The Larry Carlton challenge

Mats N

Inspired
Hi,

With this last 10.01 upgrade I have now heard every sound I feel I need from the Axe-Fx except one.

I like to play smooth jazz and my one of my favorite sounds is the clean sound of Larry Carlton. This is best heard in the tune Terry T.

If someone could pick up a 335 style guitar and find this sound and post a clip in this thread I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Yes, I was actually thinking of Paco and Xavi when I posted as they have both shown an enormous talent for this style but so far only with OD sounds.

Cheers,

Mats N

Mats N said:
Hi,

With this last 10.01 upgrade I have now heard every sound I feel I need from the Axe-Fx except one.

I like to play smooth jazz and my one of my favorite sounds is the clean sound of Larry Carlton. This is best heard in the tune Terry T.

If someone could pick up a 335 style guitar and find this sound and post a clip in this thread I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Mats N
Double Verb with cranked master and drive around 4. Bass at 3 and blackface tonestack.
Spring reverb.
1x12 Studio cab with no mic.
Filter block with peaking at 12khz, q at 1.3 and gain at 7.

That should get you in the ballpark.

DieSchmalle said:
Double Verb with cranked master and drive around 4. Bass at 3 and blackface tonestack.
Spring reverb.
1x12 Studio cab with no mic.
Filter block with peaking at 12khz, q at 1.3 and gain at 7.

That should get you in the ballpark.

Hi DS,

Thanks for the settings. Unfortunately I don't yet own an Axe-Fx so I can't try it out. Would it be possible for you to post a clip with above?

Also what speaker sim and mic do you recommend for this?

Cheers,

Mats N

Maybe I'll try it some of these days, but it's really hard to imitate Carlton, no matter if you have his exact rig, because the "sound is in the fingers" phrase is 100% true in Carlton.

Anyway , I remember some instructional video where he says that, no matter what kind of amp he is using, he always sets it up to a point that is clean when you play soft and cranks when you play hard. No guitar volume playing at all, only fingers hitting at very different levels.

Take a look at his performances of "It was only yesterday", amazing tone range and dynamics only using his fingers.

Maybe I'll try with "Room 335", stay tuned....

I am curious-You don't own an AxeFX but want to see if this certain sound can be found by someone else and then you'll buy one? If so, that's kind of crazy. As stated above-LC's sound is mainly in the way he plays. Their are so many different things "you" could do becuase this is in your head. Buy one and have at it. You'll find what you want, especially since what your asking is in in the Axe and mainly contributed to by your fingers.

Stratman68 said:
I am curious-You don't own an AxeFX but want to see if this certain sound can be found by someone else and then you'll buy one? If so, that's kind of crazy. As stated above-LC's sound is mainly in the way he plays. Their are so many different things "you" could do becuase this is in your head. Buy one and have at it. You'll find what you want, especially since what your asking is in in the Axe and mainly contributed to by your fingers.

Hi Stratman,

I agree with you that it may seem kind of crazy but it's like this. Over the years I've become quite good at finding out from sound clips and demos if a product is for me or not. Not only by listening to a specific sound but also how that sound reacts to the player's touch and nuances. As some products can't be found in Sweden (like the Axe-Fx) this ability is quite handy sometimes. This may be hard for anyone to get.

But essentially, yes, if I heard a sound like I'm looking for played with a lot of dynamics then I may take the risk and order an Axe-Fx from Germany.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi Mats,
Not sure about G66 in Europe, but here there is an unconditional 15 days return policy, no questions asked. Gives you a good week to search for your sound.
I have no doubt that Larry Calrton could take the Ultra and own it-period! Then I guess you would want an ultra. I mean, He's Larry Carlton-I wish you luck in your quest Mats.
Maybe check on the return policy?
regards
Frank

Mats
I tried real quick what DieSchmalle suggested-Well, didn't have time to pull out my Les Paul so I ued my Strat Deluxe. The only thing missing was Larry's fingers and brain. I also went and downloaded the MP3 from Amazon-One of LC tunes I don't have. Did you listen to SoCal Driving on the demo page like I suggested? Sorry Mats, but the only thing special about that sound is LC-period.
Regards
Frank

Stratman68 said:
I have no doubt that Larry Calrton could take the Ultra and own it-period! Then I guess you would want an ultra. I mean, He's Larry Carlton-I wish you luck in your quest Mats.

Frank

Hi Frank,

English is not my native language so I may not have made myself quite clear.

I do not want to sound like Larry C because I know I can't play like him and it would be ridiculous to even try. But I have found that a clean dynamic sound like the one Larry C sometimes uses is an excellent platform for me to play like me. I find that the roundness of tone and the touch dynamics of that particular sound inspires me to play more and write more songs.

There are also other sounds I like. The Mike Landau studio tones from the 80's with lush Tri Stereo Chorus (Quad Corus?) and the dynamic break-up from Robben Ford. Those sounds have been amply demonstrated by players here at this forum with great skill and I have no doubt that I can make those sounds work for me in my own musical context.

Hope this makes my goals clearer.

Cheers,

Mats N

Cheers,

Mats N

Mats, believe me, the Axe-FX is perfect for you. It does the dynamics thing just fine.

Great work on the backing tracks.

Mats, I have just read this topic, I don't like to copy other guitarist's sounds, though of course the sounds we like to hear reflect in our own sound. The best thing about the Axe is you can really get very close to the sound you have in your mind, closer than with any other tool, in my opinion. I have made some recordings that some people (Cliff among others) said that reminded them of Larry Carlton. Well, that wasn't my intention, but having listened for many years to Larry, his influence can be obviously heard on my music. I think, as others have said before, 99% of Larry's (or any other musician's) sound is on his fingers and on his head. What I can tell you is, the Axe can give you that 1% you need to get his sound. I think the Axe is just what you need. Well, and Larry's fingers. :D

Hi,

I obviously have a problem with my written communications skills i English.

I do NOT want to sound like Larry, although like Xavi his influence on my shows up in my playing as well as other players like Lukather and Santana. It is not my intention to sound like these guys. I just need quite a few sounds to cover all the styles I'm interested in. The Carlton clean sound is just one of many of those sounds. I could have written "a good warm clean sound with lots of headroom with fat mids and silky highs with amp like response to player's dynamic touch". What happens then is that usually people ask you for an example so in this case I thought I would give the example. Maybe the title misled? Who knows.

So does any body have a clip with a good warm clean sound with lots of headroom with fat mids and silky highs with amp like response to player's dynamic touch? ;)

I need this so I can sound like me with my fingers. :lol:

Cheers,

Mats N

Mats N said:
Hi,

I obviously have a problem with my written communications skills i English.

I do NOT want to sound like Larry, although like Xavi his influence on my shows up in my playing as well as other players like Lukather and Santana. It is not my intention to sound like these guys. I just need quite a few sounds to cover all the styles I'm interested in. The Carlton clean sound is just one of many of those sounds. I could have written "a good warm clean sound with lots of headroom with fat mids and silky highs with amp like response to player's dynamic touch". What happens then is that usually people ask you for an example so in this case I thought I would give the example. Maybe the title misled? Who knows.

So does any body have a clip with a good warm clean sound with lots of headroom with fat mids and silky highs with amp like response to player's dynamic touch? ;)

I need this so I can sound like me with my fingers. :lol:

Cheers,

Mats N

Mats-We ALL understand perfectly what you mean. How would one post a clip that will let you "feel" the dynamics of the amp? One more time, the sound you are talking about is "simple" with the axe. Not much more anyone can say.
Good luck
Frank

Hey Mats!

I stumbled upon my favourite carlton songs and started playing around with the Axe. Still having trouble finding the type of sound?
If so, let me know, I might have a few tips.

Should anyone else be interested I feel I came extremely close to his warm OD sound just using the SPEC OD1 and 2 preamps. For the cab I used a boutique 2x12 :)
Adding a barely noticeble chorus and some delay really does the trick.
BTW are you from sweden?

Cheers

calleballe11 said:
Hey Mats!

I stumbled upon my favourite carlton songs and started playing around with the Axe. Still having trouble finding the type of sound?
If so, let me know, I might have a few tips.

Should anyone else be interested I feel I came extremely close to his warm OD sound just using the SPEC OD1 and 2 preamps. For the cab I used a boutique 2x12 :)
Adding a barely noticeble chorus and some delay really does the trick.
BTW are you from sweden?

Cheers

Hi,

The sound I'm wondering about is Carlton clean sound. I already have a handle on his OD.

And yes, I'm from Sweden. From your somewhat x-rated nick I assume you are as well. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

Cool! Yeah I meant using that preamp for his clean sound. Have you tried it?
Experimenting with the Master/Level knobs on that preamp will be the key I think :)
I don't know if i mentioned but aside from that I used pretty heavy eq to boost mids and short spring reverb!

Let me know how it works out!

Back
Top Bottom