 so the power amp is off (why does the master control still work?!) anyways... Then I had the V shape EQ and the AMP2 was the Tube Pre with everything flat. Then I changed the tonestack to USA LEAD and matched the depth and sag with the USA Lead 1 settings. (master at 2.99)

This way the PEQ reacted a lot more like the original GEQ in the Mark IV I used to own. Now I know this is not the exact same thing as having the PEQ between the preamp and power amp but it seemed to work.

Then I compared it to a basic AMP + PEQ + CAB version of the Mark IV patch and the tone was pretty much the same. Maybe the AMP+PEQ+CAB version was a tad brighter in a bad way but this could easily be fixed with a light EQ. The main difference however was that the two amp block version had better feel. I remember loving the Mark IV because I got a huge confidence boost since the amp had an amazing feel and I kinda think this takes me back to that feeling.

Please try this out and let me know how it works for you guys.

Intersesting idea, may have to give it a try.

Clark Kent said:
....SAG at 0 so the power amp is off (why does the master control still work?!).

When SAG is at 0, the Master control becomes a simple level control (RTFM ;) ).

Hi

Would you mind to post here or on the patch page a patch

Still i dont get wether you do this in the same chain(line) or in a second one(stereo)

Roalnd

Just one line like this: ----AMP---PEQ---AMP---CAB----

This allows you to use the PEQ a bit more without making the tone sound weird. You can scoop the mids to -10dB and it won't sound too scooped. But it does get a bit more whoompy as did the real Mark IV...

I'm not saying that this is better than just using one amp and one peq and I can't pick which one is better. Both can be tweaked to sound the same. Feel is where it's different and I like the one amp version feel too. So try it out so you can make the choice yourself.

Clark Kent said:
So I was thinking of a way to put the Axe-Fx PEQ between the preamp and the power amp and I think I found the next best thing. I ran a patch like this:
Perhaps you saw this: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19550&p=177008#p177008. There are many things you could put between Amp 1 and Amp 2, including a GEQ or compressor (or MBC if you have an Ultra).

Now I know this is not the exact same thing as having the PEQ between the preamp and power amp but it seemed to work.
You can get it awfully close. You want to minimize the effect of the preamp in Amp 2. To do this, set the Amp 2 Bright to off, MV to a high value, and find a neutral setting for the tone controls in Amp 2. Then use Drive in Amp 2 for your MV.

The amp types you choose for this arrangement will make a huge difference, as will quite a few parameter settings. There's easily enough flexibility to allow you to create any sound the Mesa can make, and a lot more that it can't.

shredi knight said:
Intersesting idea, may have to give it a try.

[quote="Clark Kent":5hp46h9h]....SAG at 0 so the power amp is off (why does the master control still work?!).

When SAG is at 0, the Master control becomes a simple level control (RTFM ;) ).[/quote:5hp46h9h]

To expand on that:
With the power amp sims off the depth controls are deactivated. The master works as a volume and the presence turns into a shelving filter.

This would be easier if we could disable the preamps, and yes I know it can't be done. But it would be nice to have a couple of generic amp models where, at the default settings, the preamp is completely transparent. Then you could use it as a power amp only model without risk of anyone cracking the code.

Jay Mitchell said:
Clark Kent":141mwv02]So I was thinking of a way to put the Axe-Fx PEQ between the preamp and the power amp and I think I found the next best thing. I ran a patch like this:[/quote]Perhaps you saw this: [url="http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19550&p=177008#p177008 said:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19550&p=177008#p177008[/url]. There are many things you could put between Amp 1 and Amp 2, including a GEQ or compressor (or MBC if you have an Ultra).

Now I know this is not the exact same thing as having the PEQ between the preamp and power amp but it seemed to work.
You can get it awfully close. You want to minimize the effect of the preamp in Amp 2. To do this, set the Amp 2 Bright to off, MV to a high value, and find a neutral setting for the tone controls in Amp 2. Then use Drive in Amp 2 for your MV.

The amp types you choose for this arrangement will make a huge difference, as will quite a few parameter settings. There's easily enough flexibility to allow you to create any sound the Mesa can make, and a lot more that it can't.[/quote:141mwv02]

Hi Jay:

What are your thoughts on why the Axe is designed with pre-amp / power amp combined into one block. I guess dividing these two out could create an overwhelming amount of permutations/combinations of models but would it not be a logical next step in Axe evolution to separate the pre-amp / power amp into two separation blocks allowing insertion of other blocks in between (as with most amps with effects loops). This is almost accomplished with the above described work around but that pre-amp #2 does get in the way a bit.

Actually - A "Pre-Amp On-off" switch would do the trick - then Amp2 would be power amp only. Wonder if this is in the wish list?

If it were that easy I think Cliff would have done it already. He's weighed in before regarding the nature of the programming precluding "inserting" the GEQ into the boogie models.

There's the real feel. I had thought about doing this because it made sense, but I never had until I saw this thread. I had avoided the mark sounds (that I sold to get the axe) because others just felt better. I'll go the distance and say that this is the only way to employ the graphic boogie sound from now on.

THIS SHOULD BE IN THE WIKI

Back
Top Bottom