AFIII The John Petrucci IR Collection: Vol. 1

This is a forum and this is not a troll comment. I am not hearing one thing that cannot be achieved on the current AXE FX 3. CC playing is always great. Look at his previous videos. Do they sound markedly different? No. Will we now add this to the 1000s of IRs we now have as well as the unlimited options on the Dyna Cabs?

Last edited:
This is a forum and this is not a troll comment. I am not hearing one thing that cannot be achieved on the current AXE FX 3. CC playing is always great. Look at his previous videos. Do they sound markedly different? No. Will we now add this to the 1000s of IRs we now have as well as the unlimited options on the Dyna Cabs?
That's certainly what I was thinking. This seems like Mr. Petrucci is like a million years late to the IR party.

These are obviously for Petrucci fans or open-minded players that admire his personal tones and would like to use them for themselves. No more, no less.

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Perhaps someone with too much time on their hands can attempt to replicate them using the existing Dyna Cabs. 👍🏻

Not sure how many IRs there are in total, but I'm guessing not too many. $79.99 seemed like a lot (to me), considering how you can get multiple cab packs from TwoNotes or OwnHammer for around the same amount of cash.

Tones were excellent though, I am not familiar with Cooper Carter.

Not sure how many IRs there are in total, but I'm guessing not too many. $79.99 seemed like a lot (to me), considering how you can get multiple cab packs from TwoNotes or OwnHammer for around the same amount of cash.

Tones were excellent though, I am not familiar with Cooper Carter.

Right, so Cooper Carter has been creating JP sounds for years plus he's a great player and teaches EVERYTHING about the Axe FX in an online course including making presets. I may need to go back and listen again in more detail to the new IR Collection, but my first impression was that he's already had these JP tones completely nailed in Axe Presets...and he's given you get those for free. Like I said, that's just my knee-jerk so far.

The JP IRs are the full signal path starting at the cab, including some polishing EQ at the end of the chain vs just a raw capture, but that may just be with the blends. So I think there's some added value there but depends on preference. I'm a JP fan though so of course I'm gonna buy it even if I basically already have the tone. :D

I understand a bit of pushback on the price, but a bit surprised to see so much pushback on the product. I bought it because I’m a fan, love his tonal ear, and enjoy playing his tunes. I’ve only had a bit of time with the IRs, but I dropped them into CC’s preset and felt like there was a curtain lifted from my monitors. Granted, I didn’t do any level setting or blind testing, but I’m very happy with the sounds I’m getting. I feel they’ve got a punchier sound in my ear and are more responsive to harmonics. I’m happy and look forward to Vol. 2, especially if we can go back to some of his legacy tones.

I understand a bit of pushback on the price, but a bit surprised to see so much pushback on the product. I bought it because I’m a fan, love his tonal ear, and enjoy playing his tunes. I’ve only had a bit of time with the IRs, but I dropped them into CC’s preset and felt like there was a curtain lifted from my monitors. Granted, I didn’t do any level setting or blind testing, but I’m very happy with the sounds I’m getting. I feel they’ve got a punchier sound in my ear and are more responsive to harmonics. I’m happy and look forward to Vol. 2, especially if we can go back to some of his legacy tones.
The price really isn’t all that bad considering you’re basically getting access to John’s personal recorded tones. What’s a concert T-shirt cost these days? For fans of his music, that fills a specific niche for guitarists, while also supporting him directly as an artist. I view that as a win-win.

I didn't watch all JP's videos, but in a short one where he compares the original sound and the sound with a DI track, an amp and one of his IRs, one thing isn't clear : were the IRs captured during the recording sessions ? Or is it a tonematch thing ?
Also, I'm wondering how different this is from the cab part of his NDSP plugin. That one uses unusual mics, which can be disconcerting

I didn't watch all JP's videos, but in a short one where he compares the original sound and the sound with a DI track, an amp and one of his IRs, one thing isn't clear : were the IRs captured during the recording sessions ? Or is it a tonematch thing ?
Also, I'm wondering how different this is from the cab part of his NDSP plugin. That one uses unusual mics, which can be disconcerting
the virtual cab in the neural plug will get you almost identical tones, I already did this loading one of the individual mics in one side and matching the tone with the same mic from the virtual neural cab. I will say this, if you could export the virtual neural cab into a iR you would get those of the Jp mission 1

My understanding is they short the IRs while the cabs were mic’d up during the recording of these 3 albums.

Too overpriced to me as a Petrucci fan too... Or you say you re paying the name ( and there is nothing wrong if you want that as a fan) or you re saying that these irs are a game changer next to the other vendors (York audio for example) that are sell at 1/5 of the price.

I have no issue with the price whatsoever. If fans like it and want to buy it, cool. I love DT and LTE and JP is one of my favorite guitarists. That said, I think I like Cooper Carter's 2023 JP Rig preset well enough to not care.

Now...you get James Hetfield to create IR packs like this...here, take my money. I can't get that out of existing presets, albeit a few on axechange come close.

And then we can hear people talk about why you'd spend hundreds of dollars (probably considering Metallica) when you can already nail the tone with the thousands of IRs already available. :D

To be fair, I think someone of Petrucci’s caliber should be able to charge a premium for products with his name on them. He seems to be everywhere these days in that regard.
Did you check the price of Archetype : Petrucci ?

Back
Top Bottom