The joys of sidechaining

Atmospheric

Inspired
Lately I find myself sidechaining most comp and drive blocks. OK, poor man's sidechaining... I use the mix setting. But nonetheless the results can be really musical. Also another thing the FX8 does really well that would be very difficult to pull off with an analog board. Just saying.

That's all we did in the 80s with the big racks wet dry wet always love having a dry signal blast and through with the effects coming up on each side love it

That’s not sidechaining. It’s parallel processing which is wonderful, and that’s why the mix knob on the Comp and Drive blocks is so powerful.

Sidechaining is triggering a dynamics processor from a signal different than the signal being processed. Popular example: sidechain compressing synth pads to the kick drum. Or ducking background music to a speech mic. Or compressing an entire mix from a sidechained copy of itself with a highpass filter, so the low energy doesn’t affect the compressor’s input.

The studio comp has a real sidechain where you can set a specific row as the sidechain input.

Back
Top Bottom