• Yes

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

loochezar

It seems to me that thin strings have less gain than thick strings in contrast to the real power and it's a big problem of the AX8 and the Ax FX for me. I use lead channel 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings sound like crunch channel or breakup clean, if I add gain 4th, 5th and 6th strings have too much distortion.

Last edited:
I don’t agree.

However, if you are not playing the Axe-FX/AX8 through a speaker at high volume that vibrates your guitar strings then you won’t get as much sustain or feedback.

While I would agree that there is an adaptation process when transitioning from a real amp to an AX8 that revolves around how the player hears the amp while playing it. I really have no idea what the o.p. is referring to in this case.

But trust me, I've had some very frustrating moments in my AX8 learning curve over the past few months. I just continue to dial it in and understand it more.

Are you playing through monitors? or loud through an Atomic CLR? Are you going for a Periphery-style noise gated metal gain? or searching for Robben Ford's tone?

Hard to say what you are experiencing. You might add some details. It does take some work to dial in the tone you want, but you should be able to find it.

To the OP's original question...I have often thought the same thing because I figure a larger diameter string will have more interaction with the magnetic field of the pickup generating more signal? Is that not correct? I'm not an electrical engineer but it seems logical. I'm teachable if that's wrong thinking. Just show me.

I own and AX-8 and the amp models behave just like real amps. It's down right spooky.

Where I've run into issues is changing guitars. My #1 is an Xotic XS-1 loaded with Joe Barden S Deluxe pup's. I have a Harmonic Design Z-90's in my Les Paul. When I switch to that guitar all my presets go out the window because the pickups drive the amp into over drive. Right now I'm just building presets for each instrument.

To the OP's original question...I have often thought the same thing because I figure a larger diameter string will have more interaction with the magnetic field of the pickup generating more signal? Is that not correct? I'm not an electrical engineer but it seems logical. I'm teachable if that's wrong thinking. Just show me.

I own and AX-8 and the amp models behave just like real amps. It's down right spooky.

Where I've run into issues is changing guitars. My #1 is an Xotic XS-1 loaded with Joe Barden S Deluxe pup's. I have a Harmonic Design Z-90's in my Les Paul. When I switch to that guitar all my presets go out the window because the pickups drive the amp into over drive. Right now I'm just building presets for each instrument.
that makes sense though because i'm sure the P90's are much higher output than the singles in your xotic.

i think what the OP is referring to is IM distortion that's been discussed a bit around here. I don't think it's as drastic as what he's describing but I have noticed at times that chord/rhythm stuff will feel properly driven then single note stuff feels to have a little less gain. and it's not because i've played bad amps, i've had great amps. Have a Matchless HC30 sitting right beside my Axe.

I don't think this isn't a modeling vs real amp issue. What you're referring to is about the over all concept that drives a lot of people to use heavier strings.

This conversation easily morphs into the, "Does the kind of wood in a solid body guitar effect tone?" kind of discussion that pervades other forums, not this one because it's off topic. But you'll find lots of people who say string gage is more about feel than tone - right up to the point where they say it makes no difference in tone, only feel. Others will go down swinging over the idea that it does change tone.

IMO, string gage is up to the personal preference of the player. I even use different gages on a couple of my guitars because I like the feel better.

But I've experienced nothing with my AX8 that would tell me it responds differently to string gage than any real amp would.

I haven't experienced that. Can you hear any difference in gain between these two clips?

Yes, thicker strings sound louder/fuller, all things people equal. That doesn't have anything to do with the AX8

Put a 0.38 gauge on as your Low E and then put a 0.56 on, which one gives more thick "chug" on a palm mute ?

This is also why most players have pickups closer to the strings on the treble side, smaller gauge strings.

This is all and all basic common sense. It's like saying if I pick the strings harder to gets louder and more distorted, well it's supposed to

If your finding this with the ax8, but not your amp, then the amp is the issue, maybe it has zero dynamics and it horribly compressed.

Real amps, and the accurate model of the ax8, are supposed to do just what your hearing.

If you feel the balance is wrong, change your gauges and/or adjust your pickup height

The key to dealing with this is 'Pre-EQ'. Either the 'Basic' 'Bass' and or 'Low Cut' controls (if they are set to 'Pre' for that model?), A 'Drive' block model that cuts some lows, or an EQ block before the Amp block. You can make up some low-end after the Amp if needed. Some amps have this 'bass cut' built into the circuit.

In general, the thicker strings have more energy. As gain is increased, they will 'distort' first and more than the thinner strings. Cutting some lows and boosting some mids before the Amp block can make the thinner string louder before hitting the Amp block, making them 'distort' in a more even manor.

The fundamental differences are the speaker resonance must be set manually and so are the input and amp gain level in the global setup. The amp section is not thin ; thinner single notes are a flaw of impulse responses. IRs just give a global image of the cab and room resonances, so the thiner the note the more it is audibly not tailored to that specific note. It's audible in the low end of the low notes, and the mids of the high notes.

For me, the "fundamental difference" is that the AX8 provides an exponentially greater tonal palette with which to create. But that's just me; others will have a different perspective.

I don't think this isn't a modeling vs real amp issue. What you're referring to is about the over all concept that drives a lot of people to use heavier strings.

This conversation easily morphs into the, "Does the kind of wood in a solid body guitar effect tone?" kind of discussion that pervades other forums, not this one because it's off topic. But you'll find lots of people who say string gage is more about feel than tone - right up to the point where they say it makes no difference in tone, only feel. Others will go down swinging over the idea that it does change tone.

IMO, string gage is up to the personal preference of the player. I even use different gages on a couple of my guitars because I like the feel better.

But I've experienced nothing with my AX8 that would tell me it responds differently to string gage than any real amp would.

Maybe I don't understand the question. I thought the OP was complaining that the larger diameter strings were causing too much distortion and he concluded that it was the strings doing it. I agree with you string size is completely personal.

OP all you need to do is find the strings you like and then dial the input gain down. Input gain on 1 is like the normal input on a Fender and 0.5 is like the low input. That will calm the OD down on the input signal.

Back
Top Bottom