The final setup: Fractal, Matrix, Mesa

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
Getting the Matrix amp to go along with my II XL+ was a no-brainer. I'm exceptionally happy with it.

I went back and forth a bit between using a more traditional cab, an FRFR solution, or some Matrix NL12s. I started out with a pair of Yamaha HS7s. They sound great but lack that amp in the room feel. I'm still just a lower intermediate player and only play at home, biut I realized I missed the visceral feeling when playing through a fairly loud amp/cab.

Wanting that feeling back, I tried the NL12s. I liked them but they were...different. The volume was there, as was the sound quality. Their frequency response seems very wide. I tried them through a bunch of presets/amps on the Axe FX and thought they sounded fantastic with cab sims on...at least at low to medium volumes. At higher volumes I did hear a slight muddying of tone. With cab sims off their clarity really comes through. Still, they seemed to lack a little....something. Maybe a bit of warmth? As good as they sounded, it seemed they were a little cold or sterile. I could probably have fixed this via tweaking but wasn't sure where to start and am trying to do a lot less tweaking and more practicing. I decided to try a more traditional cab.

I'd been looking at Mesa cabs a lot and grabbed a 2x12 rectifier cab. As soon as I plugged it in I was thinking, "there it is!" It seemed nice and warm and lush with cleans on neck pickups, and clean and tight with higher gain stuff. Cabs are, of course, off in this case. It sounds pretty muddy with cab sims on, even at low volumes. But that's fine, I don't mind running with cab IRs off--makes it feel like I'm playing through a more traditional head/cab setup, only I have a ton of heads to choose from. Also, no IRs means even less tweaking. I dunno. Maybe I just like V30s.

I just ordered a 4U rack case from Stagecraft Gear. That'll give me even a little more of the head/cab feel.

Anyway, this is an amazing sounding setup for my current needs. Next I need to come up with a pedal board for my MFC-101 and pair of EV-1s.

Thank you very much to this community for all the amazing information. You guys rock.

That's the eventual setup I want, so you have good taste!

I'm currently using a PA speaker that I pulled the tweeter out of, sealed the holes, and put a Mesa V30 in, so I guess its like a powered 1x12 guitar cab, so I'm half way there!

Impulses are great for recording, but when I play guitar I really like to just keep it simple. There are enough choices when it comes to amps, last thing I need is hundreds of impulses to sort through.

Nice to hear you made the order on the Stage Craft head shell. Mine took a while to arrive, but was well worth the wait! I know it's stupid, but it helps me not regret ditching some nice tube amps to get to where I am now.

Nice to hear you made the order on the Stage Craft head shell. Mine took a while to arrive, but was well worth the wait! I know it's stupid, but it helps me not regret ditching some nice tube amps to get to where I am now.

Yes it was thanks to your post that I went with them, so thank you! They are all made to order apparently so it says 4 weeks. That's a little tough for me because I'm a bit impatient but I think I'll make it. Haha. And I am also a touch OCD so I like things to be kind of tidy. And having the Axe and Matrix in a single unit will definitely give me somewhat of that amp head feel.

Back
Top Bottom