The Edge on Monday Night Football pre-game show

Really great to hear that performance tonight before the Monday Night Football game. The Edge has a clean, economical playing style, and his hall of mirrors creates a gorgeous landscape. He's a player who really can be defined as an electronic guitarist.

Looked like the top AFX was the only one with signal coming into the front of the unit, as well as the top unit was the only one with the Input LED's blinking.
The camera panned around a lot, so one can only guess. The two amps certainly were not there for for the audience, they looked like they were for show.
I saw no mikes on the amps and they were too small for the crowd size. But I suspect it helped to fill out sound as well as gave people in the front rows something to listen to.
Maybe two amps just in case one failed. I would suspect Edge is sponsored by both amp manufactures so...
I hate that he makes it look so easy.. Damm...

Not sure if you noticed, but on The Streets Have No Name, (42:22) there is a mic in front of the Vox, and there is no input signal on any of the Axe Fx's. :(

Of course, he's using the AFX again in Still Haven't Found.. :)

I would suspect Edge is sponsored by both amp manufactures so...

No sponsorships as far as I know but Bono and Edge are now on Fender's board of directors. He's pretty much free to use whatever. Also, we don't really know what his signal path is. They all use in-ears so it's possible that they aren't listening to the mic-ed amps at all but who knows. I assume Streets was done through the SDD and AC30.

I thought Bono had entered the stage all weather worn and face bashed in... but it was just Bruce. I thought he did a great job. He adapted the songs to his style and hearing his voice gives me the chills. Chris Martin... well he tried but good for him for achieving the dream of singing with U2 (I liked his 'Substitute' t-shirt).

PS I like that the Edge uses that cheap Fernandez strat with the sustainer in it. Oh, and there may have been a bit of Fender bias up there... 6 strats, 1 fernandez, 1 gretsch (Bono's giveaway), 1 Gibson I think. It's usually more balanced.

Last edited:
No sponsorships as far as I know but Bono and Edge are now on Fender's board of directors. He's pretty much free to use whatever. Also, we don't really know what his signal path is. They all use in-ears so it's possible that they aren't listening to the mic-ed amps at all but who knows. I assume Streets was done through the SDD and AC30.

I thought Bono had entered the stage all weather worn and face bashed in... but it was just Bruce. I thought he did a great job. He adapted the songs to his style and hearing his voice gives me the chills. Chris Martin... well he tried but good for him for achieving the dream of singing with U2 (I liked his 'Substitute' t-shirt).

PS I like that the Edge uses that cheap Fernandez strat with the sustainer in it. Oh, and there may have been a bit of Fender bias up there... 6 strats, 1 fernandez, 1 gretsch (Bono's giveaway), 1 Gibson I think. It's usually more balanced.

That was not a fernandes, it's a strat with sustainer kit

Give the Boss a break, for one thing how old is he now? For another these were not his songs to begin with, so weren't written in a key that even suits him most likely. At least he gave it some passion, unlike that awful Chris Martin attempt which sounded like bad karaoke to me.

Dallas told me all three Axe-Fx's were being used.

I wonder what they were used for b/c I only saw the top lit up just like the other recent shows. His rack seems to be growing again and I really have no idea why... with access to all of the original gear I'm kind of surprised that they don't cop the sounds and go all Axe live.

Back
Top Bottom