The control of output 1/2 and scene change

mokkie

Hello guys,

Please let me ask you two kinds of question regarding external switch and expression pedal.

1. Output 1/2 control with external switch.
Even though now I'm using expression pedal to control the volumn of output 1 and 2 both, I would like to do it with external switch like a boss FS-6 I have.
I found only output 1 can be done with setting "OUT 1 VOL INCR/DECR" on I/O - CLTRL page and it works.
But I don't find any method of how to control output 2 volumn with external switch.
Is it impossible to control both output 1 and 2 with external switch?

2. Scene change with an expression pedal.
I would like to change the scene with an expression pedal but I can not find the way of how to setup.
I know it can be done with two expression pedals.
Is there any method of how it can be achieved?

Please give me any suggestion of method or workaround.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks all and FractalAudio serving this great AX-8.

Sorry for my poor English.
Mokkie

if you insert a volume block at the end of your preset you can control the volume for both outs with a switch but it will be on or off, or how you set a max min.

for scenes with an expression pedal, you can do it but will be tuff to stop on any of the scenes in the middle of the sweep. cc# 34 for scene control, vales of 0 through 7 for scenes 1 through 8.

Thanks for a reply.
Regarding scene change with an expression pedal, it's enough for just 2 scenes to me.
Let's say I'm in scene 1, it moves scene 2 at maximum of pedal then moves scene 1 at minimum of pedal.
However, I don't know how to send cc #34 and any values with an expression pedal.
Please let me know how I can do.
Now I have three expression pedals, pedal 1 for volumn control of output 1/2, pedal 2 for for some modifiers, last one I'd like to use for this scene change if possible.

Thanks a lot.
Mokkie

Let's talk about scenes first.

Scenes are a switching function. There are no values in between scenes. An expression pedal won't smoothly change from one scene to the next. It will be an abrupt change.

It would be simpler to use one of the AX8's built-in footswitches to change scenes. It should be possible to use an expression pedal to change scenes, but that would be awkward. Expression pedals are intended for smooth, gentle changes, not for abrupt ones.

Is it not possible to use a footswitch instead? This would be easier to program and easier to use.

Now, let's talk about volume.

The VOL INCR/DECR function is not like a volume control. It changes the Output 1 volume by a small amount, then saves your preset. When you use INCR/DECR, your preset is permanently changed. This function is not intended for changing volume during performance, when you want a smooth volume change for musical expression. It is intended for making permanent changes to your preset, to make your preset levels match each other.

If you are using the OUTPUT 2 ECHO function to make Output 2 the same as Output 1, then any change you make to Output 1 will also change Output 2. But there is no INCR/DECR function for Output 2.

Reactions: yek
I know a footswitch can be used to chanIge scenes.
Since I had a bad experience to make a mistake for changing a tone, from a backing to solo.
I did not tap the footswitch rightly at that time.
It forces to change the tone at very short time between backing and solo in that song I was playing.
So, from that time I always use expression pedal to change the tone when I have to play that kind of song with gigs like Axe Fx Ultra or others.
Usually I'm using a footswich to change scenes but if I need to change a tone at very short time I use the modifiers to change a tone with the expression pedal.
However, if I can use expression pedal to change the scene I think it allows me to have more flexibility when I want to change a tone.

Thanks.

Regarding volumn control with external switch, I read some told it worths to use for volumn control with external switch in this forum, especially in case of band rehearsal or something like that.
So I thought I would like to know how I can do it by myself too.
I will look into the way of using a volumn block later.
Thanks.

To use an expression pedal to change scenes would be difficult. The MIDI value for Scene 2 is only one step different from the value for Scene 1. That is a very small change to make.

If you must use an expression pedal to change tones, consider a single scene that can produce both tones. Use the expression pedal to change gain, volume, and any other value that you need. This is easier to program and more reliable to use. You can also change bypass states for effects blocks with the expression pedal, and change the levels of a Mixer block.

Regarding the control of volumn with external switch, it suceeded to achieve by midi controller with sensor of pressure namely SoftStep.
If the bottom to top pressure on the midi footswitch it increases the volumn of output while top to bottom pressure decreases it when configured I/O Ctrl OUT1/2 both to CC #11 and SoftStep sends the CC #11 and value according to the state of pressing footswitch.

However, it seems to affect within the scene.
Let's say I'm in scene 1 and the pressure of the footswitch on midi controller causes the volumn up then moved to scene 2 but the output of scene 2 does not get volumn up.
It still keeps the original output level other than the output level increased by MIDI CC #11 and value.
Besides, AX-8 seems not to get linear increment of output volumn regardless the SoftStep shows linear increment of CC value.
I think it is a kind of bug.
Does someone give me any suggestion or workaround?

Thanks.

I don't know much about the SoftStep, so I may not be able to help much.

But you only have one foot to use, because you're standing on the other one. When you change scenes, don't you have to remove pressure from the SoftStep key? And doesn't that cause the value to change back?

SoftStep has many variety functions.
I can choose several way of how it sends the value when the footswitch is released.
The value 0 is sent when it was released or the value is stayed whenever it was released...etc.
I configured second one to SoftStep.
For example, I'm in scene 1 and get increased the output volumn with CC #11 from SoftStep and moved to scene 2.
The output volumn still remains increased as expected when back to scene 1.
I think the parameters on global configuration including the output volumn should hold the value when changed by even external devices like MIDI controller because AX-8 allows it can be set by MIDI cc.
Can't I say it is a kind of bug?

Thanks.

Maybe you have Scene Revert turned on. If you turn that off, scene changes will be retained until you select a new preset.

As you mentioned, Scene Revert is turned on.
However, the result is same after it set to off.
Besides, if I change the preset to other after changing the output volumn then back to the previous preset and scene, it returns the output volumn to the original level.
It works only within the scene.
Global I/O Ctrl - OUT 1/2 with midi cc seems not to do same behavior as expression pedal connected to AX-8.xpe
I think this is bug, or I expect it does same behavior even if using midi cc because we can configure this on same configuration field.

Thanks.

I don't think this is a bug. When you change presets, you would expect to start with the output value that was saved. Most MIDI pedals stop sending values when you stop moving them. So even if you leave the pedal in the middle of its sweep, it is not reporting its position when you change to the next preset or scene.

Please understand that I don't completely understand the issue you're facing. Sometimes your words can be interpreted in different ways, so I can only respond to the problem I think you're having.

Sorry for poor my English and letting you confused because I'm not a native speaker in English.
Anyway, thanks your thought.
My thought is that Global Menu like "OUT 1 (MAIN) VOLUME/ OUT 2 (FXSEND) VOLUME" decides the behavior of how it works and possible values are "PEDAL1", "PEDAL2" or CC value.
The difference between such "PEDAL1" and CC value is just as "METHOD" distinct from "BEHAVIOR".
I think It should do same behaviour according to the value obtained from "METHOD" in view point of consistent user interface or usability even if whatever method is selected.
And when CC is selected it currently does not do same behaviour as "PEDALx" is selected.

I hope my English makes you understand my thought.
Thanks.

I think I understand. And it can work this way if you have a pedal directly connected to the AX8 through a pedal jack, because the AX8 can "read" the pedal value whenever it needs to. But it cannot "read" the value of a MIDI parameter whenever it needs to. It must be explicitly told this by the MIDI controller itself.

Maybe the AX8 could be changed to remember the last MIDI value sent and to act as if this is the current value. If that's what you want, you might post it in the Wish List section.

It would also help to know whether you can achieve the behavior you want using a more traditional MIDI controller instead of the SoftStep.

And don't worry: your English is much, much better than my Japanese.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm currently using an expression pedal directly connected to AX-8 through a pedal jack in order to control the output volumn.
However, if possible I wanted to use a footswitch like BOSS FS-6 instead of expression pedal because I think it is easier to fix the output level than expression pedal.
For example, three times tapping causes the increment of 6 db or 2 tapping causes the decrement of 4 db like that.
In case of expression pedal, when I want to increase a little, I sometimes face the pressing the pedal causing too much volumn os the opposite case.
Anyway, as now what I want to achieve seems impossible I keep going to use the expression pedal to control the output level.

Regarding the change of scene with an expression pedal, although I don't find any method for changing the scene to forward and backword both such as moving to next scene and back to previous scene, to move it forward or move it backward I might use which one because it is just only what I know to change the scene with an expression pedal which makes me never mistake to change the tone if it is needed to change at very short time.

Thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom