The FM9 should send a Global Midi Clock Out

Rawad A Massih

Hi Everyone.

I recieved the Fm9 a while ago. Its great. My first experience with a digital modeler. I used my Mesa Mk5:25 for many years. I did my first concert with the Fm9 last week, i love it.

But the fact that it doesnt send a midi clock out was a big bummer.

I think everyone has fave pedals that will go along with any digital modeler. The Fm9 has excelent reverbs but i love my Bigsky, ive also got a Boss Sy200. I also have a polyphonic tuner, Morely Wah and a sustainer on the small pedalboard that complements the Fm9 live. Im planning to have a Boss Re202.

It makes a lot of sense that the Fm3 and AxeFx ,as a small pedalboard and a rack, that they dont send midi clock out, because they are units that are designed to be controled by a another controller. But the Fm9 is nominated to be a main mastermind of any rig, it does make no sense at all to get a 9 switches foot controller and control it by another pedal, and it doesnt make any sense to me to buy a global midi clock unit and take a space on my complementary pedalboard when i have more than i need of switches on the Fm9.

This thread is just a call, a protest to Fractal to take this into consideration. And i guess a lot of fellows agree with me.
(Plus adding a polyphonic tuner on that big screen will be great.)

Cheers

Attachments

• 20220318_101335-01.jpeg
    20220318_101335-01.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
If I recall correctly, Cliff has stated elsewhere on the forum that he has already developed a polyphonic tuner algorithm but unfortunately can't implement it because another company (TC Electronic?) owns a patent on that technology and he would risk getting sued.

I agree that MIDI clock out would be a great feature. I don't know if that is feasible with the current iteration of the hardware.

If I recall correctly, Cliff has stated elsewhere on the forum that he has already developed a polyphonic tuner algorithm but unfortunately can't implement it because another company (TC Electronic?) owns a patent on that technology and he would risk getting sued.

I agree that MIDI clock out would be a great feature. I don't know if that is feasible with the current iteration of the hardware.
Oh that is good info man. I didnt know tc had rights to that. I have a hardwire poly pedal. its great. U know...removing weight and reducing cables is one of the main reasons to buy a modeler. (To me at least)

Absolutely Yes on the midi clock out. FWIW; I think it should have been a thing on III from the jump. If a piece is going to be the epicenter of your guitar rig; it needs to be able to control everything else downstream.

Last edited:
Absolutely Yes on the midi clock out. FWIW; I think it should have been a thing on III from the jump. If a piece is going to be the epicenter of your guitar rig; it needs to be able to control everything else downstream.
it needs to be able to control everything else downstream.
Exactly thats what i think

I know its not exactly what maybe wanted but the Tap Temp rate from the FM9 via CC# works for external units. But I would also agree that midi clock out + start/stop commands would be very useful.

I know its not exactly what maybe wanted but the Tap Temp rate from the FM9 via CC# works for external units. But I would also agree that midi clock out + start/stop commands would be very useful.
I'm not understanding this.

Can you elaborate?

You can assign the Tap Tempo function to a footswitch of the Fm9 to send out a midi cc#. lf that CC# can be received via the external unit and assigned to the tap tempo function of that unit, it should work. In my case, it was the boss RC-500.

You can assign the Tap Tempo function to a footswitch of the Fm9 to send out a midi cc#. lf that CC# can be received via the external unit and assigned to the tap tempo function of that unit, it should work. In my case, it was the boss RC-500.
The Tap Tempo function doesn’t send any CC.

Maybe you mean that you’ve assigned a switch to send a CC on tap that you then use to create a tap tempo for external devices?

That would be ok for the external devices but doesn't set the onboard tempo...

Unless there's something I'm completely unaware of?

The Tap Tempo function doesn’t send any CC.

Maybe you mean that you’ve assigned a switch to send a CC on tap that you then use to create a tap tempo for external devices?

That would be ok for the external devices but doesn't set the onboard tempo...

Unless there's something I'm completely unaware of?
Yes, that is what I meant. It is a control footswitch function of the FM9 and not directly a Tap Tempo function.

I would also benefit from being able to transmit a MIDI clock. FM9 is my centerpiece, and I'm using it with TC Helicon VoiceLive Touch 2. As I read in the manual, p.129, "FM9 does not transmit MIDI clock." my heart sank, and I didn't check it before I bought the voice processor.
It didn't occur to me that it would be unable to transmit tempo information.

Please, change it with the next update: manual p.129 "FM9 does not transmit MIDI clock."
Add this functionality. It sounds like a bit of code addition.

Thanks.

Hmm. Maybe if each block had a "MIDI" page where you could assign various controller types and triggers.

Drop down to select a trigger (activate, bypass, activate/bypass, channel A, etc.)
Drop-down to assign a message type
Drop-down(s) to select its parameter(s)

Idk. Just thinking out loud.

Hmm. Maybe if each block had a "MIDI" page where you could assign various controller types and triggers.

Drop down to select a trigger (activate, bypass, activate/bypass, channel A, etc.)

I think OP wants to trigger stuff external to the FM9 with a clock going out of FM9, not the other way around. Or are you suggesting that the blocks can send a MIDI trigger?

How does that apply to sending midi clock?

Last edited:
+1 just in case I didn’t already +1 this thread and all the other threads regarding it.
Midi clock transmit is sorely needed.

Back
Top Bottom