The Frustration Sets In... Good stress though?

Save the cab block to your block library, label it. You can also use channels on the cab block, set up to 4 different IR combinations, and they all save to the library in that one block. Quite efficient really.

Sash,
I haven't received my 3 yet but would like to know your settings, as the be 100 deluxe is my main tone that i use.
Thanks in advance.
Dale
Of course I can send you some pictures of my settings 👍
But keep on mind that the result depends on what other equipment you are the Axe3 using with. FRFR, Headphones, Amp and Cab etc.

Cheers
Sash

The easy switch that I have found is using the Mikko IR plugin to self generate the perfect IR. It takes away the need to get in the weeds of post EQ or deep parameter editing. Am able to get that full punchy feel, with the perfect EQ balance. Yeah I am mixing 6+ mics on 3 or 4 cabs, but it is really simple after a ~30 minute learning period. IRs contribute nearly half of the tonal equation. And digging through arbitrary IR libraries just did not work well for me.

Of course I can send you some pictures of my settings 👍
But keep on mind that the result depends on what other equipment you are the Axe3 using with. FRFR, Headphones, Amp and Cab etc.

Cheers
Sash
I've been using fractals since the first one came out, current set up is axe 2 to in ears to front of house. line back with the rest of the monitor mix in.
what is your set up?

How exactly do you do that? And I’ve always stuck with the Legacy cabs. I need to quit my real job just to spend time with this thing. 😐

If you're using the Legacy cabs which are mixes (as opposed to individual mics) then you shouldn't need to mix and match. Also you might get some weird phasing issues if you're mixing and matching across different vendors.

The easy switch that I have found is using the Mikko IR plugin to self generate the perfect IR. It takes away the need to get in the weeds of post EQ or deep parameter editing. Am able to get that full punchy feel, with the perfect EQ balance. Yeah I am mixing 6+ mics on 3 or 4 cabs, but it is really simple after a ~30 minute learning period. IRs contribute nearly half of the tonal equation. And digging through arbitrary IR libraries just did not work well for me.
I haven’t heard of this but you’ve definitely caught my attention! Link or something to it possibly?

I haven’t heard of this but you’ve definitely caught my attention! Link or something to it possibly?
https://ml-sound-lab.com/products/mikko-free-install
https://ml-sound-lab.com/collections/plugins/products/mikko-full-license

Has a free demo with a Mesa cab with V30s to give it a try. Seems like you might like blending Greenbacks with V30s and a few mics, which you could do with the full license that is 50% off for the month of November. I finally bought a license on the 1st and am kicking myself for waiting this long.

Hi, I have been in your boat too. Years of buying gear in search of “the sound”. I work with the axe the same as you. Only presets and the effects under buttons available when I want them too. Initially I could not get the axe set to my liking I finally bit the bullet and bought matrix active speakers. Awesome. Still not there though. I bought quite a few packs and presets from various vendors. Some good, some not so good. All I can say is that the Fremen presets for me were plug and play. All I did here and there was add effects in the preset just because I want to. Of course not every preset was what I was looking for, but it really was overkill in enjoyment. Fat sounds and great effect settings. I also use them as an effects library. Of course I did my own work and built a lot of presets. Watching videos from Leon and others are very helpful. Some guys do this for a living though, so when you find someone who builds them to your taste you spend less time tweaking and more time playing.
Harm

It's perfectly fine to get frustrated. It's also good that you started this thread. That tells us that you want to make it work.
The fact that most of the time you love it is yet another good indication that you can get it to where you want it to be.
This is a great community where lots of people are willing to help and the responses on this thread prove that. So
when you are frustrated, you know that you have a great resource to draw from in this forum.
As far as having a middle ground tone that covers all of it, I would analyze the parameters for success that you have
determined for yourself. One middle ground tone may not necessarily exist in the way or form that you require, but
if you were to expand what you define as successful a bit, that could be very helpful. In general, when I think of those bands,
I think of hot rod Marshalls. So you can already eliminate quite a few amps. I would look into that tonal family, so anything in
the amp list Wiki that describes itself as a hot rod Marshall may be a candidate. The amp that immediately comes into mind for me
is the FAS Hot Rod. For everything else, I would see if I could find those bands' rigs and see what the common denominator is.
I hope this helps in some way.

I’ve used the DAS Metal amp for years but I think I’m going to ditch it for a Friedman model. I love Friedman amps and it seems to be more of what I’m looking to achieve sound wise. High gain Friedman patches that cut through the mix and hit you in the chest.... and go!

-When I had a my first amp - a free hand me down junker, I constantly tweaked the settings and struggled to get anything usable.
-When I upgraded to a solid state Marshall amp for $240, I constantly tweaked settings trying to get close to the sound I wanted.
-When I upgraded to a tube combo (Bogner Alchemist) I constantly tweaked settings to dial things in.

I was mostly happy there but versitility, weight, space, and volume issues were cons that prevented me from keeping the tube combo or buying a half stack. The fractal is a tone dream machine but that comes with a caveat. Dialing in good tone IS HARD. And sometimes you just need to play with a sound for a while until you get an ear for it. I spent the first few months with my AxeFX watching tons of Leon's videos and tweaking. I scoured Axe Exchange and tried all kinds of stuff.

For the past few months though, I can happily say I'm not really tweaking a lot of settings. I have a kitchen sync preset that has 8 scenes and they all make me smile for one reason or another. I can still tweak to my hearts content on all the other presets but when I want to just play I stick to my main preset. Let me just repeat that dialing in good tone is difficult. Even when you get something dialed in, our ears change day to day, and bringing the tone to a new speaker, or room changes things too. Best tip I have, but don't always follow (no rules here), is to pick your IR then dial in the amp.

I don’t own a III, but for the fm3 the @austinbuddy gold live pack just gave me a great collection of sounds almost ready to gig that I can choose from. Just minor tweaks and adding fx as needed and I don’t need to dig into deep edits with my fm3. I loved it before, but even more after the pack.
I was in the same place for a while. Oddly enough, I’ve built my own amps for years, and restored, set-up, etc my classic stuff. But the Fractal struck me as different.

I can absolutely support Leon’s and Cooper’s advice and schooling. What helped me the most, was actually diving into actual presets, both factory and notably AustinBuddy’s collection. These presets, Leon’s advice, and Cooper’s lesson did the trick.

But wait, there’s more!

Finally, one last piece of the puzzle. For a truly complicated preset, I commissioned Moke, another gifted guy, to recreate the sound of a classic artist with a truly complicated rig. He nailed it.

Diving into the variable details of what these guys do is super interesting. I would have never figured this out alone. The best guitar gear on the planet also has the most involved leader and team, and support-community of users. We’re super lucky.

Back
Top Bottom